A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

Clearwater47

May 13, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Mon May 13, 2024 6:51 pm

High Bar Squat
195 pounds - 2 sets x 6 reps

Goal = 2 sets x 4-6 reps
Ran into a couple of mini grinders on the second set. I felt plenty strong, but I mis-grooved a couple of reps (not sure exactly where I went wrong on them). Still plan to add weight next time.

Skiers: Rest Pause
30 pounds x 20 reps (10/6/4)
Goal = 15-20 reps
Really not happy with the rep quality. I felt it in my triceps more than rear delts. Definitely will not be added weight even though I technically hit my rep goal. I'll either keep the weight the same and try for better reps, or increase the rep range and decrease the weight. I'll have to think about it...

Single Leg Standing Hamstring Curl: Rest Pause
Left Leg = 45 pounds x 19 reps (7/5/7)
Right Leg = 45 pounds x 26 reps (14/8/4)

Goal = 20-25 reps
You read that correctly - left leg was pretty weird. It was entirely because of the setup. I added a second carabiner thinking it would make things easier. It help with getting the ankle strap hooked up, but the shorter range of motion actually made the reps harder. I removed a carabiner on the third set and did more than the second set. Used that same setup for the right leg. Hopefully I remember this next time around...

Cable Donkey Calf Raise
80 pounds - 3 sets x 15 reps
Goal = 3 sets x 10-15 reps
Lowered the weight to focus on better reps. I'm happy with the results today. Hit my rep goal but I'm not sure if I'll add weight or not. I want to prioritize good reps on this exercise because I don't see a huge benefit to doing them with 200 pounds instead of 100. If anything I should probably do them rest pause, or as AMRAP's with longer rest times.

Video shows the second set of squats and the first set of Leg Curls (left leg):

Clearwater47

May 15, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:06 pm

Overhead Press: Rest Pause
90 pounds x 16 reps (9/4/3)
Goal = 10-15 reps
Stricter reps today. Happy about that. Will add weight next time.

Incline DB Press: Rest Pause
50lb DB's x 17 reps (8/5/4)
Goal = 15-20 reps
I did 14 reps on the first set with this weight last time, but it was done as the first exercise of the day. Doing it after OHP had a much bigger impact than I expected. Still ended up within the rep range though.

Leaning Lateral Raise: Rest Pause
Left Arm = 20lb DB's x 23 reps (11/8/4)
Right Arm = 20lb DB's x 24 reps (10/8/6)

Goal = 15-20 reps
Right arm was a bit weird, but the rep dropoff was smaller because I got more locked in on the movement with each set. I'll add weight next time.

Overhead Cable Triceps Extension: Rest Pause
25 pounds x 27 reps (16/8/3)
Goal = 20-25 reps
Real good work here. Squeezed everything out of these reps. Weight will increase next time.

Long day today. I got a little over 4 hours sleep last night and I don't function well when short of sleep. Ended up skipping the meals I had prepped and going out to get Chipotle burrito and chips, and a fancy, sugary coffee. Then after work picked up the kids and stopped for Ice Cream. So I was fueled by all kinds of good stuff, but probably not as 'good' as @SaviorSelf's, lol. Workout didn't even start until after 9PM but I was feeling surprisingly decent and the session went well. I'll probably be dragging tomorrow - it's pretty normal for me to have a day lag when I end up short of sleep.

SaviorSelf

Re: The Flywheel Effect

Post by SaviorSelf » Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 pm

The best PWO food I've found to be is ramen. The stuff I buy is about 600 cals per package, not the usual 400ish packages. It's got water, salts, and easy digesting carbs that don't bloat you up. And I haven't tracked it well enough to be sure, but I can swear there's a high correlation between good training and having chocolate milk in the fridge lol

The old school theory (may be BS) behind it was that bodybuilders would drink chocolate milk after their workouts to spike their insulin. Not exactly sure the biology there but it seems to work for me

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:40 am

SaviorSelf wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 8:46 pm The best PWO food I've found to be is ramen. The stuff I buy is about 600 cals per package, not the usual 400ish packages. It's got water, salts, and easy digesting carbs that don't bloat you up. And I haven't tracked it well enough to be sure, but I can swear there's a high correlation between good training and having chocolate milk in the fridge lol

The old school theory (may be BS) behind it was that bodybuilders would drink chocolate milk after their workouts to spike their insulin. Not exactly sure the biology there but it seems to work for me
As if I need a logical reason to drink chocolate milk, lol. But actually, I think it's been years since I've had any. I try to keep it out of the house because the kids would be wanting to drink it constantly.

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Thu May 16, 2024 1:30 pm

If bodybuilders are drinking chocolate milk after a workout to spike insulin hormones, it’s probably something that kids don’t need to be drinking throughout the day lol

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu May 16, 2024 3:24 pm

SaviorSelf wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 1:30 pm If bodybuilders are drinking chocolate milk after a workout to spike insulin hormones, it’s probably something that kids don’t need to be drinking throughout the day lol
Exactly! I need a secret refrigerator, lol.

Clearwater47

May 16, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:24 pm

Barbell Row
185 pounds - 2 sets x 8 reps

Goal = 2 sets x 6-8 reps
Had previously been doing Deadlifts here, but had planned to replace it with a row variation. I was thinking it would be T-Bar rows, but then I started seeing Savior posting about doing BB Rows and just had an urge to do some, so here we are...

I've never really been strong at rowing movements, and nothing has changed on that front. Last few reps were a struggle. Felt good overall though, and I expect I'll be able to progress as a result of technical improvement alone over the next couple times.

Incline Curl: Rest Pause
32.5lb DB's x 21 reps (11/6/4)
Goal = 15-20 reps
Not bad at all. I'm noticing my strength is evening out between left and right arms. I failed on the exact same rep with both arms, getting just slightly more range of motion with the right arm. Good to see that progress on the left side.

Lat Pulldown - Medium MAG: Rest Pause
110 pounds x 20 reps (11/6/3)
Goal = 20-25 reps
First time using this attachment in quite a while. I picked the weight based upon what I'd recently done with a wide grip MAG attachment. I expected to be stronger with the medium grip, but that really wasn't the case at all. Of course, I wasn't doing BB Rows before them previously, so that may very well have something to do with it now that I think about it...

Reverse Cable Curl: Rest Pause
30 pounds x 20 reps (11/5/4)
Goal = 15-20 reps
Hit my rep goal so I'll add weight next time.

Another solid session. I'm finding my rep breakdowns by set are pretty consistent on the rest pause stuff. I think what that says is that my effort level is pretty consistent across the board, with is obviously a good thing. Legs tomorrow.

Clearwater47

May 19, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun May 19, 2024 3:38 pm

Hatfield Squat
270 pounds - 2 sets x 6 reps
Goal = 2 sets x 4-6 reps
Somehow this is getting easier each week instead of harder. Felt like I could've done 10 reps on the first set, and still probably had a couple more in me on the second set. Really good range of motion too. I'll continue to 5 pound weight increases.

Rear Delt Fly: Rest Pause
25 pounds x 22 reps (11/7/4)
Goal = 20-25 reps
I struggle to tell when the range of motion is noticeably reduced on this exercise. I did a few more reps than what's listed on each set, but made my best guess on how many full range of motion reps I completed. I suppose I might need to start recording these so I can see what the range of motion actually is...

Lying Leg Curl: Rest Pause
115 pounds x 11 reps (8/3)
90 pounds x 7 reps

Goal = 15-20 reps
Should probably start with less weight next time. I pulled off a 25lb plate for the final set because I wasn't sure I'd be able to do even 2 reps with 115.

SSB Calf Raise
15 pounds - 3 sets x 15 reps
Did these relatively slow and controlled. Solid reps throughout.

Expected to do this workout yesterday, but I had to go to a wedding and the timing just made it impossible. Will probably do my push workout tomorrow rather than taking a rest day.

Here's video of the first set of Hatfield Squats:

DanCR

Re: May 19, 2024

Post by DanCR » Sun May 19, 2024 4:19 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:38 pm Hatfield Squat
Goal = 2 sets x 4-6 reps
Somehow this is getting easier each week instead of harder. Felt like I could've done 10 reps on the first set, and still probably had a couple more in me on the second set. Really good range of motion too. I'll continue to 5 pound weight increases.
Looked excellent. Be sure to wipe the grass off your ass.

MailmanMuscle

Post by MailmanMuscle » Sun May 19, 2024 8:29 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 3:38 pm Hatfield Squat
Goal = 2 sets x 4-6 reps
Somehow this is getting easier each week instead of harder.
Here's video of the first set of Hatfield Squats:
Is it possible that this training thing is paying off and you’re getting stronger? 😁

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Mon May 20, 2024 6:30 pm

MailmanMuscle wrote: Sun May 19, 2024 8:29 pmIs it possible that this training thing is paying off and you’re getting stronger? 😁
:lol: Good point. I guess this stuff works after all, lol.

Clearwater47

May 20, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Mon May 20, 2024 6:31 pm

Bench Press:
150 Pounds - 2 Sets x 8 Reps

Goal = 2 sets x 6-8 Reps
Bench is feeling the best it ever has from a technical standpoint. It's enabling me to push through hard reps, and I had a couple of very slow reps I was able to push through today.

Bulldozer Lateral Raise: Rest Pause
Left Arm =30lb DB's x 30 Reps (15/9/6)
Right Arm = 27.5lb DB's x 30 Reps (15/9/6)

Goal = 15-20 Reps
Still making good improvements on this movement. Did more reps than last time with more weight than last time. Still crushing my rep goal. I'll add weight next time.

Behind the Neck Press: Rest Pause
65 Pounds x 25 Reps (14/6/5)
Goal = 20-25 Reps
Added 3 reps. Great improvement. Weight will go up next time.

Single Arm French Press: Rest Pause
22.5lb DB's x 18 Reps (8/6/4)
Goal = 15-20 Reps
Went into this pretty fatigued because I tried doing a 2-handed french press and didn't like how it felt after the first set. Then tried doing single arm with 25lb db's and it did not want to move. Considering that, I'm pretty happy to have done 18 reps. I may give some thought to putting a different triceps exercise in this position.

SaviorSelf

Post by SaviorSelf » Mon May 20, 2024 6:40 pm

Those squats look really interesting especially with holding the rack for support. I bet it could let you “sit back” a lot more cause your center of gravity doesn’t need to be over your feet

How do the BTN presses feel? (Feel safe, hitting the shoulder good etc?) I’m tempted to try them

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Tue May 21, 2024 8:08 am

SaviorSelf wrote: Mon May 20, 2024 6:40 pm Those squats look really interesting especially with holding the rack for support. I bet it could let you “sit back” a lot more cause your center of gravity doesn’t need to be over your feet

How do the BTN presses feel? (Feel safe, hitting the shoulder good etc?) I’m tempted to try them
Hatfields are awesome.
Yes, they let you play around with the bar position relative to your body rather than needing to always keep it over mid-foot.
Also, you don't need to be hyper focused on technique and can really focus on moving the weight with your legs.
As someone who lifts at home and has limited options, I've found these to be maybe the best option for targeting my quads with a heavy load.

I have mixed feelings about the BTN Press. They feel safe for sure. But I eased into them VERY slowly - over the course of about a month, and would recommend not trying to dive in head first with a challenging weight.
I think they can be really good as an accessory movement since they can help with flexibility/range of motion and general shoulder health when done correctly.
I don't think they're great as a primary shoulder exercise, just because of the inherent limitation on the amount of weight you can move compared to other options.
So just depends upon what purpose you want them to serve in your programming.

Clearwater47

May 21, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Tue May 21, 2024 5:20 pm

Close Grip Lat Pulldown: Rest Pause
115 Pounds x 24 Reps (15/5/4)
Goal = 15-20 Reps
Crushed this today. Not that it matters, but for some reason on this exercise I've consistently had a huge drop off in reps after the first set. I'm probably pushing the first set further than I am on other exercises.

Hammer Curl: Rest Pause
37.5lb DB's x 32 Reps (17/10/5)
Goal = 20-25 Reps
Been doing these with a little bit of momentum the last couple of times and really like how it feels much more than when I keep it strict.
I did the same number of reps as last time with more weight. I'll add another 2.5 pounds next time.

Meadows Row: Rest Pause
Left Arm = 55 Pounds x 24 Reps (12/7/5)
Right Arm = 55 Pounds x 24 Reps (15/8/6)

Goal = 20-25 Reps
Kind of a weird thing to be commenting on for a row, but I ended up with a sore left knee after doing these. Probably need to make an adjustment to my foot placement. After giving it some thought, I seem to remember when I did these in the past my foot was very close to the plate, and I was probably too far away today. I expect the knee will be just fine tomorrow, and the fix should be easy enough, as long as I remember.

Monkey Row: Rest Pause
37.5lb DB's x 20 Reps (9/6/5)
Goal = 10-15 reps

I'm starting to notice the effects of doing this session the day after a push session. I feel it especially in my shoulders when doing rows. Not a big deal at this point - just something to keep an eye on.

Clearwater47

May 24, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri May 24, 2024 7:15 pm

Good Morning
125 pounds - 2 sets x 8 reps

Goal = 2 sets x 6-8 reps
Still trying to get a good feel for the range of motion on this exercise. I lowered the bar to pins today to get some consistency. I kind of prefer doing them to pins I think, and may continue to do them this way.

Face Pull
35 pounds - 3 sets x 20 reps

Goal = 3 sets x 12-15 reps
This finally got hard on the last few reps after being fairly easy up to this point. I'll add another 2.5 pounds next time.

Walking Lunge
30lb DB's x 12/10 reps

Goal = 2 sets x 8-12 reps
Did these with shorter strides and oh my goodness did that hit the quads more. Definitely will continue to do them like this since the quad work is the entire reason I'm doing them. I'm expecting to be feeling these tomorrow.

SSB Calf Raise
205 pounds x 20/17 reps

Goal = 2-3 sets x 10-15 reps
Not really much rhyme or reason to what I'm doing on calf raises. It's kind of all across the board. I'm doing lighter weights and focusing on the contraction, and when I do heavier weights I'm focusing on the stretch.

Knee is feeling a little cranky after the lunges. Should have plenty of rest time though - I'm headed out of town for the holiday weekend.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Sat May 25, 2024 4:22 am

What helped me in the past with knee issues was wall-sits, reducing the load on squats (mini-esque deloads), and GHRs, but yours doesn't seem too severe (so nothing to fret over). The recovery should do you good and enjoy your holiday weekend :)

Clearwater47

May 27, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Mon May 27, 2024 6:03 pm

Close Grip Pin Bench: Rest Pause
120 pounds x 30 reps (18/7/5)
Goal = 15-20 reps
Managed 1 more rep than last time with 5 extra pounds. Definitely can't complain about that. Weight will go up 5 pounds again next time.
Sometimes it seems like I'm stronger with a close grip than with wide or medium.

High Pull: Rest Pause
105 pounds x 24 reps (12/7/5)
Goal = 15-20 reps
These felt fantastic today. The movement seemed to finally click and I made the rep goal pretty easily. Weight will increase again next time.

Incline Fly Press: Rest Pause
37.5lb DB's x 23 reps (12/6/5)
Goal = 20-25 reps
Decent. Weight will stay the same and I'll try to increase reps next time.

6-Ways
5lb Plates - 3 sets x 10 reps

Goal = 3 sets x 6-10 reps
Second set shown in the video below. I think I actually did 11 reps in the set that's shown, but didn't have time to watch it back and double check. I'll probably keep the weight the same next time and work on controlling the weight a bit better, because I know that even a small weight increase on this is going to make it really difficult.

Clearwater47

May 28, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Tue May 28, 2024 8:08 pm

Pullup: Rest Pause
BW x 15 reps (8/4/3)
Goal = 10-15 reps
Added 2 reps and hit my goal. I'll add weight next time.

Cable Curl: Rest Pause
37.5 pounds x 26 reps (14/7/5)
Goal = 20-25 reps
5 more reps than last time. Will add weight to this one as well.

Cable Row: Rest Pause
130 pounds x 21 reps (12/6/3)
Goal = 15-20 reps
My son made me bust out laughing on the last set. I was grunting louder than necessary just because, and he starting saying "Heave! Ho! Heave! Ho!". Never heard him say that before and it was freaking hilarious. I hit my rep goal and will add weight next time.

Barbell Wrist Curls: Rest Pause
75 pounds x 30 reps (15/9/6)
Goal = 15-20 pounds
Will add 5 more pounds next time.

Clearwater47

May 30, 2024

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu May 30, 2024 7:30 pm

Single Leg Extension: Rest Pause
Left Leg = 85 pounds x 22 reps (13/5/4)
Right Leg = 85 pounds x 23 reps (13/6/4)

Goal = 15-20 reps
First time doing these in a while. I picked a weight I was almost positive I could do for 20 reps and that turned out to be the case. Will add 5 pounds next time.

Skiers: Rest Pause
30 pounds x 22 reps (11/7/4)
Goal = 15-20 reps
Shored up the rep quality and still managed to add a couple of reps. Will add 5 pounds next time.

Single Leg Standing Hamstring Curl: Rest Pause
Left Leg = 45 pounds x 29 reps (13/8/8)
Right Leg = 45 pounds x 32 reps (16/9/7)

Goal = 20-25 reps
Man...I get weird results on this every time. I did 10 more reps than last time with the same weight on the left leg. Also weirdly did the same number of reps on the second and third reps. Also added 6 reps on the right leg. Weight will get increased next time.

Cable Donkey Calf Raise
100 pounds - 3 sets x 15 reps

They were calf raises...

Been exhausted and not feeling well. A bit better today. I'll take a rest day tomorrow.