The Story of The Bodybuilding Powerlifter

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

DCR

Re: 19 Days To Go

Post by DCR » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:26 am

MailmanMuscle wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:57 pm Seated Cable Row- done with what I call the “inverted handlebars” - neutral grip barely outside of torso, cambered handle
70 lbs/15 reps
add-set warmup: 70/4 + 100/4 + 140/4 + 180/2
180/14 - used Versa Gripps for this; ROM may have been short on last rep or two

An “add-set” is what I call something I saw in a John Meadows video, which is basically the opposite of a drop-set, and none of the rounds in the set are done to failure.
I hadn't heard of this concept and am intrigued. Is it essentially just a no rest warmup, outside of changing the pin / plates / what have you? Or did Meadows recommend / have a use for it for work sets as well?

Clearwater47

Re: 19 Days To Go

Post by Clearwater47 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:49 am

DCR wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:26 am
MailmanMuscle wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:57 pm Seated Cable Row- done with what I call the “inverted handlebars” - neutral grip barely outside of torso, cambered handle
70 lbs/15 reps
add-set warmup: 70/4 + 100/4 + 140/4 + 180/2
180/14 - used Versa Gripps for this; ROM may have been short on last rep or two

An “add-set” is what I call something I saw in a John Meadows video, which is basically the opposite of a drop-set, and none of the rounds in the set are done to failure.
I hadn't heard of this concept and am intrigued. Is it essentially just a no rest warmup, outside of changing the pin / plates / what have you? Or did Meadows recommend / have a use for it for work sets as well?
Intrigued as well... Another question I had is if you're trying to maintain the same RPE/RIR across all sets?

MailmanMuscle

18 Days To Go

Post by MailmanMuscle » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:48 pm

DCR wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:26 am I hadn't heard of this concept and am intrigued. Is it essentially just a no rest warmup, outside of changing the pin / plates / what have you? Or did Meadows recommend / have a use for it for work sets as well?
That’s exactly what it is. I think I heard him say that if you’re really pinched for time, you could do it for a work set. But in the videos I saw him doing it, he was using it as a warmup. He also had a protocol that was a bit more standardized than my application. I think it was 4 reps or 5 reps, but whatever it was, you hit that number of reps at each weight, and kept going until either you couldn’t hit that number, or you reached failure at that number. I don’t always do the same number of reps with each round of the set, and sometimes I’ll overshoot my expected working weight on purpose with 1-2 reps at the end of the warmup.
Clearwater47 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:49 am Intrigued as well... Another question I had is if you're trying to maintain the same RPE/RIR across all sets?
By “across all sets”, do you mean within the add set, or all sets for an exercise?
I’m going to guess you mean the latter, and answer yes, I’m trying to keep the same RPE/RIR on work sets. Those are the sets I put in bold when I do my log entries. It’s typically only one or two per exercise, and it’s RPE >= 10, RIR <+0 on work sets 😄 The highest I want to be on a warmup is probably 3-4 RIR, and that’s at the absolute most.

Actually, let me quantify that a little better. From now until May 4-6 (that’s 5-7 days before the show) I’m not going past failure on any set, and I’m not doing more than one work set on anything with the possible exception of abs and calves. I’ll be at 0-1 RIR until then. Once I’m about 4-5 days from the show, I’ll be using my 3-4 RIR “absolute most” warmup threshold as the ceiling for work sets, and I’ll probably do 2-3 work sets for whatever exercises I’m doing. I haven’t figured out exactly what I’m doing in the last few days. The only things I have decided about that week’s training is that my last leg day will be either Monday or Tuesday, and I don’t know about Friday because I get my first round of spray tan at 11:45 that morning. I don’t think sweating or showering helps, but I’ll ask how that works.

Tuesday 4/23/24: 17,038 steps, 7.8 miles, 8 floors climbed

One last observation, and it’s not something I’ve just noticed, but I think it’s my first time sharing it here: I look better at night. My muscles look more full, lines are more visible, separation is better, veins are more veiny - everything looks better. The only time that isn’t true is if I’ve eaten something that makes me bloated. My guess is that it has to do with all food, beverage, salt, etc. that I’ve consumed over the course of the day. Unfortunately, I will be on stage at about 8:30 am.

In order, my top 3 priorities from now to the show are:
1. Stay healthy and intact so I make it to the stage.
2. Posing, posing, posing (I have a one-on-one virtual session with my posing coach on Monday)
3. Figure out how to replicate the way I look at night in the morning.

MarkKO

Re: The Story of The Bodybuilding Powerlifter

Post by MarkKO » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 am

Wouldn't the answer to that be to try to mirror as closely as possible what you do over the day the night before the show?

My guess would be that it's down to how much water, carbs and salt you hold by the evening on an average day. If you can get an idea of what those levels are, wouldn't you be able to work out a way to make sure they're in place by 0830? Close to, at any rate. You could probably play around with how to achieve that over the next week or so right?

MailmanMuscle

2 Weeks To Go, 2 Workouts To Log

Post by MailmanMuscle » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:35 pm

MarkKO wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:28 am Wouldn't the answer to that be to try to mirror as closely as possible what you do over the day the night before the show?

My guess would be that it's down to how much water, carbs and salt you hold by the evening on an average day. If you can get an idea of what those levels are, wouldn't you be able to work out a way to make sure they're in place by 0830? Close to, at any rate. You could probably play around with how to achieve that over the next week or so right?
Yes sir, I think that’s the answer. I also think you’re on track with the water/salt/sodium combo. The challenge in replicating what I do in an average day is that I’ll be asleep for a big chunk of that night time before the show. I’ll tinker around with some things over the next several days, but ultimately I can’t get stressed over it. It’s not that I look bad in the morning. Also, I’m usually at work at 8:30. I have no idea what I look like at that time. For all I know, it could be better than when I wake up, and also better than at night. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Since I have 2 workouts to log, I’m only going to list the work sets for each exercise to make it easier for all of us to get through. 😁

Wednesday 4/24/24: 16,101 steps, 7.3 miles, 8 floors climbed

Lower #2, Planet Fitness

Smith Machine Good Morning
140 lbs + bar/8 reps

I tried a suggestion from Dr. Mike, and set the safety pins at the low point of my reps as a way to standardize my range of motion, and ensure that I stay tight and control the eccentric. Good call from him - it helps.

Smith Machine Squat - high bar, sitting on my ankles, video of heaviest set posted below
*190+/7 - *This was supposed to be a work set. I added my belt, but forgot to increase the weight like I planned for this set. No wonder it felt easy.
230 lbs + bar/7 reps
180+/8

Calf Press - on plate loaded leg press
180 lbs + sled/20 reps
230+/20

Seated Leg Curl
130 lbs/13 reps - tried a rep at 145, aborted that mission and dropped it by a plate

Thursday 4/25/24: 14,322 steps, 6.3 miles, 10 floors climbed

Friday 4/26/24: 15,827 steps, 6.9 miles, 13 floors climbed

Upper #3, Gold’s Gym

Rogue Bar Bench Press - neutral grip
185 lbs/9 reps

I’m replacing these with dumbbell bench press - flat or very low incline - after the show.

Cable Pulldown - very wide, MAG (anchor) handle
180 lbs/13 reps

Seated Lateral Raise Machine - the kind where you bend your arms and put your forearms against the pads
60 lbs/20 reps

Standing Triceps Pressdown - back against pad to prevent cheating, and I guess for stability
60 lbs/13 reps

Standing Cable Curl
70 lbs/18 reps

I made some clips from last night into a reel that I posted to my Instagram and Facebook pages. It was inspired by all the comments I’ve been getting lately from people telling me how slim or skinny I look. I don’t know if they realize it or not, but it’s not a compliment. I can’t wait to start eating and gaining again. Fortunately, with only 2 more weeks until I finish this story, I can see the stage lights at the end of this tunnel.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:16 pm

@MailmanMuscle, you’re a combatant in a competition. Winning requires certain things, all of which you’re knocking out of the park. Impressing normies isn’t one of those things. Keep going and don’t even glance back.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:17 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:16 pm @MailmanMuscle, you’re a combatant in a competition. Winning requires certain things, all of which you’re knocking out of the park. Impressing normies isn’t one of those things. Keep going and don’t even glance back.
+1

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:21 pm

I don't follow bodybuilding-type stuff so I have no idea what to compare it to but your back looks incredible on those pulldowns.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 pm

Your pics on IG look phenomenal. Nowhere near stringy. You'll look very large indeed under the lights with some oil, carbs and salt.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:54 pm

The muscular details on your back, just simply amazing.

MailmanMuscle

T-Minus 10 Days, And Counting…

Post by MailmanMuscle » Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:32 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:16 pm you’re a combatant in a competition. Winning requires certain things, all of which you’re knocking out of the park. Impressing normies isn’t one of those things. Keep going and don’t even glance back.
Renascent wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:17 pm +1
Thank you, and you guys are right about keeping focus. I’m too deep into this to let people psyche me out, even if that isn’t their intention.
cgeorg wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:21 pm I don't follow bodybuilding-type stuff so I have no idea what to compare it to but your back looks incredible on those pulldowns.
Thank you sir! 🙏🏾
MarkKO wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:05 pm Your pics on IG look phenomenal. Nowhere near stringy. You'll look very large indeed under the lights with some oil, carbs and salt.
Thank you sir! And I think I’ve found that having consumed salt is one of the contributing factors to why I (think I) look better at night. I have been experimenting with different carbs on the mornings of my days off of work, but for some reason, haven’t thought about testing salt. I’ll do that Sunday and Monday morning and compare it to how I’ve looked on previous mornings without extra salt.

For the benefit of those who don’t follow me on Instagram, here are the aforementioned progress pics. They compare where I was when I started this contest prep to where I was on Sunday morning, 13 days before the show.

This is a training log, so I suppose I should log my recent training, even though that seems almost like an afterthought at this stage. Sunday’s training is barely worth mentioning.

Saturday 4/27/24: 9,669 steps, 4.3 miles, 13 floors climbed

Sunday 4/28/24: 4,942 steps, 2.0 miles, 8 floors climbed

Lower #3, Gold’s Gym

Here’s the summary: I did some calf raises and hyperextensions, and just as I was getting into the meat and potatoes of this session (starting with leg curls), our oldest daughter called us and informed us of a power outage in the neighborhood. I went online and reported the outage to our utility company. They said it was an estimated 2-3 hours before power was restored. Our children aren’t little (18, 13, 11) but they don’t have any experience with power outages or comparable challenges. So my wife and I aborted the gym mission and went home.

Monday 4/29/24: 7,334 steps, 2.8 miles, 9 floors climbed

I had a one on one virtual session with the posing coach who has been teaching the group classes I have attended. I think this investment is going to pay off. One of the mandatory poses is “abdominals and thighs” (with hands over your head). I could not figure out how to do it in a way that would keep either of my thighs flexed, and she helped me figure out a way to do it and make it look good. Two other poses are “front lat spread” and “rear lat spread” (both with hands on waist or hips). This whole time, I’ve been doing it with my hands too low. She had me position my hands just under my ribs - higher than I’ve been placing them - and all of a sudden, my lats got an inch or two wider. A few other things got fine tuned as well.

But she said something else that has been at the forefront of my mind, and it has increased both my confidence and anxiety. Unsolicited, she said I have a very good chance to win the masters 40+ (as if she expects me to win), and depending on who shows up, I have a legit chance at the open. Now I’m nervous. I didn’t have any expectations before. After hearing that, now I might be disappointed if I don’t win something. I guess I better put my best foot forward over the next week and a half.

Tuesday 4/30/24: 12,689 steps, 5.6 miles, 12 floors climbed

Upper #1, Planet Fitness

This was supposed to start with dips and chin-ups. But every dip and chin-up station was in use, so rather than wait, I improvised.

Cable Pulldown - short bar, underhand grip
70 lbs/15 reps
add set: 100/5 + 140/5 + 160/5
180/11 - I used Versa Gripps for these

Seated Triceps Press Machine - I did these leaning forward, barely sitting on the seat pad to mimic a dip
80 lbs/10 reps
add set: 125/6, 6 (shifted seat position after the first 6)+ 160/10
test set: 205/3 + 190/5 - I wasn’t sure what my work weight should be, so I figured I should test it before committing to it. Settled on 190.
190/18 - I probably should have gone with 195 or 200 lbs.

Standing Dumbbell Lateral Raise - weights listed are per hand
10 lbs/15 reps
drop set: 20’s/10 + 15’s/8 + 10’s/10

Smith Machine Shrug
90 lbs + bar/12 reps
180+/10 - added Versa Gripps here
270+/12

Hammer Strength Ab Machine - crunch from top and bottom simultaneously
30 lbs/5 reps + 50/5 + 70/5 + 50/5, 5, 5 + 30/10

I don’t know what to call this set. I took 5 breaths each time I changed the pin, and between the clusters of 5 with 50 lbs.

10 days to go…

EricK
Marine Mammal

Post by EricK » Thu May 02, 2024 1:26 pm

Looking great, man. You've already accomplished an amazing transformation that takes dedication, diligence and discipline. Regardless of how the competition goes you've earned success in my book.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri May 03, 2024 6:52 am

That serratus!