What’s on Netflix?!?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Philbert

Re: What’s on Netflix?!?

Post by Philbert » Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:23 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:44 pm Does anyone get the love for Reacher?

The actor portrays him as an emotional mute that at times seems autistic. It is completely unbelievable that anyone in the show would react to him the way they do. Just as it is unbelievable he and his gang are going around New York City committing violent crimes and have zero police interaction. It is like a 13-year old boy dreamed up the 'ideal' man and unleashed him in world where there he has zero consequences for his actions. I don't man...just don't understand the love.
The bolded is the theme of the novels.
Part of it is reactionary to the two movies with Tom Cruise as Reacher. Cruise is a better actor, but is physically nonsensical in the role. Ritchson is approximately canonical size, so people who read the books are more willing to overlook the acting.

DCR

Post by DCR » Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:15 pm

Philbert wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:23 pm

The actor portrays him as an emotional mute that at times seems autistic. It is completely unbelievable that anyone in the show would react to him the way they do. Just as it is unbelievable he and his gang are going around New York City committing violent crimes and have zero police interaction. It is like a 13-year old boy dreamed up the 'ideal' man and unleashed him in world where there he has zero consequences for his actions. I don't man...just don't understand the love.
Part of it is reactionary to the two movies with Tom Cruise as Reacher. Cruise is a better actor, but is physically nonsensical in the role. Ritchson is approximately canonical size, so people who read the books are more willing to overlook the acting.
Generally, the novels are far more textured than that. (Concededly, they became less so as Lee Child continued on. The Andrew Child books are unspeakable.)

Specifically, I’m currently re-reading one in which there are repeated negative consequences for Reacher’s actions. Not all of the negative consequences that would befall you and me, of course, but it’s an action novel.

hector

Post by hector » Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:12 pm

DCR wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:15 pm
Generally, the novels are far more textured than that. (Concededly, they became less so as Lee Child continued on. The Andrew Child books are unspeakable.)

Specifically, I’m currently re-reading one in which there are repeated negative consequences for Reacher’s actions. Not all of the negative consequences that would befall you and me, of course, but it’s an action novel.
I started listening to Howlin’ Wolf because of Reacher.
I could never get into Peach pie.

Amazing how he was always so jacked when he lived primarily off of coffee and desserts at diners. Also amazing that, with his clothing habits, his body odor wasn’t brought up more often.

(I’m only referencing the books. Can’t speak so much to the show.)

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:21 am

It's because he's just born awesome, like all Mary Sues.

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:29 am

hector wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:12 pm

I started listening to Howlin’ Wolf because of Reacher.
I could never get into Peach pie.

Amazing how he was always so jacked when he lived primarily off of coffee and desserts at diners. Also amazing that, with his clothing habits, his body odor wasn’t brought up more often.

(I’m only referencing the books. Can’t speak so much to the show.)
I have a good friend from college - who also was an Army guy (actually still is) - who is this. 6’5, a 230 lb mesomorph who doesn’t need to do shit (but becomes even more of a monster when he does). Lifting with him always was a good reminder of my place in the genetic hierarchy.

Mmmmm. Pie.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:03 am

I thought the first season was ok. Certainly would have watched S2 based on that.

But reddit started showing me posts from r/reacher, most of which are complaints about S2. It sounds awful.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:36 pm

Philbert wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:23 pm

As per usual, film adaptations lose nuance and character development.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:36 am

Scavengers Reign on HBO Max is awesome if you're into trippy vibey animated sci fi drama.

houzi

Post by houzi » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:40 pm

broseph wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:36 am Scavengers Reign on HBO Max is awesome if you're into trippy vibey animated sci fi drama.
I watched this recently. I absolutely loved it. Very cool concept of the planet and all the odd creatures that inhabit it.
Its based off of a Youtube short called "Scavengers, that I guess was picked up and made into a full fledged series. I would hope they do something along those lines with some of the Love, Death and Robots episodes that I liked, where they introduced a story/world but id like to see more of it.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:20 am

houzi wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:40 pm
broseph wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:36 am Scavengers Reign on HBO Max is awesome if you're into trippy vibey animated sci fi drama.
I watched this recently. I absolutely loved it. Very cool concept of the planet and all the odd creatures that inhabit it.
Its based off of a Youtube short called "Scavengers, that I guess was picked up and made into a full fledged series. I would hope they do something along those lines with some of the Love, Death and Robots episodes that I liked, where they introduced a story/world but id like to see more of it.
One of the creators of the show was among the few people I follow on social media. It's quite different than his usual stuff, but I had one of those silly "I was a fan before it was cool" moments.

I've often wished for a full series based on a Love, Death, and Robots short. Unfortunately, I don't think I follow any of those people on social media.

ETA: Another HBO Max plug- the new season of True Detective has Jodi Foster and is actually comparable to the first season (the rest were kinda lame).

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:33 pm

Dune Part 2 March 1st. Got my IMAX tickets. Who else is excited?

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:44 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:33 pm Dune Part 2 March 1st. Got my IMAX tickets. Who else is excited?
Same. Going with my brother in law who normally lives 3 hours away but will be in town for business. Very excited.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:06 pm

aurelius wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:33 pm Dune Part 2 March 1st. Got my IMAX tickets. Who else is excited?
Checked calendar, no kids that weekend… yes we’ll be there, probably Saturday. Will use Friday to rewatch the first film, which we loved.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:35 am

hector

Post by hector » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:56 am

Shogun is great so far. Been true to the book, albeit condensed, from what I remember.
Code 8 part 2 on Netflix is good if you like garbage movies and have seen part1. I can’t figure out if key scenes are ripped off from, or an homage to, the Robocop movies.

Tommy1507

Post by Tommy1507 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:00 am

Just finished Gomorrah on Netflix. Show about italian gangster in Naples, Italia. Very rough, doesn't hold anything back, nice soundtrack and i would say not hollywood-like.
Would recommend to watch it in Italian with subtitels.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:00 pm

Just finished Fallout on Prime.

They captured the Fallout universe really well. Props, costumes, lore, moral dilemmas... all spot on. First episode was super engaging just due to those things. Next few felt kind of boring, but things picked up by the end and it felt even more Fallouty than before.

When Barb said
SpoilerShow
"War. Well [insanely long pause]. War never changes"
I came.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:38 am

broseph wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:00 pm Just finished Fallout on Prime.

They captured the Fallout universe really well. Props, costumes, lore, moral dilemmas... all spot on. First episode was super engaging just due to those things. Next few felt kind of boring, but things picked up by the end and it felt even more Fallouty than before.

When Barb said
SpoilerShow
I came.
I know it wasn't Ron Perlman, but I heard Ron Perlman when I saw it. :P

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:55 am

lheugh wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:38 am

When Barb said
SpoilerShow
I came.
If they had managed to get a cameo of Perlman for the sole purpose of saying that line, I'd have had a seizure.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:09 am

broseph wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:55 am
lheugh wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:38 am

When Barb said
SpoilerShow
I came.
If they had managed to get a cameo of Perlman for the sole purpose of saying that line, I'd have had a seizure.
If I could fathom one quibble with the adaptation, it would be this heinous omission.