Programming Pull Ups as a Big Lift

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

AlanMackey

Re: Programming Pull Ups as a Big Lift

Post by AlanMackey » Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:34 pm

broseph wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:41 am I'll chime in to say I think chins/pullups can be trained with increased frequency compared to the other lifts.

I don't know if it's a nod to our ancestral usage of the upper limbs (as you've mentioned) or just a personal anecdote, but weighted chins don't seem to wear and tear my joint structures like the press, bench, squat, and deadlift. I've been doing just about everything with increased frequency the past month or so, and I'm starting to feel beat up everywhere except for chins.

I imagine programming should be similar to the other lifts, especially for someone like you who is already proficient in the lift (i.e. bodyweight only is below 60% of your 1RM).

I'm excited to see where this ends up, so I can steal all the ideas and increase my own weighted chinups. :)
This!

Upper back max volume must be close to infinite.

SeeMac

Re: Programming Pull Ups as a Big Lift

Post by SeeMac » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:35 am

I've worked up to a +165 chin at 180-ish bodyweight (full deadhang, paused with chin above bar). In my experience, bodyweight chins don't carry over much to weighted ones. The mechanics change a lot, since the weight hands kind of in front of you with a belt, it becomes more lat dominant.

I tend to train them sporadically, taking many months/years off just doing other back work (generally when my golfers elbow explodes). Usually able to PR with about a month or two of training them again.

Using a basic 3 week cycle based off of Prilipen's chart took me to +135 ish pretty quickly. Twice a week. Day 1 was 6 x 4 @ 70%, Day 2 was 5 x 4 @ 75%, Day 3 was 5 x 3 @ 80%, Day 4 was 5 x 2 @ 85%, Day 5 was a few singles at 90% and then Day 6 was PR day. Went from like + 70 to + 135 in 2 or 3 months then elbow aids kicked in. %s are based of 1RM using BW + added weight.

Trained them more bodybuilding style for the next few years as I had on/off golfer's elbow. Generally once a week, few sets of 8-12 reps with 35-70 pounds added. Eventually focused on them again, simply doing 1 @ 8 then 4x4 @ 80% once a week. First single was like +90 pounds, and 5 or 6 weeks later I hit +165 at RPE 10.

The chinup master is some finnish guy named Timo. He had a pretty bad accident a few years ago and since has shifted into distance running, but he was an animal. Hit +100 kg in competition at similar bodyweight, and is probably the only non skinny rock climber to ever do a one arm chinup on a rolling thunder. Mind boggling strength.