MarkKO's training log

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

DanCR

Re: MarkKO's training log

Post by DanCR » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:20 am

MarkKO wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:46 am Came home to a brisket we'd been smoking for around 20 hours though, which helped considerably.
I haven’t yet had breakfast and reading this really has got me considering my options.

lheugh

Post by lheugh » Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:18 am

DCR wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:20 am
MarkKO wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:46 am Came home to a brisket we'd been smoking for around 20 hours though, which helped considerably.
I haven’t yet had breakfast and reading this really has got me considering my options.
There aren't words to adequately encapsulate how jealous I am. :(

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm

@DCR @lheugh it's been a game changer for my 'meal prep'. We smoke a couple of big bits of meat once a week for my lunches at work and my wife's breakfast. Usually it's a whole pork scotch fillet because it's relatively lean and then something else, often brisket. I've also found it helps when I dry age the brisket for about a week.

DanCR

Post by DanCR » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:23 pm

MarkKO wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm @DCR @lheugh it's been a game changer for my 'meal prep'. We smoke a couple of big bits of meat once a week for my lunches at work and my wife's breakfast. Usually it's a whole pork scotch fillet because it's relatively lean and then something else, often brisket. I've also found it helps when I dry age the brisket for about a week.
If you find yourself with a new neighbor, short with some muscles but kinda pudgy, and an American accent... well it'll be great to meet you.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:58 pm

DCR wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:23 pm
MarkKO wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm @DCR @lheugh it's been a game changer for my 'meal prep'. We smoke a couple of big bits of meat once a week for my lunches at work and my wife's breakfast. Usually it's a whole pork scotch fillet because it's relatively lean and then something else, often brisket. I've also found it helps when I dry age the brisket for about a week.
If you find yourself with a new neighbor, short with some muscles but kinda pudgy, and an American accent... well it'll be great to meet you.
Oddly specific prediction 🤣🤣🤣

It'll be great to meet you too.

The smoker is turning into a hobby if I'm honest.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:19 pm

Ok, so this week has been stunningly unproductive.

This is going to be a whine more than a post, just FYI.

Across the weekend I had absolutely zero energy, and just in case I'd overreached a tad in training I decided not to take any weighted vest walks. The second fumble with the stone on Friday also pissed my ankle off, and while it hasn't swollen up again it feels like it's lost some stability. I think I made the mistake of pushing it a little too far a little too fast. In retrospect, I probably should have shelled out for an ultrasound or something just to get an idea of what exactly I did in there. It can bear weight just fine, but flexion is limited and what I've also discovered is that while it can bear weight perfectly well it absolutely will not tolerate rapid application of force, ESPECIALLY when flexing.

So there's that.

Then on Monday I got to the gym and started getting dizzy spells which historically does not bode well for me and means something is off. So I went home without doing anything, and have spent the remainder of the week feeling like something has been siphoning off all my energy. It hasn't helped that my sleep has been mediocre at best.

So, stunningly unproductive so far this week.

I'm pissed that I haven't trained, but not at myself. I've got a pretty fair idea of how well it would have gone. With any luck I'll feel better tomorrow and if I do, I'll get at least one day in this week.

MailmanMuscle

Post by MailmanMuscle » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:07 pm

Feel better soon! I know it’s close to the comp, so you’re trying to push over the finish line. Back off if you need to. The training you’ve done isn’t going to be wasted.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:06 am

MailmanMuscle wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:07 pm Feel better soon! I know it’s close to the comp, so you’re trying to push over the finish line. Back off if you need to. The training you’ve done isn’t going to be wasted.
Thanks!

That's pretty much my mentality at the moment. I'm just far off enough to have wiggle room to 'lose' a week. Also, I'm fairly sure that having a relatively physical job helps because even though I'm not training I'm definitely moving around.

One aspect of strongman that I hadn't considered, but is a massive plus compared to powerlifting is that a lot of the time the weights are set. I KNOW I can handle at least three of the weights with relative ease already, because I have in training a few times over the last three weeks. I've come very close to five others (within 20 lbs) as well. Psychologically that's a huge advantage.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:18 pm

Got my backside up and out for a single lap weighted vest walk. Heart rate was high, but pace was up there by current standards too so that's a positive. Ankle is still off. Stride is normal, but borderline painful around the Achilles for some reason.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:13 pm

Another single lap weighted vest walk today. Slightly faster than yesterday with significantly lower heart rate.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:06 am

Actually got to the gym today, but I played hockey.

Bosu ball walks
Back raises
Windmills with 35 lbs KB

3x413 lbs, 5x5x325 lbs SSB box squat to parallel
2x25 depth charges
3x10x88 lbs chest supported T-bar rows
3x10x132 lbs reverse grip pulldowns

I also had a talk to Mark because another thing that played significantly into last week was how long the sessions were taking. Without any fucking around I was taking AT LEAST and hour and 45 minutes, if not closer to two and a half hours simply with moving equipment around and setting up. That was stressing me out a lot more than I wanted to admit initially (didn't even mention it here I don't think).

Anyway, he's going to condense my sessions. In his words, that's easy we just focus on what you're bad at.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:25 am

Tuesday
Back raises
Windmills with 35 lbs KB

2x8x440 lbs frame DL
4x8x100 lbs chest supported T-bar row
4x10x132 lbs reverse grip pulldown

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Feb 01, 2024 2:15 am

Thursday
Bosu ball walks
Pull aparts
Windmills with 35 lbs KB
Single arm bottoms up press with 35 lbs KB

3x1x203 lbs axle clean and press
3x1x203 lbs yoke press
3x3x77 lbs monster DB

This week is super low volume because we're doing a run through of the meet on Saturday. Yoke press felt better than it ever has today, and so did MDB.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:26 pm

Saturday competition dry run

Bosu ball walks
Back raises
Windmills with 16 kg KB, which are quickly becoming a favourite warmup

Farmer's carry with 220 lbs each hand 10 metres to duckwalk with 242 lbs 10 metres in 21 seconds. I'm reasonably satisfied with that, ideally I'll be able shave a second or two off in three weeks.

Overhead medley 198 lbs axle clean and press, 220 lbs yoke press didn't go after three attempts so no chance of trying the 132 lbs monster DB. Axle went up easier than expected but couldn't quite get yoke to cooperate. It wasn't too far off though so I think I've got a reasonable chance on the day. No idea about the MDB. This is my damage control event and TBH I suspect the same will apply to a couple of the other guys.

Deadlift medley 440 lbs axle, 573 lbs silver dollar and 617 lbs frame DL. Neither axle nor silver dollar presented a problem, but ran out of time on the frame. Turns out our time starts when we're a couple of steps away from the axle and I take longer setting straps than I thought. I had around 25 seconds or so when I got to the frame and couldn't get my straps set in time. So I've got a couple of options, being to mixed grip ideally both the axle and silver dollar; and also look at getting a smaller pair of figure 8s for the frame because currently my figure 6s are the only straps that work and they take a while to set. I might try to do both. I'm not concerned about the frame weight as I got a couple of sets of six at 602 lbs a couple of weeks ago.

Zercher yoke carry with 374 lbs, longest distance possible in 60 seconds around a 10 metre track (turn 180 degrees every 10 metres). Got around 20 metres in 30 seconds, and probably was good for another 10 if I had the crossbar set a notch lower. As it was the yoke kept catching the ground which made it harder than it had to be. The turns were good, which I'm pleased about as a lot of people seemed to struggle with them.

Stone to shoulder 242 lbs as many as possible in 60 seconds. Got a big fat zero because the 'platform' we did this on is made of two layers of floor mats and the bottom layer had moved so my left foot kept sliding into a gap. This would suck at any time, but considering my left ankle isn't anywhere near where it should be this was just too distracting. Annoying, but I know I can happily get 220 lbs so I'm less concerned than I would be otherwise. I'll just make sure to set up a decent surface to train on.

Took around three hours for all of us (eight, I think?) to do. The actual day will be longer with more rest, which will help.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:23 am

MarkKO wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:26 pm Saturday competition dry run

Bosu ball walks
Back raises

Farmer's carry with 220 lbs each hand 10 metres to duckwalk with 242 lbs 10 metres in 21 seconds. I'm reasonably satisfied with that, ideally I'll be able shave a second or two off in three weeks.

Overhead medley 198 lbs axle clean and press, 220 lbs yoke press didn't go after three attempts so no chance of trying the 132 lbs monster DB. Axle went up easier than expected but couldn't quite get yoke to cooperate. It wasn't too far off though so I think I've got a reasonable chance on the day. No idea about the MDB. This is my damage control event and TBH I suspect the same will apply to a couple of the other guys.

Deadlift medley 440 lbs axle, 573 lbs silver dollar and 617 lbs frame DL. Neither axle nor silver dollar presented a problem, but ran out of time on the frame. Turns out our time starts when we're a couple of steps away from the axle and I take longer setting straps than I thought. I had around 25 seconds or so when I got to the frame and couldn't get my straps set in time. So I've got a couple of options, being to mixed grip ideally both the axle and silver dollar; and also look at getting a smaller pair of figure 8s for the frame because currently my figure 6s are the only straps that work and they take a while to set. I might try to do both. I'm not concerned about the frame weight as I got a couple of sets of six at 602 lbs a couple of weeks ago.

Zercher yoke carry with 374 lbs, longest distance possible in 60 seconds around a 10 metre track (turn 180 degrees every 10 metres). Got around 20 metres in 30 seconds, and probably was good for another 10 if I had the crossbar set a notch lower. As it was the yoke kept catching the ground which made it harder than it had to be. The turns were good, which I'm pleased about as a lot of people seemed to struggle with them.

Stone to shoulder 242 lbs as many as possible in 60 seconds. Got a big fat zero because the 'platform' we did this on is made of two layers of floor mats and the bottom layer had moved so my left foot kept sliding into a gap. This would suck at any time, but considering my left ankle isn't anywhere near where it should be this was just too distracting. Annoying, but I know I can happily get 220 lbs so I'm less concerned than I would be otherwise. I'll just make sure to set up a decent surface to train on.

Took around three hours for all of us (eight, I think?) to do. The actual day will be longer with more rest, which will help.
The biggest factor on the day will be who you are paired with for each event. Someone basically even with you or even slightly better will push you. Someone way less than you will hurt your performance and so would someone way better. Someone similar in ability will give you a major adrenaline push that you will have to almost control a little.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:01 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:23 am
MarkKO wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:26 pm Saturday competition dry run

Bosu ball walks
Back raises

The biggest factor on the day will be who you are paired with for each event. Someone basically even with you or even slightly better will push you. Someone way less than you will hurt your performance and so would someone way better. Someone similar in ability will give you a major adrenaline push that you will have to almost control a little.
Funny you should say that, because apparently what's going to happen is you don't get paired with someone in your grouping.

By all accounts because there are a lot of people competing in multiple classes there will be something like three or four lanes and each one will have a different class.

I don't know for sure this will happen, and I would much prefer the situation you describe which is what I thought would happen initially.

There are so many different classes for this one because it's a qualifier for various different associations. Off the top of my head it goes novice u90, novice u100, novice open; junior; u90, u105, open, masters u90, masters u100, masters open. I may have left out or made up a couple, but it's close to that.

Either way I have a decent plan going forward. I talked to Mark and I'll get a chance to see how well I can mixed grip the axle and silver dollar this coming week most likely which will let me know exactly what needs to happen for the DL medley.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:15 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:01 pm
MarkKO wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:26 pm
Funny you should say that, because apparently what's going to happen is you don't get paired with someone in your grouping.

By all accounts because there are a lot of people competing in multiple classes there will be something like three or four lanes and each one will have a different class.

I don't know for sure this will happen, and I would much prefer the situation you describe which is what I thought would happen initially.

There are so many different classes for this one because it's a qualifier for various different associations. Off the top of my head it goes novice u90, novice u100, novice open; junior; u90, u105, open, masters u90, masters u100, masters open. I may have left out or made up a couple, but it's close to that.

Either way I have a decent plan going forward. I talked to Mark and I'll get a chance to see how well I can mixed grip the axle and silver dollar this coming week most likely which will let me know exactly what needs to happen for the DL medley.
False grip the Axle, even with mixed grip, it allows some over rotation of the hands and gives you the same effect as over rotating the pick on Farmer's. Use regular straps not figure 8, and if you aren't using them for the Axle I would cut them shorter. Easier/faster to wrap if it's just going around once and getting grabbed. Not the most secure grip but infinitely better than no strap. And chalk the straps as well as the backs of the hands, not just to control hand sweat but to allow fresh chalk introduction on the fly. We used to put tacky on the backs of our hands for stone runs for the same reason.

Hopefully you have at least one lane with somebody slightly faster than you with whatever their given weight is. The visual of someone to catch or beat really picks up the pace.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:35 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 3:15 pm
MarkKO wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:01 pm
MarkKO wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:26 pm

False grip the Axle, even with mixed grip, it allows some over rotation of the hands and gives you the same effect as over rotating the pick on Farmer's. Use regular straps not figure 8, and if you aren't using them for the Axle I would cut them shorter. Easier/faster to wrap if it's just going around once and getting grabbed. Not the most secure grip but infinitely better than no strap. And chalk the straps as well as the backs of the hands, not just to control hand sweat but to allow fresh chalk introduction on the fly. We used to put tacky on the backs of our hands for stone runs for the same reason.

Hopefully you have at least one lane with somebody slightly faster than you with whatever their given weight is. The visual of someone to catch or beat really picks up the pace.
You are a goldmine of information. Thanks heaps.

The false grip part I had already figured out, but good to hear it's what I should be doing.

What's the reasoning behind cutting the straps shorter for frame instead of figure 8s? Just speed?

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:12 pm

Today's weighted vest walk was more about recover than anything else, obviously. So just did a single lap but the pace wasn't bad, especially on the second kilometre.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:28 am

Week six of peaking. Spent the last couple of hours of work taking up carpet tiles and the linoleum underneath followed by stripping the sheets off the walls. Work is moving into the larger unit next door, which means fitting it out. I was drenched in sweat by the time we were done.

Bosu ball walks
Back raises
Windmills with 35 lbs KB

2x15 m x440 lbs farmer's walk in 10 and 11 seconds
14x529 lbs frame DL in 60 seconds
2x20/arm x 88 lbs Kroc rows with straps
4x12x132 lbs reverse grip pulldown

Haven't done farmer's walk in the rain yet, which is the only reason I wore no shirt. It wasn't terrible. Also thanks @Hardartery for the tip to cut my figure sixes and chalk them. Strapping took me around seven seconds