Was I getting scammed?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

hector

Was I getting scammed?

Post by hector » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:56 pm

Saw a CL ad.
Couple hours away, but was too good to pass on.
It was one price for two items I've long wanted: a Prime adjustable bench and a 75lb Ironmaster Dumbbell set with add-on to 120lb and the stand.
Both look to be in great condition.
Price: $900.
(Price new for both would be around $1,800. So, awesome savings.)

I talk to the seller. Tell her I'd like to buy and can come up after work on Thursday.
Everything seems good. Says it will be a "no contact" sale which I'm fine with.
Says weights and bench will be in driveway. Up to me to load myself. Fine.

I take off work early to drive up to Jersey. Last minute she says she won't give me her address until I pay her the entire $900.
I say I'd like to see weights and bench before paying.
She says not possible. Reiterates that without payment I will not receive the address and so cannot inspect the weights and bench prior to purchase.

I tell her I'm not comfortable venmo-ing such a large amount of money to a person I don't know for an item I haven't seen.
She says fine and ends it.

Question: Was it a scam?

In case they're still up, here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 3171ac3083

Michiganian

Re: Was I getting scammed?

Post by Michiganian » Fri Oct 27, 2023 7:46 am

hector wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:56 pm Question: Was it a scam?
Sounds like it to me. Even if it isn't: Who in their right mind with two functioning neurons to rub together would pay for something they haven't seen from somebody they don't know?

CL has a fraud reporting mechanism. I'd report that listing as suspicious if I'd experienced what you did.

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:14 am

hector wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:56 pm Saw a CL ad.
Couple hours away, but was too good to pass on.
It was one price for two items I've long wanted: a Prime adjustable bench and a 75lb Ironmaster Dumbbell set with add-on to 120lb and the stand.
Both look to be in great condition.
Price: $900.
(Price new for both would be around $1,800. So, awesome savings.)

I talk to the seller. Tell her I'd like to buy and can come up after work on Thursday.
Everything seems good. Says it will be a "no contact" sale which I'm fine with.
Says weights and bench will be in driveway. Up to me to load myself. Fine.

I take off work early to drive up to Jersey. Last minute she says she won't give me her address until I pay her the entire $900.
I say I'd like to see weights and bench before paying.
She says not possible. Reiterates that without payment I will not receive the address and so cannot inspect the weights and bench prior to purchase.

I tell her I'm not comfortable venmo-ing such a large amount of money to a person I don't know for an item I haven't seen.
She says fine and ends it.

Question: Was it a scam?

In case they're still up, here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 3171ac3083
The FB profile that listed the item seems like a real one. I'd guess probably not a scam, but just think she doesn't really understand that people won't want to pay that much money upfront sight unseen. There's no way I'd go through with the transaction even if I though it was a legit sale.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:15 am

Maybe a scam, but could also just be an idiot seller. I'd consider putting down a token amount to hold something if I really wanted it, but more like $50 on a $900 purchase. That's something that should be specified up front when you're arranging the pickup details. I'm not putting a dime down without a set meeting location.

I have no problem walking away from sellers if anything at all triggers the spidey senses. Refusing to send an address without receiving full payment is an instant Nope for me.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:32 am

murphyreedus wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 8:15 am Maybe a scam, but could also just be an idiot seller.
Given omaniphil's comments it looks more like the latter. Sounds like she's afraid of becoming a stranger danger victim so she doesn't want to physically meet, but, she's also afraid if she sets the stuff out somebody may just come up, take it, and split.

In this day-and-age I don't know as I blame her, if that's what's going on, but, I'd walk rather than agree to those terms.

hector

Post by hector » Fri Oct 27, 2023 5:19 pm

Everyone,

Thanks for the sanity check. I was alternating between kicking myself for missing out on such a great deal and patting myself on the back for not being duped.