Jordan's Training Stress Score

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

DCR

Re: Jordan's Training Stress Score

Post by DCR » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:24 am

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:45 am - I do not see the link between this topic and "publish or perish". No one here is an academic author publishing peer reviewed research.
Interner clout requires a constant feeding of eyeballs.

Philbert

Post by Philbert » Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:45 am

DCR wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 7:24 am
CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:45 am - I do not see the link between this topic and "publish or perish". No one here is an academic author publishing peer reviewed research.
Interner clout requires a constant feeding of eyeballs.
A lot of what academics publish is not actually peer reviewed research either. They have to publish to keep their jobs, as do internet fitness gurus. In both cases, the result is large volumes of poorly researched collections of words, frequently either repackaged, irrelevant, or simply wrong.

dw

Post by dw » Sat Jan 06, 2024 9:07 am

I'm guessing the intended value of metrics like this is more for coaches programming for others than for self-coached trainees.

The hope is that through experience you are able to quantify the trainees fatigue budget and fill out a chart like the one in the OP.

Assuming you can do that accurately, you can then generate programming blocks for the individual based on their desired focus on strength or hypertrophy or, if they're serious about PL, their long term need to make progress in both.

Whereas if you're an individual just programming for yourself you can respond day by day or even set by set to how you think you are handling the given stimulus, adjusting volumes and RPE as needed.