Revolt Fitness Belt Squat

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

quikky

Revolt Fitness Belt Squat

Post by quikky » Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:58 am

Anyone have experience using this thing:

https://revoltfitness.com/products/belt ... tachment-1

I know people made similar deals on their own, but this is pre-made and I wonder how well it works.

CamLeslie

Re: Revolt Fitness Belt Squat

Post by CamLeslie » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:53 am

I own it. I've only used it a handful of times but it definitely hits the quads. Seems to be constructed well and does what it says it will. I used it on my deadlift days for a little extra leg work without having to load up the bar. I have the SPUD dip belt that I use with it since it doesn't have a belt.

quikky

Post by quikky » Fri Aug 18, 2023 4:15 pm

CamLeslie wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:53 am I own it. I've only used it a handful of times but it definitely hits the quads. Seems to be constructed well and does what it says it will. I used it on my deadlift days for a little extra leg work without having to load up the bar. I have the SPUD dip belt that I use with it since it doesn't have a belt.
Thanks.

Are you able to do belt squats from the floor, without standing on blocks? Have you tried using it a bit like a landmine for rows?

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:03 pm

Haven't used it but just looking at it I would say it's ridiculously short. The shorter the lever arm, the more of an arcing path you're going to have with the weight. If the arm is longer it's a lot closer to feeling like a straight up and down movement. The other issue is that the weight is pretty much in the middle of the arm so you're only going to get ~50% resistance of whatever you load. Depending on how strong you are and what types of plates you have, you might not be able to load enough weight for anything other than very high reps. And with 45's on there, with such a short arm, they might be in the way and force a wide stance. May not be a problem for you depending on your build and normal stance width but if you were thinking of using a narrow stance with more forward knee travel (maybe with elevated heels) it might not be possible.

I've experimented a lot with homemade belt squat setups and I would say longer is pretty much better as far as the movement, it's just a matter of what you can practically make work with your space and materials. I view this design and similar commercially available pieces that are comically short as blatant bandwagon cash-grabs. Shorter = cheaper to build and ship = more profit, at the expense of the movement quality.

But again, haven't used it.

quikky

Post by quikky » Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:59 am

TimK wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:03 pm Haven't used it but just looking at it I would say it's ridiculously short. The shorter the lever arm, the more of an arcing path you're going to have with the weight. If the arm is longer it's a lot closer to feeling like a straight up and down movement. The other issue is that the weight is pretty much in the middle of the arm so you're only going to get ~50% resistance of whatever you load. Depending on how strong you are and what types of plates you have, you might not be able to load enough weight for anything other than very high reps. And with 45's on there, with such a short arm, they might be in the way and force a wide stance. May not be a problem for you depending on your build and normal stance width but if you were thinking of using a narrow stance with more forward knee travel (maybe with elevated heels) it might not be possible.

I've experimented a lot with homemade belt squat setups and I would say longer is pretty much better as far as the movement, it's just a matter of what you can practically make work with your space and materials. I view this design and similar commercially available pieces that are comically short as blatant bandwagon cash-grabs. Shorter = cheaper to build and ship = more profit, at the expense of the movement quality.

Thanks for the input, these are all great points.

Zak

Post by Zak » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:41 am

TimK wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:03 pm Haven't used it but just looking at it I would say it's ridiculously short. The shorter the lever arm, the more of an arcing path you're going to have with the weight. If the arm is longer it's a lot closer to feeling like a straight up and down movement. The other issue is that the weight is pretty much in the middle of the arm so you're only going to get ~50% resistance of whatever you load. Depending on how strong you are and what types of plates you have, you might not be able to load enough weight for anything other than very high reps. And with 45's on there, with such a short arm, they might be in the way and force a wide stance. May not be a problem for you depending on your build and normal stance width but if you were thinking of using a narrow stance with more forward knee travel (maybe with elevated heels) it might not be possible.

I own it and this is right on. Lever arm is way too short, and loaded to max capacity I can still easily hit 25+ reps with the thing even with a pause in the hole. Have tried adding bands but that doesn't work very well given the angles and the short stroke. The stance width with 45s is also an issue as Tim noted.

On the plus side, it's well made for what it is and fits my rogue monster lite rack well. If you want it for Wenning warmups or something like that it may be worth it versus a way more expensive belt squat machine, but in terms of an overloading movement it has been a failure for me and I would not recommend it.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:45 pm

IMO all of these lever-based belt squats suck total dick

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:36 am

janoycresva wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:45 pm IMO all of these lever-based belt squats suck total dick
Why? Have you used one with a longer lever arm?

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Fri Sep 01, 2023 10:55 pm

TimK wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 6:36 am
janoycresva wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:45 pm IMO all of these lever-based belt squats suck total dick
Why? Have you used one with a longer lever arm?
i've used the BOS one and the wenning style one, not sure if those count as long-lever, but both pulled me forward at the bottom in a really unpleasant way

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:45 pm

11 gauge

hector

Post by hector » Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:10 am

Maybe this should be a new thread, but has anyone ever tried the SquatMax MD?
Gets around the arm-length/arc problem of other belt squats by using a different design that, unfortunately, takes up a lot of space.
I think they look cool, but have never used one, don’t know anyone who has.