Oh the places you'll bro! (Tales of Gym Glory)

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

Re: Oh the places you'll bro! (Tales of Gym Glory)

Post by mbasic » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:03 pm

Red Sonja/Bridgette Nielsen was just a B-list-fashion-model converted to an accessory character actress.

I don't think she was 'jacked' in any way whatsoever.

Just that tall-gangly-model-arch-type.

fucken eww

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:06 pm

mbasic wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:03 pm Red Sonja/Bridgette Nielsen was just a B-list-fashion-model converted to an accessory character actress.

I don't think she was 'jacked' in any way whatsoever.

Just that tall-gangly-model-arch-type.

fucken eww
It has been a long time since I saw that movie, a REALLY long time. I couldn't even remember who the actress was.

platypus
mammal?

Post by platypus » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:01 am

Actually witnessed this on Tuesday: a personal trainer put a resistance band around his and his trainee's waists. He stood behind the trainee, the band stretched out between them. The trainee performed a standing broad jump against the band's resistance, and the trainer stepped forward to allow him to get some distance. They repeated this for many reps.
This was followed by half squats with 225lbs.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:53 am

platypus wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:01 am Actually witnessed this on Tuesday: a personal trainer put a resistance band around his and his trainee's waists. He stood behind the trainee, the band stretched out between them. The trainee performed a standing broad jump against the band's resistance, and the trainer stepped forward to allow him to get some distance. They repeated this for many reps.
This was followed by half squats with 225lbs.
Nothing really wrong with banded jumps per se ..... for a power/speed/field athlete.
BUT, with half squats of only 225, sounds like he should just be doing regular ol' squats, and regular ol' broadjumps.
(unless the kid was 130# bw).

I often see them done (banded jumps) kinda hokey though; if it were stretched out (taught at least) like you said, before jumping, then fine.

What I see a lot of is the band is loose at the start:
- either completely loose when they start...
- or barely taught, but say in the case of a broad jump or standing vert jump when the athlete squats down to get ready to jump it goes loose at that point.....
A lot of "body momentum" had already happened, and NOT against the band resistance, and stretching-of-the-bands is kinda after the fact...... 90% of the band stretch even being in the air when the feet aren't even on the ground.

I'm sure the trainer doesn't understand the nuance of it, but I've seen banded jumps (or banded sprint starts) used in the context of leaning into the start to get the correct launch angles of a sprint. The bands help for that, so its not so much about pushing back and down against 'extra' resistance, it can be, but the set-up ALSO allows for the athlete to really lean into it, and project out at lower angle.

All this would/should normally occur training outside, not a weight room/gym.

As far as pairing those two together, that's a thing (if done correctly): Post Activation Potentiation. Normally you'd do a traditional 'slow' barbell movement at 80%-85% for 2-3 or something ....move it forcefully and fast, but not get 'tired'. Wait 2 minutes or so for any minute amount fatigue to dissipate, and then do a 'fast movement' for 3-5 reps. Squats and then box jumps. Deadlifts and the broadjumps. Lunges and then one-legged bounds for distance. You rarely see it executed correctly in a globo gym, as its quite boring, time consuming, and shouldn't get you tired and sweaty.

Kenny Cocksdale

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:13 pm

Yesterday, kid next to me squatting 135, no safeties. Guessing 18-19 or so, small. Sets shit up backward, so he's stepping out forward from the j-hooks. I attempt to suggest turning shit around and he ignores me. Has ear buds in of course but almost surely saw and heard me. Starts squatting and is going ass to grass and not in a good way - zero tension in the hole, gonna wreck his knees (ask me how I know). Pained me to watch but I bit my tongue given my lack of success in interacting with him.

So after a few reps he goes down, gets stapled, dumps bar behind him. Starts struggling to get the plates off the bar with it on the floor. Now I feel bad so I motion for him to pick up one side of the barbell, I'll take the other, and we'll lift it back up to the j-hooks. He can't. I just clean it myself and put it back, which effectively was cutting his balls off but I figured that was better than him struggling with the damn thing for five minutes.

Next set, he adds five pounds... and gets stapled and dumps bar again. This time I do nothing because wtf.

Third set, he adds another five pounds, and now I'm watching more carefully. Does a few reps and hits one that fucking clearly was the end of the road - used every fiber of his strength to get it up. But no! Goes down again, stapled and dumps bar, again. Now I'm fully convinced that it's intentional. He read/heard that you're supposed to go to failure, every time, and he's doing literally that. On my way out, I grab one of the trainers and tell him that someone in an official shirt needs to go back there and regulate this situation. Hopefully he actually did so. Probably not.

quikky

Post by quikky » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:20 am

DCR wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:13 pm Yesterday, kid next to me squatting 135, no safeties. Guessing 18-19 or so, small. Sets shit up backward, so he's stepping out forward from the j-hooks. I attempt to suggest turning shit around and he ignores me. Has ear buds in of course but almost surely saw and heard me. Starts squatting and is going ass to grass and not in a good way - zero tension in the hole, gonna wreck his knees (ask me how I know). Pained me to watch but I bit my tongue given my lack of success in interacting with him.

So after a few reps he goes down, gets stapled, dumps bar behind him. Starts struggling to get the plates off the bar with it on the floor. Now I feel bad so I motion for him to pick up one side of the barbell, I'll take the other, and we'll lift it back up to the j-hooks. He can't. I just clean it myself and put it back, which effectively was cutting his balls off but I figured that was better than him struggling with the damn thing for five minutes.

Next set, he adds five pounds... and gets stapled and dumps bar again. This time I do nothing because wtf.

Third set, he adds another five pounds, and now I'm watching more carefully. Does a few reps and hits one that fucking clearly was the end of the road - used every fiber of his strength to get it up. But no! Goes down again, stapled and dumps bar, again. Now I'm fully convinced that it's intentional. He read/heard that you're supposed to go to failure, every time, and he's doing literally that. On my way out, I grab one of the trainers and tell him that someone in an official shirt needs to go back there and regulate this situation. Hopefully he actually did so. Probably not.
Wow...

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:31 am

DCR wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:13 pm Yesterday, kid next to me squatting 135, no safeties. Guessing 18-19 or so, small. Sets shit up backward, so he's stepping out forward from the j-hooks. I attempt to suggest turning shit around and he ignores me. Has ear buds in of course but almost surely saw and heard me. Starts squatting and is going ass to grass and not in a good way - zero tension in the hole, gonna wreck his knees (ask me how I know). Pained me to watch but I bit my tongue given my lack of success in interacting with him.

There’s a very popular bodybuilder on YouTube at the moment called Sam Sulek. From the shorts I’ve seen he basically goes to failure on every set and likes doing heavy partials on machines.

I work in a commercial gym and I’m seeing a lot of 16-21 year olds coming in and doing stuff like you’re describing in an attempt to emulate him. It’s mostly fine until they start trying to go apeshit on the machines like he does but they don’t have the control not to smash the ever loving fuck out of the weight stack on every rep.

But yeah if he was dumping it off his back repeatedly rather than setting it on safeties then the staff should have told him to get a grip.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:29 am

Planet Fitness seems kinda wild right now according to the internets...