Front squat check

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

mbasic

Re: Front squat check

Post by mbasic » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:16 am

Another thing I've been playing with, while warming up . . .

Just put the bar behind your head or your neck/traps like a HBBS.
Then just try and put your elbows up like a front squat.

If find it funny, if I grip it what most would call a normal clean grip width, with all four fingers (NOT a closed fist), and put it behind my head
and lift my elbows . . . well, I can clearly see there's no way I'm racking on my delts with that same grip setup. . . . the bar
would have to go through my neck. (my forearms are fairly long compared to my upper arms).

But this is good stretch for the elbows / wrists / lats.

Travis

Post by Travis » Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 am

What about the people who are so stiff they can barely touch the back of their necks with their fingertips? Pretty sure I'm the most immobile person on earth who's never been injured.(as in there's no legit reason for me to be this locked up)

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:38 am

Travis wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:49 am What about the people who are so stiff they can barely touch the back of their necks with their fingertips? Pretty sure I'm the most immobile person on earth who's never been injured.(as in there's no legit reason for me to be this locked up)
Yoga and yoghurt for you my friend.

Travis

Post by Travis » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 am

Yeah, I should be doing some kinda mobility stuff on my off days. I've always been stiff as shit, even as a kid the bar would never touch my body on a clean. Putting my foot on the opposite knee without using my hands, forget about it. But I can squat to depth, so I have all the flexibility I'll ever need.(insert eye roll here)

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:37 pm

mgil wrote: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:25 pm Coming back to this, if you’re using FS as an assistance lift, and have no intentions of WL, then getting a proper rack is secondary to the change in bar position and difference in ROM.

But if you’re capable of holding the bar in the proper rack without a tremendous amount of effort, then do that.
In retrospect , this ^.

This is the same deal as people trying to LBBS and fucking their elbows all to shit just for the sake of doing LBBS when there are other good options.

If "it" doesn't come around in a reasonable amount of time, it's probably better just to use the straps and/or Genie grip and/or leg press machine.