Red spots/burst capillaries around eyes/cheeks

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

janoycresva

Red spots/burst capillaries around eyes/cheeks

Post by janoycresva » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:35 pm

Anyone ever get these? I used to get them from high RPE sets of squats and deadlifts sometimes, but never to the extent I got them today from like three sets of hack squats at ~3 RIR. My head felt like it was going to burst toward the end of each set, and I guess it partially did.

Thoughts/remedies? Where does this place me on the Baraki exertion scale?

zappey1

Re: Red spots/burst capillaries around eyes/cheeks

Post by zappey1 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:42 pm

janoycresva wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:35 pm Anyone ever get these? I used to get them from high RPE sets of squats and deadlifts sometimes, but never to the extent I got them today from like three sets of hack squats at ~3 RIR. My head felt like it was going to burst toward the end of each set, and I guess it partially did.

I have gotten burst blood veseles in my eyes lifting on several occasions. Twice in strong man competions probably another 4 lifting in the garage with high intensity.

It comes from the pressure and strain/holding your breath. As far as I know they are harmless but took a long time for the ones I had to heal all the way. I don't know if there is a remedy

If you are getting them on a regular basis I would say that the intensity may need to be adjusted

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Fri Jul 28, 2023 6:15 pm

zappey1 wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:42 pm
janoycresva wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:35 pm Anyone ever get these? I used to get them from high RPE sets of squats and deadlifts sometimes, but never to the extent I got them today from like three sets of hack squats at ~3 RIR. My head felt like it was going to burst toward the end of each set, and I guess it partially did.

I have gotten burst blood veseles in my eyes lifting on several occasions. Twice in strong man competions probably another 4 lifting in the garage with high intensity.

It comes from the pressure and strain/holding your breath. As far as I know they are harmless but took a long time for the ones I had to heal all the way. I don't know if there is a remedy

If you are getting them on a regular basis I would say that the intensity may need to be adjusted
This week was sets at 3 RIR and I hit 17 reps my first set, not sure if I can actually adjust it down meaningfully from here. I think I might just time all machine leg work so I don’t have to go out in public for a bit afterwards, because I look absolutely fucked right now lmao.

Zak

Post by Zak » Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:30 am

Happens to me all the time. No remedy of which I’m aware. It should go away in a couple days.

s0meJerk

Post by s0meJerk » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:17 am

I get these with almost any high effort reps where I’m bracing real hard and holding my breath through the whole rep. I started purposely breathing out on the way up from a squat or bench and it stopped happening. I’m still playing with it atm.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:11 pm

“Petechia” is the medical term… I call it “squat rash”. Get it on my face and neck/traps from high RPE squats and deads. Hack squats would do it too. I do think certain styles of bracing are more or less prone to this. Hard to explain but if I valsalva one way it feels like all the air/pressure is in my face (and lips particularly for some reason) vs another way where it’s in my belly. The second way is better and less likely to result in the squat rash for me. And also if you can “open the valve” slightly as you pass the sticking point as mentioned above it will help too.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:24 pm

TimK wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 12:11 pm “Petechia” is the medical term… I call it “squat rash”. Get it on my face and neck/traps from high RPE squats and deads. Hack squats would do it too. I do think certain styles of bracing are more or less prone to this. Hard to explain but if I valsalva one way it feels like all the air/pressure is in my face (and lips particularly for some reason) vs another way where it’s in my belly. The second way is better and less likely to result in the squat rash for me. And also if you can “open the valve” slightly as you pass the sticking point as mentioned above it will help too.
I think the position in leg press with my head below my extremities and torso exacerbates it a ton, I have to push pretty hard to get it from squats and deadlifts but on leg press I get it at like 3-4 RIR. Between that and the shitty ROM and awkwardness of this gym's leg press, I think I'm going to hang it up and stick to bulgarian split squats for a while.