Pondering A Vertical Leg Press Machine

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Michiganian

Pondering A Vertical Leg Press Machine

Post by Michiganian » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:34 am

As a result of a leg press machine discussion in another forum and looking down the road to the Fierce 5 Intermediate Upper/Lower programs: I may desire a leg press machine in the not-too-far-distant future.

(And there I was thinking that after I upgraded my bench I'd be done with New Gym Equipment Acquisition. Ha!)

Considering the options, costs, and footprints I think the only thing that would work for me would be a vertical leg press machine. I haven't spent much time looking at them yet, but, the Titan Fitness Vertical Leg Press looks like it'd fill the bill nicely.

So, experiences with vertical leg press machines in general? Thoughts on the Titan Fitness product? Other suggestions or thoughts?

(There's a nearly identical Body-Solid vertical leg press on FB Marketplace for $150, about an hour-and-a-half away. I'd probably snag that for the savings if I was ready for it now. Alas: I don't currently have the room for it. Plus the bench upgrade has higher priority.)

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Pondering A Vertical Leg Press Machine

Post by mgil » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:02 am

I had a VLP years ago. It was okay, but ROM was limited compared to a 45 degree leg press. Better than nothing if you’re truly space limited. Have you looked at smaller hip squat solutions?

Michiganian

Re: Pondering A Vertical Leg Press Machine

Post by Michiganian » Tue Oct 24, 2023 10:14 am

mgil wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:02 am Have you looked at smaller hip squat solutions?
If "hip squat" = "belt squat": I've a dip belt I acquired recently for standing calf raises. I find the load around my hips and the weight dangling between my legs awkward and uncomfortable. So I think I'd be disinclined to go that way.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.