Linear Progression: A Myth

Articles about strength training and related topics

Moderator: Manveer

Skid

Re: Linear Progression: A Myth

Post by Skid » Sat Dec 16, 2023 1:17 pm

I think after a bit of a layoff or a longer term deload LP'ing works quite well. Currently doing a form of it now. Obviously there is a limited time frame for doing this, maybe 3 months before you reach the limits, but it does work very well in my opinion, at least from a strength point of view.

I've recommended and coached LP for new lifters with success every time. No complaints from the lifters because they got bigger and stronger. Then move on to an intermediate program. What's so controversial about that?

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Re: Linear Progression: A Myth

Post by KyleSchuant » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:30 pm

I think the controversy is mainly around the "linear" part. "Linear" would literally mean 5lbs a session, or a week, or whatever. It's only ever linear if you either progress very slowly, or you cut the progression short of where you could get to. If you go to smaller increments or bring in a heavy/light day or whatever, it's no longer 'linear", it's something approaching a curve. Thus the image on the cover of Practical Programming.

Secondarily, the controversy is over whether "do 3 sets of 5, add 5lbs next time" is optimal, or some other approach, like ascending sets to a single heavy work set, etc.

And then lastly there's the psychological aspect. Because "keeping adding weight to the bar till you can't, drop back, build up again, repeat" is a good way to burn out on it all. People can take all sorts of suffering if they know when it's going to end, that's why you find yourself looking at the clock at work an hour before you knock off.