Bolder's Training Log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

cgeorg

Re: Bolder's Training Log

Post by cgeorg » Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:38 am

Are you guys using the loop around the wrist with a bunch of fabric that then needs to be wrapped around? Might be worth trying a dowel or figure 8, I think they get set a lot quicker. I know @Hardartery gave @MarkKO some tips on this for his strongman and it really helped.

One other thing that might help is rather than bending over to set the straps, squat down low. It opens up the torso a bit more, you can get a big breath, straighten out the legs, set things and go. This probably works better the leaner you are.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:40 pm

Setting straps for DL takes a little getting used to, especially if you don't normally spend much time gripping the bar before pulling.

Figure 8s are quicker to set, but short figure 6s are just about as fast I find, and let you grip much more normally. Figure 8s are awesome but IMO you need to be comfortable just hanging on with your fingertips to get the most out of 8s.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:28 am

Clearwater47 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:06 pm My experience with gripping and ripping is about the same as yours. When you get it right it's great, but there have been many times where I've gripped unevenly and ended up slightly tweaking something because of the imbalance. I find generally that it's too inconsistent for my liking. If I could I'd do hook grip, but I have tiny hands and fingers and cannot get that to work for me. So I'm left with using straps as the other option. I tried not to rely on this for a long time because I liked the grip building aspect of the lift. But eventually decided that safety and consistency were more important and have been deadlifting almost exclusively with straps for quite a while now. I have no regrets.

It took me a good while to figure out how to setup in a way that allowed me to get satisfactorily tight, but I was eventually able to find a process that works. I get my feet positioned first and twist them into the floor to activate all of the right muscles. While keeping them tight I bend over and get my straps and grip set while keeping the lower body taut (this is done stiff legged). While still stiff legged I get my brace as best I can. Then I "pull myself down", activating the upper body muscles in the process. As soon as my hips get down to the 'correct' height I pull out the slack and then go like crazy. It's a different approach than the grip and rip, where I typically get everything tight, get my brace, and then go as fast as I can. As already mentioned, the brace is not quite as good because my ribcage is restricted a little bit. But the setup is very consistent and improved positioning seems to more than make up for whatever's lost in the bracing.

I totally get it if you want to continue with mixed grip - nothing wrong with that at all, especially if you can figure out how to get your grip in the right spot consistently. Just wanted to relay that lifting with straps, while different, can also work really well.
I can relate to some degree. I also have small hands, which isn't conducive to grip strength. I may consider continuing to pull with straps, but then do double overhand holds.

Also, thanks for outlining the cues that you would use in the deadlift. It certainly looks solid. I'll keep those cues in mind.

cgeorg wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:38 am Are you guys using the loop around the wrist with a bunch of fabric that then needs to be wrapped around? Might be worth trying a dowel or figure 8, I think they get set a lot quicker. I know @Hardartery gave @MarkKO some tips on this for his strongman and it really helped.

One other thing that might help is rather than bending over to set the straps, squat down low. It opens up the torso a bit more, you can get a big breath, straighten out the legs, set things and go. This probably works better the leaner you are.
I use figure 8 straps, but seems like the dodgy kind.

Also, thanks for the suggestion, it seems like a set up that some strongman use? They also sometimes roll the bar to themselves, e.g. Eddie Hall, Thor, ..., etc.

MarkKO wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:40 pm Setting straps for DL takes a little getting used to, especially if you don't normally spend much time gripping the bar before pulling.

Figure 8s are quicker to set, but short figure 6s are just about as fast I find, and let you grip much more normally. Figure 8s are awesome but IMO you need to be comfortable just hanging on with your fingertips to get the most out of 8s.
So seems like theres more to using the figure 8 straps? Perhaps, I should look more into it. I try to pull the strap with the barbell to secure myself to the barbell (weird explanation). So I guess its better to let it hang from you. Thanks for your input, buds.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:34 am

15/3/24

Did a mini squat deload, worked out later at night (felt better with more food in my system). The session was quite long with the bench press portion (but felt good overall).

Squats, high-bar and beltess:

140kg/308lb x 1 x 1
112.5kg/248lb x 3 x 3

Bench Press, touch and go:

66kg/145lb x 1 x 8
77.5kg/170lb x 2 x 6
92.5kg/204lb x 2 x 5
100kg/220lb x 2 x 4
105kg/231lb x 3 x 3

Then some arms and posterior chain work.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:43 pm

Bolder wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:28 am
Clearwater47 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:06 pm My experience with gripping and ripping is about the same as yours. When you get it right it's great, but there have been many times where I've gripped unevenly and ended up slightly tweaking something because of the imbalance. I find generally that it's too inconsistent for my liking. If I could I'd do hook grip, but I have tiny hands and fingers and cannot get that to work for me. So I'm left with using straps as the other option. I tried not to rely on this for a long time because I liked the grip building aspect of the lift. But eventually decided that safety and consistency were more important and have been deadlifting almost exclusively with straps for quite a while now. I have no regrets.

It took me a good while to figure out how to setup in a way that allowed me to get satisfactorily tight, but I was eventually able to find a process that works. I get my feet positioned first and twist them into the floor to activate all of the right muscles. While keeping them tight I bend over and get my straps and grip set while keeping the lower body taut (this is done stiff legged). While still stiff legged I get my brace as best I can. Then I "pull myself down", activating the upper body muscles in the process. As soon as my hips get down to the 'correct' height I pull out the slack and then go like crazy. It's a different approach than the grip and rip, where I typically get everything tight, get my brace, and then go as fast as I can. As already mentioned, the brace is not quite as good because my ribcage is restricted a little bit. But the setup is very consistent and improved positioning seems to more than make up for whatever's lost in the bracing.

I totally get it if you want to continue with mixed grip - nothing wrong with that at all, especially if you can figure out how to get your grip in the right spot consistently. Just wanted to relay that lifting with straps, while different, can also work really well.
I can relate to some degree. I also have small hands, which isn't conducive to grip strength. I may consider continuing to pull with straps, but then do double overhand holds.

Also, thanks for outlining the cues that you would use in the deadlift. It certainly looks solid. I'll keep those cues in mind.

cgeorg wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:38 am Are you guys using the loop around the wrist with a bunch of fabric that then needs to be wrapped around? Might be worth trying a dowel or figure 8, I think they get set a lot quicker. I know @Hardartery gave @MarkKO some tips on this for his strongman and it really helped.

I use figure 8 straps, but seems like the dodgy kind.

Also, thanks for the suggestion, it seems like a set up that some strongman use? They also sometimes roll the bar to themselves, e.g. Eddie Hall, Thor, ..., etc.

MarkKO wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:40 pm Setting straps for DL takes a little getting used to, especially if you don't normally spend much time gripping the bar before pulling.

So seems like theres more to using the figure 8 straps? Perhaps, I should look more into it. I try to pull the strap with the barbell to secure myself to the barbell (weird explanation). So I guess its better to let it hang from you. Thanks for your input, buds.
Yes, definitely. Figure 8s aren't made to be rolled or pulled around the bar like 6s. Really they should sit outside your hand so they can pull tight and hold the weight.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Sun Mar 17, 2024 4:56 am

Thanks MarkKO. I also saw some YouTube vids on using the figure 8 strap. So I'm guessing it's like this?

Anyway, just a short bench session (but lifted at my home gym; I suspect that my weights are heavier at home than at the gym), but anyway:

17/03/24

103.5kg/227.5lb (this weight is most likely heavier; I'd say 110kg/242lb) x 1 x 6

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:24 pm

Not able to lift for a couple of days or perhaps an entire week, I have a really bad flu/cold (and my body and even my muscles are sore. It also aches each time I sneeze? Lol). Which kind of sucks because I have good momentum going on with my squats and I need to finish Greg Nuckol's bench press program as well...

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:25 am

21/3/24

I felt better (just fewer coughs). I decided to go to the gym. I was planning to squat, but all of the squat racks were taken, and then I decided to just bench because I didn't want to waste too much time. The bench press portion was too long; I was exhausted from the first phase of the bench workout portion, and I had trouble finishing off the later sets (so I had to break them up into cluster sets and had to get 24 reps in total, lol. Doing sets of 8 at 75% is insane... also, especially since I bench with such a long range of motion). As I finished that, I managed to find a squat rack, and then I began squatting. I felt pretty tired (I was debating if I should push myself; my knees felt a little off, and I don't know if I would've gotten 175 kg/385 lb on squats). Perhaps I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Anyway, as for today's session:

113.5kg/250lb x 4 x 3
100kg/220lb x 1 x 5
100kg/220lb x 1 x 3
100kg/220lb x 1 x 3
100kg/220lb x 1 x 4
100kg/220lb x 3 x 3 (these sets and the sets before were grinders. I don't think tolerated well with too many bench sets...).

140kg/308lb x 1 x 1 (moved fast, but decided to cap it off from here)

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:32 am

Glad you're feeling a bit better. No reason to push it on the first day back after time away from lifting. It will only get better from here on out, and everything will come back to where it was at soon enough.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:38 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:32 am Glad you're feeling a bit better. No reason to push it on the first day back after time away from lifting. It will only get better from here on out, and everything will come back to where it was at soon enough.
Indeed and thank you.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:48 pm

22/3/24

Bad session, but whatever (well, I was recovering from the sickness, and it definitely ruined the momentum I had). I realize the deadlifts are better for me if I keep the bar a little away from me and the straps outside of my hands. I have to give my thanks to MarkkO and the video above.

140kg/308lb x 1 x 1
175kg/385lb x 1 x 0 (failed and had a bit of knee pain)

Deadlifts, conventional and beltess w/ straps:

140kg/308lb x 1 x 1 (Tried the new technique suggested by MarkkO and the vid posted above and it flew up)
186kg/410lb x 1 x 0 (failed)
160kg/353lb x 1 x 1 (smooth)
170kg/374lb x 1 x 1 (smooth)
180kg/397lb x 1 x 0 (failed wouldn't budge off the floor).

Then some OHP and tried doing chins.

I don't know whether to change programming, but I'll reduce the weights, build the momentum, and try to regain the momentum. I'll try to start at around 150kg/330lb for squats and 175kg/385lb for deadlifts, but I gotta be more consistent with exercises like the leg press (the belt squat is too awkward) and GHR, or back extensions, to build the muscles associated with the squats and deadlift (to try to prime for long-term strength gains since I'm doing little volume for squats and deadlifts currently). However, I'm sort of concerned about where the Nuckols bench press program would take me (I'm rather doubtful if I can get 135kg/297lb on the bench press soon because my performance from the last session wasn't good). If it doesn't work, then I'll just do heavy singles with heavy sets of threes to fives for bench (and try to force linear progression). If it all doesn't work, then I'll just return to the Nuckols high-frequency program (and perhaps just train every other day instead of five days in a row), just do AMRAPs, and see where it takes me lol (since I can't access any good programs for free anyway).

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:35 am

For what it's worth, when I've been in a similar circumstance in the past I've had good success with allowing a 1-2 week re-acclimation period and then continuing my previous programming where I left off. I've never had it happen during a specialized programming phase though, so not sure how that would pan out.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:22 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:35 am For what it's worth, when I've been in a similar circumstance in the past I've had good success with allowing a 1-2 week re-acclimation period and then continuing my previous programming where I left off. I've never had it happen during a specialized programming phase though, so not sure how that would pan out.
You've read my mind exactly; that's what I was planning to do, lol (may start my squats at 155kg/341lb instead). But then again, it's interesting how strength wildly fluctuates, not only week-to-week but even day-to-day or hours within a day.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:37 pm

23/3/24

As for today's session.

I decided not to bring my squat shoes because I was just going to bench today. Anyway, wearing my running shoes made me realize how slippery the gym floor was. I was doing bench presses on a wooden floor and had to take my shoes (also socks) to make my bare feet grip the ground (and it did). But still, squat shoes feel better. Also, as the sets went on my right elbow and started hurting (I need to keep up my wrist curls and not go to hard on the chins because that movement seems to also aggravate my elbows).

Also, when I was setting up my bench press the guy saw me left to get some paper towels and tried to taking my bench(?). I am open to others working in and he said "I didn't saw your bag.." like okay, lol. Anyway, I can't wait to get my own home gym someday (that's if I ever end up buying a house, lol). I do have a home gym with squat stands, barbell, and weights (but it's not enough and I need a squat power rack with safeties and a deadlift platform in case I bail. Also, some cable machine or pulley system).

67.5kg/149lb x 1 x 8
80kg/176lb x 2 x 6
93.5kg/206lb x 2 x 5
107.5kg/237lb x 2 x 3
120kg/264lb x 2 x 1 (first was a grinder, but the second was more smooth)

Then some wrist curls, 45-degree back extensions (feels better than the GHR), and leg press with calve raises.

I don't know if I'll get 135kg/297lb next week on bench press since it would be a test day next Friday (may scale it back to 132.5kg/292lb and see what I can get).

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:05 am

Glad the straps tip worked out! They make such a difference if you can set them and then not worry about grip.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:24 pm

Thanks Mark.

24/3/24

103.5kg/227.5lb x 1 x 8

Then some barbell curls, lying tricep extension, wrist curls, and assisted chin-ups (may need to switch the grip)

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:55 pm

25/3/24

Back to squatting (felt a little grindy glad I started with 150kg/330lb instead of 155kg/341lb lol). The knees also felt good. Also, I caught myself having my arms under the bar, which contributed to the elbow pain, and I have to keep my arms back behind the bar. The weight should also feel weightless in my hands. The bench press portion was fine - nothing challenging (conciouslessly with my bad elbows, I always kept lowering the bar pretty slowly, and my elbows were hurting. Then, in between sets, I was doing various wrist curls, steches, and isometrics (which helped me bench more pain freely). I think I may start doing hammer curls before I bench press.

However, I suspect the elbow pain also came from the increased bench volume and benching more frequently heavily. If I keep getting aches, pains, and injuries, then I may switch to a more bodybuilding-type routine (however the thing is I never like doing four to even three exercises for the same bodypart...). I don't think my body is a fan of powerlifting/strength minimalism. Doing the bodybuilding accessories (therapeutic) just seems to keep the joints/tendons healthier, and if it's really bad, then in the future I may have to cut down on my squat/benching frequency too.

150kg/330lb x 1 x 1
135kg/297lb x 2 x 2 (knees caved a lot)

110kg/242lb x 3 x 2
100kg/220lb x 3 x 5

Then did some shoulder raises, which felt good on my elbows. May start doing these more than the overhead presses.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:27 am

27/3/24

Deadlifts are going okay. Elbows feeling better (was doing wrist and hammer curls between my bench press sets, felt good).

Deadlifts, conventional and beltess w/ straps:

175kg/385lb x 1 x 1 (Felt pretty easy)
191kg/420lb x 1 x 0 (Lifted it off the ground but couldn't finish it off)
167.5kg/369lb x 4 x 1

Lots of wrist/hammer curls between sets
68.5kg/151lb x 1 x 5
82.5kg/182lb x 1 x 4
95kg/209lb x 1 x 3
102.5kg/226lb x 2 x 3 (Easy)
110kg/242lb x 2 x 2 (Flew up easily. Gonna try to see where my 1RM this coming Friday)

Step-Ups:
BW x 2 x F (These felt good and much better than the leg press and belt squats. Although you can cheat on this movement easily, it felt good on my knees).
BW x 2 x F (Did some calf raises between)

45-Degree Back Extensions:
BW x 2 x F (I tried to purposely curl my leg up to get in more hamstring work, then I focused on simply doing back raises to work the low back, and they felt good. These definitely felt much better than the GHR/GHD).

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:58 pm

29/3/24

Elbows feeling healthy, only a bit of pain came up when I squatted (however my right knee on the upper left side of my shin feels pretty off, some pain, but not that painful. It probably came from when I was kneeling on the floor this morning. I think I need to back-off the frequency a bit for my squats (because it gives elbow and knee pain, not as worse as before)... As for bench press, today was the day to test the 1RM... all the warm-up weights flew up, especially 120kg/264lb. Then there was a fire at the back of my gym and everyone had to evacuate. It was for like ~15 minutes. I didn't felt the need to warm-up, so I jumped straight to 132.5kg/291lb, and I asked a guy to spot me (I think I was going to get the weight, I told him not to touch, but then he touched. I don't know if I had gotten it or not... then I tried 133.5kg/294lb bench it went up a bit and I had a different guy to spot me (he was much better).

120kg/264lb x 1 x 1 (easy)
132.5kg/291lb x 1 x ????
133.5kg/294lb x 1 x 0 (failed)
111kg/244lb x 1 x 6 (Did an AMRAP, this felt good and this puts my e1RM around ~ 131kg/290lb. I was meant to do 116kg/255lb, but I misloaded it. I think it's for the better).

155kg/341lb x 1 x 1 (flew up easily, but some weird knee pain)
125kg/275lb x 3 x 3 (easy, but knee pain)

Then some elbow rehab and lat work.

Well, that concludes the Greg Nuckol 3x bench IntMed program, and I don't think that program is for me (gonna switch to a different, perhaps a more voluminous lower frequency program (for bench), and focus more on hypertrophy work. Whenever I push more frequency and intensity, my joints feel iffy). Still gonna continue with the Damien Pezzuti lite-bulgarian protocol for my squats and deadlifts at a lower frequency, but include more accessories . Gonna squat and deadlift every 6 days or almost a week once a week instead of having to squat every 2 or 3 days (gotta give my patella tendons a rest...). So it's going to look like this (may as well start this coming Sunday):

Sunday (Push):

Bench Press (Greg Nuckols 1x Beg Bench) which averages to 6 sets of bench per session
Chest Press Machine 2x5-8 (likely gonna go with this, maybe try to max out the chest press machine for a couple of reps as a goal. Gotta increase the size of my pecs for more future bench gains. I would like to OHP, but that will come someday).
Various Shoulder Raises (doing front, side, and rear raises) 2x12+ (to failure) or maybe just do OHP here for 2x5-8 (to failure)
Tricep Extensions 3x12+ (both lying and overhead tricep extensions back-to-back to toast the triceps, all to failure)

Monday: Off

Tuesday (Pull):

Deadlifts 1x1, 4x1 (90% back-off of the top single and take-off the weights, and do a double overhande deadlift to hold the weights to train the grip)
Barbell Row 2x5-8 (two sets to failure, may throw RDLs and shrugs in the mix as well)
Assisted Pull-Ups 2x5-8 (two sets to failure)
Dumbbell and Hammer curls 3x4-8 (three sets to failure, then wrist curl them and twist to keep strengthening the forearms)

Wednesday: Off

Thursday (Legs):

Squats 1x1, 2x2/3x3 (interchange between those sets and reps, also warm-up with good-mornings to train the hamstrings)
Leg Press 2x5-8 (two sets to failure)
Leg extensions 2x5-8 (two sets to failure, but then do a 45 second isometric at the end of the set of the last rep).
Calf raises 2x5-8 (two sets to failure, slow and control)

Friday: Off

Saturday:

Repeat the cycle.

So basically a 4-day cycle within a week, like push, off, pull, off, legs, off, repeat (with push), off, pull, off, legs, off, and repeat. So everything gets trained within 6 days instead of 7 days.

So basically, every other day, but with less crossover to give my joints and tendons a break. I will give this a go for 4 to 8 weeks (but let's see how I go for 4 weeks first, then re-assess from there if I should change, and I'll also consider taking creatine as well). I didn't take creatine for a long time because I was concerned with hair loss, but I guess stuff it (I already lost a lot of hair already anyway lol. A lot of the hair loss comes from not taking creatine funnily over that long period. Last time I took creatine was years and years ago).
Last edited by Bolder on Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:54 am, edited 15 times in total.

Bolder

Post by Bolder » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:06 am

Gonna be running this for bench press (I tend to thrive off better from AMRAPs, I think, starting with my max around 290lbs). This is Greg Nuckol's once a week beginner bench program (may progress to intermediate and advanced in the near distant if I have success with this style of programming). Gonna be doing lots of pump/hypertrophy/bodybuilding accessory work in the meantime (I usually feel healthier and less hurt doing them). I just usually find myself doing more accessory work to rehab injuries anyway lol. If I don't end up increasing the weights on the bench press. Perhaps, I'll yolo with Smolov Jr, Deathbench, or Kizen's bench, do my own crazy programming of doing a heavy single and 3 heavy sets of 3 reps to 5 reps.