Gross injury video thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mbasic

Re: Gross injury video thread

Post by mbasic » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:44 am

Philbert wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:27 pm
mbasic wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:20 pm This guy died

set up straps for a monolift
Howabout simple safety arms? I bet soon it will be mandatory manufacturers provide these with every rack/rack set up.

....and I'm sure at that gym the safety arms are laying around in the broom closet or something.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:01 am

mbasic wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:44 am

Howabout simple safety arms? I bet soon it will be mandatory manufacturers provide these with every rack/rack set up.

....and I'm sure at that gym the safety arms are laying around in the broom closet or something.
We have a pretty long discussion going on this in the Stupid Questions thread. Dude was not in the US, and I am unaware of any racks that currently come without spotter arms or straps. Not a factor in what happened here, he was obviously given to lifting outside of any racks or safeties for the benefit of the camera to play better on social media. His problem was the spotter, combined with his own bad decision making. Once your ass is down in the hole like his was, you can only safely dump backwards which is where the spotter should have pulled the bar. In spite of the incredibly awful everything about that spot, he could have saved the day by not letting the guy dump forward from that impossible position at the end.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:35 pm

Safety arms for a monolift would be far from simple. One of the features of the device is the adjustable width to accommodate wide grips, I would not want a rigid safety inside my hand width Straps, on the other hand, can be looped over the top bar and under the barbell. They don't get in the way, they look cool on the 'grams, and they partially adjust to lifter height along with the monolift hooks.
Edit to add: For some reason after I first watched the video I though he was walking it out of the monolift, hence all the monolift oriented safety comments. Second look I see I was wrong, so the safety arms are the way to go. Or keep everyone out of the way behind and dump it straight down the back as soon as it is clear it ain't happening today. The best use for a single spotter in a heavy squat is the same as the use of a forklift spotter in a warehouse store: keep the clueless wanderers clear of the action.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:37 am

Philbert wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:35 pm

Safety arms for a monolift would be far from simple. One of the features of the device is the adjustable width to accommodate wide grips, I would not want a rigid safety inside my hand width Straps, on the other hand, can be looped over the top bar and under the barbell. They don't get in the way, they look cool on the 'grams, and they partially adjust to lifter height along with the monolift hooks.
Edit to add: For some reason after I first watched the video I though he was walking it out of the monolift, hence all the monolift oriented safety comments. Second look I see I was wrong, so the safety arms are the way to go. Or keep everyone out of the way behind and dump it straight down the back as soon as it is clear it ain't happening today. The best use for a single spotter in a heavy squat is the same as the use of a forklift spotter in a warehouse store: keep the clueless wanderers clear of the action.
There is no monolift in any of the posted videoss, so I don't think mbasic is referring to one.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:17 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:37 am
Philbert wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 4:35 pm

There is no monolift in any of the posted videoss, so I don't think mbasic is referring to one.
Neither do I.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:26 am

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:43 am

I mean, the Chubb thing was ugly, but it was waaaaay less graphic than I was expecting from the ESPN/twitter pearl clutching.

mouse

Post by mouse » Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:50 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:43 am I mean, the Chubb thing was ugly, but it was waaaaay less graphic than I was expecting from the ESPN/twitter pearl clutching.
This sounds like a good time to confess that I have a weird phobia of hyperextending my knee like that for as far back as I can remember.

I haven't had any prior knee injuries or anything, I may have tweaked my MCL or meniscus once, but for some reason the idea of my leg going flamingo, no matter how unlikely, freaks me out...

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Fri Jan 19, 2024 8:30 am