Does anyone still lift in gear?

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Hamburgerfan
Possibly Vegan

Does anyone still lift in gear?

Post by Hamburgerfan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:12 pm

I actually like lifting in gear from the half dozen or so times I've tried it on. I'd like to compete in it a little but there's not really much competition around for it. At any given meet there's only one guy in gear competing against himself, who ends up bombing out because he can't get his bench shirt right. Doesn't seem nearly as much fun.

I know powerlifting has been shifting different competing variations of raw (knee wraps/sleeves, monolift/walkout), but how does the future of gear in the sport look? Are there any big (respectable) meets?

OCG

Re: Does anyone still lift in gear?

Post by OCG » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Donno about the scene in the US. What I can say is, train with some other weirdo gearheads. It'll help you get an idea of how shit should fit and work and how to tweak things. Gear needs to be stretch and formed to fit you. Then you training not only needs to fit in with making you stronger, but also with learning to use the gear and wearing it in.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:08 am

There are people who still lift in gear, but I agree with you that the number of lifters is diminishing. 6 years ago, raw really wasn't even a thing. Even the IPF waited a while to have a raw world level event.

In the Chicagoland area, I know the Overkill team lifts in all multi-ply gear. They used to be out in Oswego, but I think they are in Aurora now. I lifted with them on occasion, when one of my training partners was getting ready for WPC worlds.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:33 am

I wanted to also add that Monster Garage in Waukegan (this might be closer for you to hit it on Saturdays) has single and multiply lifters. I think Saturday is their big lifting day, so you could plan to get some geared lifting in then. I haven't been there is a few years though, so I would check and make sure things are still happening. :-)

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:34 am

Oh, and you need to do the Illinois Raw Power Challenge with me. :-) Team Kitten Fury is back!