Lat Prayers

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

mbasic

Lat Prayers

Post by mbasic » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:41 am

I was surprised by these. 15-20 years ago these were a made-up exercise by gym-tards, (the exercise didn't even have a name) and when I saw people do them I thought they were fucken gay, and/or didn't know what they were doing.

There were some machines that did a similar movement .... I thought those worked well. But those machines were/are rare to see in a gym

More recently, (say last 4-9 years) they seem to have gotten a name, and are more it fashion.

You get a hella lat pump, and probably that one head of the triceps too.
If I do higher reps, 10-15 tpyically, but lets say 15 ... its a lot of lactate, burning, and breathing, weird, I almost get sick to my stomach.

I highly recommend you try them .... as a finisher thing of course, but even as your 2nd lat/row movement.
Thought I share ...

DCR

Re: Lat Prayers

Post by DCR » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:38 pm

I always knew these as straight arm pressdowns / pushdowns. Never did them because always seemed like a fourth or fifth choice but had no idea there was anything controversial about them.

That said, “regular” pushdowns have fallen out of ny rotation for no good reason, but I do them letting the bar / my arms come well up, to get that one tricep head as you say. Doing pushdowns (or conversely, curls) with “elbows attached to your sides” misses out on a lot of good stuff IMO.

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:59 pm

I like doing them single arm since I can play around with the angle more and get a stretch in the Lat easier. Also run into less balance issues, they start to feel kinda shitty when the weight gets a bit higher and you’re being pulled forward.

Also worth trying them with a loop around the wrist rather than holding on to a handle. I feel it less in the long head of the triceps and more focused on the lats that way.

Definitely prefer them to pullovers for lat isolation. I barely feel pullovers in my lats at all and my shoulders don’t enjoy them either.

AlanMackey

Post by AlanMackey » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:24 am

I always called those "cable pullovers".

acorn93

Post by acorn93 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:35 am

That muscle mommy with the barn door back seemed to be enjoying them quite a lot.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:12 am

acorn93 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:35 am That muscle mommy with the barn door back seemed to be enjoying them quite a lot.
But which one? There are so many! Which one in particular?

unlimitedgains

Post by unlimitedgains » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:08 am

I did something like this, but unilateral for a while, it was fine, but I found it pretty awkward to get a good stretch. Given all the lengthened partial hype I'd think pullovers with a dumbbell or bar would be a better choice.

If you go to youtube you can find throwers doing them super heavy.

dw

Post by dw » Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:41 pm

Never tried them but they seem perfectly reasonable to me. Isn't it the same as a dumbbell pullover?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:02 pm

I tried these a couple years ago- the standing cable version.

I didn’t like the “force curve” and found I had to change my torso angle during the movement to accommodate.

Dumbbell pullovers seem way better.