Reppin 125lb Adjustable Dumbbells

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Clearwater47

Reppin 125lb Adjustable Dumbbells

Post by Clearwater47 » Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:42 am

Awesome to see Rep working with another smaller company/creator. In this case they've worked with PÉPIN to make an adjustable DB that's extremely impressive. PÉPIN designed and sells a 120lb adjustable DB that's amazing in its own right. The major downside of it is the cost, at well over $2k for a pair.

It looks like there have been some small tweaks to this version, but it's a very similar DB. The main difference is cost, with the new REP x PÉPIN FAST Series Adjustable Dumbbell (I like "Reppin" better ;) ) going for $1,300.

I already have 2 sets of Adjustable DB's, but odds are I'll end up selling one of them and picking these up at some point.

More info: https://repfitness.com/products/rep-x-p ... 8954964126

hector

Re: Reppin 125lb Adjustable Dumbbells

Post by hector » Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:33 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 5:42 am Awesome to see Rep working with another smaller company/creator. In this case they've worked with PÉPIN to make an adjustable DB that's extremely impressive. PÉPIN designed and sells a 120lb adjustable DB that's amazing in its own right. The major downside of it is the cost, at well over $2k for a pair.

It looks like there have been some small tweaks to this version, but it's a very similar DB. The main difference is cost, with the new REP x PÉPIN FAST Series Adjustable Dumbbell (I like "Reppin" better ;) ) going for $1,300.

I already have 2 sets of Adjustable DB's, but odds are I'll end up selling one of them and picking these up at some point.

More info: https://repfitness.com/products/rep-x-p ... 8954964126

I think Rep might be using cerakote coating where Pepin used nickel. And I know the Rep are way cheaper. I have no issue with either of those.
Are there any potentially negative differences?

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:40 pm

hector wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:33 pmI think Rep might be using cerakote coating where Pepin used nickel. And I know the Rep are way cheaper. I have no issue with either of those.
Are there any potentially negative differences?
I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think I heard that they're using cerakote only on the adjustment bar, and that they're using aluminum instead of steel for part of the handle (which also means the handle weight is lighter, which is obviously a positive). There should be no negatives to either of these changes from a usability/performance standpoint. I believe the 'adder' weights used to adjust in increments of 2.5lbs are also different, but I've not seen any information about what these actually look like or how they work on this version.

I'm sure the main reasons for the difference in cost is that these are made in China and that they're being mass produced instead of individually constructed.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:43 pm

Cool to see more options available.

For my needs, I see no advantage to these over my Ironmasters (time needed to change weights doesn't bother me), which can go to 135 and come with a stand (albeit a shitty one) for slightly less money, and have survived a few unplanned bench height drops at 100+ without flinching. That said, if I didn't already have adjustable dumbbells these would be under consideration. I definitely like the look of them over Powerblocks.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:50 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:43 pm Cool to see more options available.

For my needs, I see no advantage to these over my Ironmasters (time needed to change weights doesn't bother me), which can go to 135 and come with a stand (albeit a shitty one) for slightly less money, and have survived a few unplanned bench height drops at 100+ without flinching. That said, if I didn't already have adjustable dumbbells these would be under consideration. I definitely like the look of them over Powerblocks.
Ironmasters are awesome.

The main reason I'd want these are for the extra weight. I have Snode's that go up to 80 and Powerblocks that go up to 90. Adjustables that go up to 125 (and even higher if I add some platemates or other magentic weights) would probably be all I'd ever need.

Buy yeah, for anyone that already has DB's that go up close to 120 this would probably not be the best use of their money.

hector

Post by hector » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:06 pm

Pre-ordered the 125lb set.
Hopefully the first run isn’t riddled with errors.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:18 pm

hector wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:06 pm Pre-ordered the 125lb set.
There was a time when I absolutely would NOT have purchased a V1 from REP, but that time has passed. They've still shown they can make improvements over time, but it's been a while since I can remember them releasing anything that had any real issues. Seems like they must have made their pre-testing process more robust over the years. I think this is one of the main reasons they've continued to grow steadily.

Congrats on the purchase! Now the long wait for delivery has begun...

hector

Post by hector » Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:40 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:18 pm
hector wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:06 pm Pre-ordered the 125lb set.
There was a time when I absolutely would NOT have purchased a V1 from REP, but that time has passed. They've still shown they can make improvements over time, but it's been a while since I can remember them releasing anything that had any real issues. Seems like they must have made their pre-testing process more robust over the years. I think this is one of the main reasons they've continued to grow steadily.

Congrats on the purchase! Now the long wait for delivery has begun...
I like that outlook! Thank you.