Barbell for pulls

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

pcolumbus

Barbell for pulls

Post by pcolumbus » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:38 pm

hey everyone,

Looking to fork over some cash for a deadlift/rows bar for day to day usage in a climate controlled basement gym. My question is similar to this earlier thread, but I think AB bars are a bit mild.

viewtopic.php?t=2583

Current State:
I have the Rogue Deadlift bar(black zinc, 27mm), but find it to be too rough on hands for more than a set. I also have the AB Elite Power bar(SS, 29mm). But I find its knurl to be too mild and it is too big for my fingers - it is fine for presses.

So I'm ideally looking for a 28mm SS bar that is milder than Rogue Deadlift & with a bit more grip than AB bars. Budget is up to $1000. This bar will replace my Rogue Deadlift bar.

Options?
Here are some options based on my research. I'm mainly looking for feedback on how their knurl feels. Any suggestions from here or otherwise?
1) Rogue Pyrros Bar, SS
2) Rogue Olympic WL bar, SS
3) AB Precision Training Bar, SS
4) Uesaka Men's Training bar, bare steel

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Barbell for pulls

Post by mgil » Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:48 pm

Per that prior thread, I still think bare metal works the best.

I like the B&R barbell if Rogue still makes it. The Buddy Capps stuff might be good?

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:56 pm

mgil wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:48 pm Per that prior thread, I still think bare metal works the best.

I like the B&R barbell if Rogue still makes it. The Buddy Capps stuff might be good?
@mgil B&R is a 29mm, isn't it? That rules it out for me. Buddy Capps DL Bar seems to be aggressive knurl, just like the Rogue DL bar.

Prior thread's recommendation was the AB SS Precision Training Bar. I guess it is better to err on the milder side with AB & use chalk to improve grip?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:45 pm

pcolumbus wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:38 pm hey everyone,

Looking to fork over some cash for a deadlift/rows bar for day to day usage in a climate controlled basement gym. My question is similar to this earlier thread, but I think AB bars are a bit mild.

viewtopic.php?t=2583

Current State:
I have the Rogue Deadlift bar(black zinc, 27mm), but find it to be too rough on hands for more than a set. I also have the AB Elite Power bar(SS, 29mm). But I find its knurl to be too mild and it is too big for my fingers - it is fine for presses.

So I'm ideally looking for a 28mm SS bar that is milder than Rogue Deadlift & with a bit more grip than AB bars. Budget is up to $1000. This bar will replace my Rogue Deadlift bar.

Options?
Here are some options based on my research. I'm mainly looking for feedback on how their knurl feels. Any suggestions from here or otherwise?
1) Rogue Pyrros Bar, SS
So, I will go on record as stating that I really, really hate 27mm bars, and strongly dislike 28mm, but I also think it should be a legal mandate that only oblong or square toilets can be made or installed. That said, if you think the knurl is too aggressive but like everything else about the bar, get it ceracote or the equivalent. That will probably take just enough off the knurl to be comfy for you. Seriously, the protective coatings dull the bite a little.

hector

Post by hector » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:16 am

pcolumbus wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 3:38 pm hey everyone,

viewtopic.php?t=2583

Current State:

Options?
1) Rogue Pyrros Bar, SS
If you’re cool spending that much $, I’d consider the Kabuki deadlift bar.
Allegedly the knurling is strong, but works great without being especially sharp due to the unique design. Maybe it’s marketing be? Idk.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:41 am

My favorite pulls/fast-lift bar:

https://eleiko.com/en-us/equipment/bars ... -bar-20-kg

The knurl is quite mild, but somehow still very tacky. Construction is perfect. Quality feels a notch above the Rogue WL bar (which I also own [my Rogue WL bar is zinc coated]).

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:20 am

Hanley wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:41 am My favorite pulls/fast-lift bar:

The knurl is quite mild, but somehow still very tacky. Construction is perfect. Quality feels a notch above the Rogue WL bar (which I also own [my Rogue WL bar is zinc coated]).
My Lifetime gym has these bars, and they're great. One caveat, not sure if its just me, but the knurl doesn't seem to bite my leather straps very well, and when I SGDL, will have to reset the grip every couple of reps.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Jan 02, 2024 1:20 pm

I'm not saying it's a good idea to home Cerakote your bar, but if you love the bar and just want to take the edge off the knurl you could. It's not "real" Cerakote, but for lifting purposes on the knurl it'd be fine.

pcolumbus

Post by pcolumbus » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:56 pm

Hanley wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:41 am My favorite pulls/fast-lift bar:

The choice now is between the AB Precision Training bar and Eleiko performance bar (Based on @Hanley recommendation). I'm tempted to try the Eleiko, but reddit reviews are negative about recent Eleiko purchases. Specifically the complaints are that the knurling is very inconsistent between different bars of the same model & year.

Did anyone experience such inconsistencies with recent Eleiko bars ? I'd hate to spend $800 and find out the knurling isn't what is advertised.