Why is my front squat weak sauce?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Kregna

Why is my front squat weak sauce?

Post by Kregna » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:54 am

I've been front squatting twice a week for 2-3 weeks now (which is as much as I've ever done it in the past), adding 2.5kg/5lbs each time. The past few sessions have had me feeling like I'm barely keeping the bar on my shoulders. However, when I watch videos of my squatting, it doesn't look like I'm leaning forward or anything. This makes me think the form is okay, it's just the weight is at the limit of my ability.

Today I did 122.5kg / 270lbs for a difficult 3x3. Assuming I could get 125kg for a 3RM, I would estimate my 1RM to be 137.5kg. I estimate my 1rm back squat to be 210kg, meaning my front squat is only 65% of my back squat!

I thought it might be low from just not having done the movement before, but now that I've been doing it for a few weeks (and starting low - adding a little weight each time), I'm thinking the quick gains from getting familiar with the movement are over...

Here is one of today's sets (sorry 4 the outline of my hot ass)

Thanks
Last edited by Kregna on Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:56 am

That's a lot of estimates...
Also, I'm pretty confident you could have gotten two more reps in that video?

Kregna

Re: Why is my front squat weak sauce?

Post by Kregna » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:01 pm

Sure, but the back squat I'm confident with because of my historical 1rm vs 3rm. For the front squat, I used Wendler's calculator, which I think produces a reasonable number. Even if I compared today's front squats to my 3x3 back squat weight (I could probably do 185 for 3x3), it still produces a similar %

I agree that they don't look very grindy, but I'm having to use my hands to keep the bar from falling off my shoulders

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:17 pm

Kregna wrote: I agree that they don't look very grindy, but I'm having to use my hands to keep the bar from falling off my shoulders
I don't think I understand this- isn't that what the hands are supposed to do in a front squat?

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Yes, you could be right... I'm new to the movement so I might be wrong, and this is normal. I didn't think you were supposed to be so reliant on the hands to stop the bar falling, and I don't think I can add much more weight before I start failing reps by being unable to keep the bar on the delts

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:33 pm

Seems to me the limit to FS is going to be the ability to keep the bar in the rack, yeah, probably upper back (or wrists?). Everything else has the strength to move 210, when you take the upper back mostly out, right?
That's how it feels for me, doing about the same weight- everything moves well, but it feels like I'm going to be crushed.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:49 pm

Yeah I have heard the upper back will be what limits the front squat. I'm just surprised at how low my front squat is compared to my back squat. I've seen several people on SS say that their front squat was 80% of their back squat when trained. Maybe that was high bar, though

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:22 pm

I bet you front squat more than me.

I don't mess with them anymore. Just use SSB.

If you're doing it for weightlifting, I guess that's different. Couple of people recommended doing a loaded stretch in the front rack position when I was doing FS and having trouble with them.

Murelli

Post by Murelli » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:25 pm

Kregna wrote:Yeah I have heard the upper back will be what limits the front squat. I'm just surprised at how low my front squat is compared to my back squat. I've seen several people on SS say that their front squat was 80% of their back squat when trained. Maybe that was high bar, though
Did you say "video or it didn't happen" when they claimed those 80%? My experience is similar - upper back limits the lift. It will get better with all that oly lifting, you're just impacient and comparing yourself to what others claim to have done.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 pm

Try to stay more vertical. Get your knees forward and out even sooner than your used to.

ETA:

It will keep moving up with practice.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:34 pm

Your Front squat is fine form wise.

Your rack and whatnot will become more comfortable (er um . . .less non-torturous) and more familiar with time.

You look fairly upright in that last rep IMO, esp for a taller dude. (taller in a Olympic lifter context)

You are comparing % of your SSLBBS to a front squat I assume.

Keep in mind most Oly peeps compare %-wise their OlympicHBBS to Frontsquat. (~85% IIRC).

So 65% doesn't surprise me, and you could've done 5 reps as others said.

I wouldn't get caught up on those percentages.

Kregna

Post by Kregna » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:21 pm

Manveer wrote:I bet you front squat more than me.

I don't mess with them anymore. Just use SSB.

If you're doing it for weightlifting, I guess that's different. Couple of people recommended doing a loaded stretch in the front rack position when I was doing FS and having trouble with them.
Yeah, I'm doing it for weightlifting. Thanks I will google this loaded stretch (I find I already have to warm up my wrists otherwise I get pain during the FS warm ups)
Murelli wrote:
Did you say "video or it didn't happen" when they claimed those 80%? My experience is similar - upper back limits the lift. It will get better with all that oly lifting, you're just impacient and comparing yourself to what others claim to have done.
I would've expected more carry over from Low Bar Squats. It might be that these are the 80ish% of my high bar and it's all fine
mgil wrote:Try to stay more vertical. Get your knees forward and out even sooner than your used to.

ETA:

It will keep moving up with practice.
Thanks
mbasic wrote:Your Front squat is fine form wise.

Your rack and whatnot will become more comfortable (er um . . .less non-torturous) and more familiar with time.

You look fairly upright in that last rep IMO, esp for a taller dude. (taller in a Olympic lifter context)

You are comparing % of your SSLBBS to a front squat I assume.

Keep in mind most Oly peeps compare %-wise their OlympicHBBS to Frontsquat. (~85% IIRC).

So 65% doesn't surprise me, and you could've done 5 reps as others said.

I wouldn't get caught up on those percentages.
Cool, thank you. Is it fine to use my hands to hold the bar up as much as possible if my form is similar to in the video? If so, I will just keep increasing and use my hands more to keep it in place. Just felt like I was cheating the movement

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Is your clean limited by your front squat now? If not, have you considered using straps?