Press Tip Video

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

Skid

Press Tip Video

Post by Skid » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:58 pm

Strong 315-3 OH Press. He's got a couple of pressing tips near the end that I'm going to try next press workout..

Skid

Re: Press Tip Video

Post by Skid » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:16 pm

Today I compared the wider grip in the video with my normal narrow grip where I hold the bar at the edge of the knurling. I found I was equally strong either way.

I have only trained narrow grip so I will start alternating grips and see which is the superior method as time goes on and weights hopefully go up. I haven't trained the press much lately but it is part of my programming going forward.

Shane
Great Old One

Post by Shane » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:38 pm

This is bringing back memories of the lengthy Nile Delta thread about pressing mechanics, with force diagrams and such. I can't remember what the outcome of that was, if there was one. But I like this dude's vid, and he has a sweet technique. I believe I already do what he does with wrist angle, but will be checking next time I press. The width he uses - little too wide for me - I start getting anterior shoulder pain similar to wide grip bench if I go there. I'm reconciled to having a press that's very tricep limited - the switch to mostly tricep action is where it always dies for me. Pin presses would be useful if I was hunting a max, I guess?

RobUK

Post by RobUK » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:27 am

Skid wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:16 pm Today I compared the wider grip in the video with my normal narrow grip where I hold the bar at the edge of the knurling. I found I was equally strong either way.

I have only trained narrow grip so I will start alternating grips and see which is the superior method as time goes on and weights hopefully go up. I haven't trained the press much lately but it is part of my programming going forward.
Have you read Jordan’s article where he started using a wider grip and a lower starting point (to chest)?

Skid

Post by Skid » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:06 am

RobUK wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:27 am Have you read Jordan’s article where he started using a wider grip and a lower starting point (to chest)?
I have read that but didn't think of it when I tried the wider grip. It seems to me that with the wider grip the bar was lower on my chest, but I can't remember for sure. I press again tomorrow so I'll look closer then. I'll even purposefuly see how low I can get the bar for more pec activation.
Nikipedia wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:25 am Did you guys find much difference between initiating (and dropping the bar back) to the chest* or leaving it floating underneath your chin? I always figured the first would use up more energy, but I've never noticed any difference when making the conscious effort to reduce the ROM.
I'm not a "floater" :) I don't think. I'm pretty sure I touch my chest every rep as my upper chest/lower neck gets raw from the center knurling, but I'll check again for sure.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:22 am

I think a lot of peeps are over doing the narrow grip thing.

It seems to me, going too narrow, the bar is moreso out in front of your body, farther away from your own COM.
As things get heavy, that's going to suck from a balance situation IMO.
I mean, yeah, you still have to get your face out of the way . . . .

If you just go A LITTLE wider, it seems your ulna/radius seem to rotate outwards (view from the top),
and the bar gets closer to your chest/clavaicles. Seems like better balance.

My point of view/experience is from a strict(er) press.

max

Post by max » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:17 pm

I attribute my struggle with press to what @mbasic described.

Here's my amateur theory.

If you flex the elbow, there will be a gap between shoulder joint and the wrist. That's a moment arm you have to deal with both when holding the bar at the bottom and when pressing it up.

The StSt solution is to move that gap into the frontal plane: you keep the wrists above the shoulder at the bottom and move the hips to drive the bar. Moving the hips puts that gap even more in the frontal plane.

Taking a wider grip, puts the gap in the axial plane.

Edit, after reading the "is press necessary thread": the problem with the StSt method is that people extend lower back to orient the gap. That's a problem I've constantly had as well.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:13 am

Nikipedia wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:25 am Did you guys find much difference between initiating (and dropping the bar back) to the chest* or leaving it floating underneath your chin? I always figured the first would use up more energy, but I've never noticed any difference when making the conscious effort to reduce the ROM.

*I am aware that some people cannot get into that position to begin with.
I spent a long time assuming I had to use a floating rack and since switching to racking the bar across my chest I've found it easier to stay tight and breath between reps with less fatigue from holding the bar, plus my bar path is more consistent because the bar doesn't have to dip down as I initiate the press (or start from a potentially inconsistent floating position.)

I also noticed keeping the bar over the midfoot has it slightly lower on my chest/forward of where I am inclined to put it on my own.

MPat

Post by MPat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:41 pm

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:13 am

I spent a long time assuming I had to use a floating rack and since switching to racking the bar across my chest I've found it easier to stay tight and breath between reps with less fatigue from holding the bar, plus my bar path is more consistent because the bar doesn't have to dip down as I initiate the press (or start from a potentially inconsistent floating position.)

I also noticed keeping the bar over the midfoot has it slightly lower on my chest/forward of where I am inclined to put it on my own.
I too needed a floating rack. I’ve payed off fighting for PRs on the press to focus on bench for a while. I tried this guys method for pressing today and really liked it. Granted they were light and for reps, but this method also makes it really easy to utilize a stretch reflex if your going for reps. I work with it for a while and see go strength goes with it.

My pointer finger was right at the edge of the knurling like not people, I moved out about an inch on each side.

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:26 pm

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:13 am

I also assumed I needed a floating rack since I couldn't get the bar on my chest without relaxing a bunch of shit and taking a much wider grip. The clavicles however are the perfect press rack position for me. I didn't even have to widen my grip.

Ditto on all of the benefits of not having to keep the bar floating. I think it's especially noticeable when pressing for reps because trying to hold that tight floating position steady and consistent between reps is hard when you get tired. Having a solid shelf to rest the bar on between reps allows me to take my time between reps and make sure I don't fuck up my valsalva or elbow positioning etc.

Skid

Post by Skid » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:08 pm

I've played around with my press grip a bit. I used to have my index finger right at the edge of the knurling. I tried as wide as having my pinkies on the rings. I've settled on about an inch in on the knurling. Any wider and I seem to lose explosiveness from the bottom which is critical when pressing heavy.