The DIY Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

gtl

Re: The DIY Thread

Post by gtl » Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:31 am

Unfortunately, 2 things...

The X3 bracket is 3".. I'm not sure why I didn't measure correctly. My lat pulldown is not 3".

Also, the cables are only 75" long, but Titan's website says 80".

All in all, it only cost me $43 for 2 sets (sale, coupon, points), but I did contact them about a return...

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:58 am

I made some pull blocks out of 2x8 and 4x4 to help with some groin rehab. I am currently using them to increase the incline on my ultra cheap Weslo Cadence treadmill. Ballpark eyeball measurements put the incline at 15*. This is keeping me from replacing my $300 treadmill

Also a small tree fell in my back yard. I’m going to try to turn it into a strongman log. I’ve got most of the bark off of it, which blew up my forearms Popeye style...

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:22 pm

gtl wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:31 am Also, the cables are only 75" long, but Titan's website says 80".
Sounds about right for Titan... :lol:

gtl

Post by gtl » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:19 pm

Allentown wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:22 pm
gtl wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:31 am Also, the cables are only 75" long, but Titan's website says 80".
Even better, the response:
Thank you for contacting Titan. I do want to sincerely apologize for the experience you have had with your order. I want to assure you I am dedicated to providing you with a positive resolution to the issues you are encountering.

I appreciate you sending the photos of your damaged item. Your replacement order has been processed; the order number is SO10591855. It will ship for you on our next business day and arrive to you within 5-7 business days.
Except for, I did not send any pictures.. and I do not know what "replacement" I am getting... an 80" cable? A full replacement pulley kit? Something completely different? Time will tell...

Skander

Post by Skander » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:18 am

gtl wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:19 pm
Allentown wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:22 pm
Even better, the response:
Thank you for contacting Titan. I do want to sincerely apologize for the experience you have had with your order. I want to assure you I am dedicated to providing you with a positive resolution to the issues you are encountering.

I appreciate you sending the photos of your damaged item. Your replacement order has been processed; the order number is SO10591855. It will ship for you on our next business day and arrive to you within 5-7 business days.
Except for, I did not send any pictures.. and I do not know what "replacement" I am getting... an 80" cable? A full replacement pulley kit? Something completely different? Time will tell...
This is further proof of my theory that Titan is actually just a semi-sentient AI with a very limited set of strategies...

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:20 am

My guess is a new pulley kit with an 82" cable will arrive, along with two extra bolts that do not fit any Titan product.

gtl

Post by gtl » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:56 am

Skander wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:18 am This is further proof of my theory that Titan is actually just a semi-sentient AI with a very limited set of strategies...
lol, seems that way
Allentown wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:20 am My guess is a new pulley kit with an 82" cable will arrive, along with two extra bolts that do not fit any Titan product.
an upper pulley hit, with an 82" cable, for a different rack, with 2 extra bolts

gtl

Post by gtl » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:48 am

Actually, they just sent me another same exact X3 Low Pulley. Now I have 3. I emailed them and just asked for a return.

Response:
I have scheduled a pick up with FedEx for your low pulley on 03.39.2019 between 8 am and 6 pm. You will not need any paper work as FedEx will already have this. You also do not have to be home at the time of pick up as long as the package(s) is/are visible. Once the package(s) is/are returned to our warehouse, we will process the refund and it will post to your account within 2-7 business days.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:05 am

Yeah, I think I'll stick with someone like Rogue in the future.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:33 am

I think Titan is ok for simple stuff like racks, and some non-safety attachments (Y Dip bars seem fine), but anything that has too many moving parts invites more opportunities to fuck it up, which I wouldn't trust Titan to manage well.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:49 am

damufunman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:33 am I think Titan is ok for simple stuff like racks, and some non-safety attachments (Y Dip bars seem fine), but anything that has too many moving parts invites more opportunities to fuck it up, which I wouldn't trust Titan to manage well.
Has anyone actually received, on the first try, all the correct parts for any piece of Titan equipment?
I legit wouldn't trust them to send out a one-piece deadlift jack on the first try. They'll ship you a spotter arm welded together upside-down, then a pack of 20 bolts with 17 nuts of varying sizes, then ask to leave the box out for FedEx to pick up on Feb 36 for a return before shipping out two deadlift jacks.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:57 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:49 am
damufunman wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:33 am I think Titan is ok for simple stuff like racks, and some non-safety attachments (Y Dip bars seem fine), but anything that has too many moving parts invites more opportunities to fuck it up, which I wouldn't trust Titan to manage well.
Has anyone actually received, on the first try, all the correct parts for any piece of Titan equipment?
I legit wouldn't trust them to send out a one-piece deadlift jack on the first try. They'll ship you a spotter arm welded together upside-down, then a pack of 20 bolts with 17 nuts of varying sizes, then ask to leave the box out for FedEx to pick up on Feb 36 for a return before shipping out two deadlift jacks.
lol
I've ordered 3 or 4 times from them (not sure why, but email for the squishy blocks isn't showing up). My rack, sandwich J-hooks, squishy blocks, and Y dip attachment all came in without any issues, other than shitty packaging for the dip bars. Nothing missing though, despite the mount side hanging out of the box. Sounds like @gtl just has shit luck with getting stuff shipped, between Titan and Elite FTS...

gtl

Post by gtl » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:28 am

Allentown wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:49 am Has anyone actually received, on the first try, all the correct parts for any piece of Titan equipment?
My t3 foldable rack was good, except for bad instructions that had the west side hole spacing at the top (I figured it out)
My deadlift jack was fine
My viking press handle was fine
My landmine pivot joint was fine, too.. actually they sent me 2 by mistake lol
The replacement jhooks when they finally upgraded to UHMW for my t3 was good

With that said, I probably would never by anything from Titan that cost more than $100. I just don't think its worth the risk.

gtl

Post by gtl » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:18 am

https://i.imgur.com/oQKlSR1.jpg

This guy is an equipment reseller. I'm wondering if I could remove/detach the bench and use this as a low pulley cable stack (rows, etc.). Idk if the opposite end of the weight stack would need some sort of counterbalancing.

Is $150 too much of a low ball?

TheFlush

Post by TheFlush » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:35 am

Would the upright part of this work for a DIY belt squat? If 50" is long enough this could save you from having to buy the plate holders separately and you wouldn't need to drill any holes. All you need to do is mount a pivot point, which isn't hard to do.

damufunman

Post by damufunman » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:45 am

The ~50" might be a bit on the short side, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. Pivot height didn't seem to make a huge difference for me, so forward/backward swing of a shorter arm may not be an issue. You will be limited in having a lower "felt weight" since you'll probably have to use the middle post so your knees don't hit the plates.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:22 pm

I'm not sure how thicc the tube wall is on the Titan plate tree. I'd also definitely want to be able to move the plate holders around until I get things dialed in.

I ordered one of these while they were on sale and am going to try making an attachment out of it:

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:07 pm

I think this will work out really well, just need to play around with position of the plates and eye bolt to get it feeling right before making cuts. I might also dump the eye bolt. It's a forged 1/2 shouldered eye bolt rated to 2200 pounds vertical, but a lot less on an angled load. Cutting open the top of the tube and hooking to a 5/8" bolt run laterally through the upright would probably be a better idea, or at least would keep me from thinking about it ever breaking.

Also need to:

- add a lower hole in the upright. Using one I made for my old rack-mount GHD right now, and it's a bit higher than I'd like.
- get a proper-sized bolt for the pivot point through the upright, only had a 1/2" bolt that was long enough
- cut the end off the crossmember so I can actually hit depth without standing on boxes
- make a kickstand out of the cut piece
- get longer plate holders so it can hold more than 3 plates a side
- get an actual belt squat belt since my dip belt is probably going to explode doing these with any weight

Thank you to those of you who have made these before and provided all of the ideas. I was looking at buying a custom-made belt squat attachment for my rack for a not inconsiderable amount of money. I decided that I really had better try this movement out and make sure I like it before I fork over a pile of money for a "nice" one.

TheFlush

Post by TheFlush » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:35 pm

Why not mount it to one of the exposed 2x4s in the wall behind the rack? Maybe a steel rod through 2 of the studs? I think that is what I want to do when I get around to building one.

Which plate holders are you using?

TheFlush

Post by TheFlush » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:48 pm

How about some of these used pallet rack parts?

108" beams for $9.

https://columbus.craigslist.org/bfs/d/c ... 24239.html