Strange press technique

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

asdf

Strange press technique

Post by asdf » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:18 pm

North Korean weightlifters doing a strange press variation. Anyone seen this before? What's the purpose?

Time-stamped. Starts at 8:44.

Hardartery

Re: Strange press technique

Post by Hardartery » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:38 pm

asdf wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:18 pm North Korean weightlifters doing a strange press variation. Anyone seen this before? What's the purpose?

Time-stamped. Starts at 8:44.

It removes the chest from the press entirely and provides significant anterior delt load. Not sure why an Oly team would do them specifically, but probably something I should be doing to improve my press transition.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:09 pm

Rip approves

asdf

Post by asdf » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:22 pm

I gave it a try. I had to use a very elbows-up rack position to control the weight. After a bit of practice (balance and timing), moderate weights flew up ridiculously fast and easy. With loads closer to my max strict press, the hips-back position was so unstable that I really couldn't get the technique to work.

Still not sure what the purpose is, especially for weightlifters. To train the press? Rapid hip extension? Anterior delts? (As Hardartery suggested, but which I didn't feel at all.) The lower back? (Which I did feel, but perhaps only because I snatched and squatted first.)

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:10 pm

asdf wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:22 pmRapid hip extension?
I think this ^

Ri Song-Gum's jerk is so clean...and hip-dominant

asdf

Post by asdf » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:02 am

Hanley wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:10 pm Ri Song-Gum's jerk is hip-dominant
What are you seeing that makes you say that? I've watched the video in slow-mo, even pausing and advancing frame by frame, and I don't see how her jerk is different from other top lifters.

Not challenging your claim. Trying to learn.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:54 pm

asdf wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:02 amNot challenging your claim. Trying to learn.
You probably should challenge my claim. I might be making it up.

I'll review some video to determine the strength of my own claim :)

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:02 pm

I was looking for less knee bend, or more hip hinge, or even greater anterior pelvic tilt, relative to other lifters. But I didn't see any.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:30 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:02 pm I was looking for less knee bend, or more hip hinge, or even greater anterior pelvic tilt, relative to other lifters. But I didn't see any.
Her shoulders/rhomboids/upper back start extended forward and never really contract during the lift. The torso angle is putting the lift by necessity through the hips and thighs, and arguably avoids much lower back involvement and the jerk in particular would be a power jerk if she didn't split. She is essentially power jerking it, she gets almost no drop from her split. Those hips could hurt a man.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:41 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:02 pm I was looking for less knee bend, or more hip hinge, or even greater anterior pelvic tilt, relative to other lifters. But I didn't see any.
What examples did you compare her jerk to? (just so we have a common reference).

asdf

Post by asdf » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:21 pm

Hanley wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:41 pm What examples did you compare her jerk to? (just so we have a common reference).
Kuo and Toma. But maybe they're hip-dominant jerkers as well.

Let's back up. Which portion of the lift were you referring to? For some reason, I assumed you were talking about the dip and the drive, but after thinking through @Hardartery's post, I wonder if you're talking about the catch (in the jerk).

Another idea: perhaps you could share an example of a lifter who isn't hip-dominant in the jerk. Hopefully, I would then be able to suss out the visual differences myself.

Or we could just drop it. It's no big deal and these sorts of things can be difficult to explain, especially via keyboard.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:22 pm

asdf wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:21 pm
Hanley wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:41 pm What examples did you compare her jerk to? (just so we have a common reference).
Kuo and Toma. But maybe they're hip-dominant jerkers as well.

Let's back up. Which portion of the lift were you referring to? For some reason,
Yeah, I'm talking about dip and drive. Okay, I'm comparing Kuo's jerk at about 6 seconds into this video:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=a ... Dt_NM,st:0

with Song-Gum's jerk @ 6:54 in this video

The differences are really subtle, but I think they *may* be real.

1. Song-Gum's dip seems shallower (but with about the same amount of hip flexion...so Kuo seems to be dipping deeper via knee flexion only).

2. coming out of the very lowest point in the dip, Song-Gum's hips seem to circle forward (make imaginary traces in space of Song-Gum's vs Kuo's Greater Trochanters as they rise from the nadir of the dip. Song-Gum loops up; Kuo seems very linear (this is where I think that weird press drill would transfer most to the jerk)

3. Finally...Song-Gum seems more "under" the bar as she drives it up (I could be fooled by the fact that she's staring up). It kinda looks like her terminal hip extension goes a couple of degrees beyond Kuo's

Last edited by Hanley on Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asdf

Post by asdf » Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:00 pm

Hanley wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:22 pm The differences are really subtle, but I think they *may* be real.
Thanks for taking the time to do all that!

I see everything you've described. I also now see that Ri (ever so slightly) leads with her hips out of the dip. Meaning, her hip extension begins a split-second before her knee extension. So yeah, I can imagine that the hip-extension press might pattern that same movement coming out of a dip. (In contrast, when Kuo hits the bottom of her dip, she actually loses a bit of lumbar arch and doesn't even reclaim it before just powering up with her legs.)

P.S. Both of your links above go to the same lift of Kuo's. But judging from the time you referenced for Ri, I assume you were looking at the video of her WR lift, which you posted earlier.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:03 pm

asdf wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:00 pmI also now see that Ri (ever so slightly) leads with her hips out of the dip. Meaning, her hip extension begins a split-second before her knee extension. So yeah, I can imagine that the hip-extension press might pattern that same movement coming out of a dip. (In contrast, when Kuo hits the bottom of her dip, she actually loses a bit of lumbar arch and doesn't even reclaim it before just powering up with her legs.)
Yeah, that's definitely what I'm seeing.

asdf wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:00 pm P.S. Both of your links above go to the same lift of Kuo's. But judging from the time you referenced for Ri, I assume you were looking at the video of her WR lift, which you posted earlier.
Whoops. Fixed. I was actually referencing her second C&J attempt (only because the angle of the video was similar to the Kuo vid)

###

Anyway...I want to try this weird press variation now.