Geoffrey Schofield’s “ravage” program

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

Robster

Geoffrey Schofield’s “ravage” program

Post by Robster » Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm

Has anyone ran this or looked at it? Would u likely see good results doing this? I finished Bromley’s Kong program. Enjoyed it, gained a few pounds, feel maybe a little bigger. Didnt do much for strength at all tho. Im on week 2 of Geoffreys Ravage program. The 6 days a week tho just makes me feel like im going too much and many lifts are at RPE 10. Just kinda re-thinking everything. It seems in the past i always got good results when i did programs that had u lift 3-4 days per week and not always to failure. I keep getting the urge to stop and switch to something like Wendler’s 5/3/1 or madcows 5x5. Just curious if any of u guys have ran the Ravage program or had any thoughts on it?

CheekiBreekiFitness

Re: Geoffrey Schofield’s “ravage” program

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:32 pm

Robster wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm Has anyone ran this or looked at it?
Is this https://www.boostcamp.app/geoffrey-schofield/ravage an accurate description of the program ?
Robster wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm Would u likely see good results doing this?
This is litterally impossible to predict, unless you run the program and/or have run program that have similar variables (exercises, RPE, rep range, number of sets etc).
Robster wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm I finished Bromley’s Kong program. Enjoyed it, gained a few pounds, feel maybe a little bigger. Didnt do much for strength at all tho.
What are your current goals ? If you are interested in strength (or a mix of strength and hypertrophy) then Ravage (or Kong) don't sound like very good choices because they do not make you lift heavy weights. If you are only interested in hypertrophy its a different story.
Robster wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm The 6 days a week tho just makes me feel like im going too much and many lifts are at RPE 10.
The program gives you target RPEs. If you are overshooting your RPE (getting an RPE 10 when you were aiming for RPE 8) it means you're not selecting loads appropriately. You should select loads by performing ramping sets to your target weight until the target RPE is attained. If you always attempt to beat what you did in the previous weeks you're going to under/overshoot, because your strength on any given day can fluctuate by as much as 10%.
Robster wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm I keep getting the urge to stop and switch to something like Wendler’s 5/3/1 or madcows 5x5.
How did you respond to those programs ? More generally what are the variables (exercises, RPE, rep range, number of sets etc) that gave you the best results in your previous training blocks ? If you've responded well to a program in the past, and the program is aligned with your current goals and you enjoy it, you can just run it again, and probably see good gains.

MarkKO

Re: Geoffrey Schofield’s “ravage” program

Post by MarkKO » Sat Aug 19, 2023 11:26 pm

CheekiBreekiFitness wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:32 pm
Robster wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm Has anyone ran this or looked at it?
Is this https://www.boostcamp.app/geoffrey-schofield/ravage an accurate description of the program ?
Robster wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm Would u likely see good results doing this?
This is litterally impossible to predict, unless you run the program and/or have run program that have similar variables (exercises, RPE, rep range, number of sets etc).
Robster wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm I finished Bromley’s Kong program. Enjoyed it, gained a few pounds, feel maybe a little bigger. Didnt do much for strength at all tho.
What are your current goals ? If you are interested in strength (or a mix of strength and hypertrophy) then Ravage (or Kong) don't sound like very good choices because they do not make you lift heavy weights. If you are only interested in hypertrophy its a different story.
Robster wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm The 6 days a week tho just makes me feel like im going too much and many lifts are at RPE 10.
The program gives you target RPEs. If you are overshooting your RPE (getting an RPE 10 when you were aiming for RPE 8) it means you're not selecting loads appropriately. You should select loads by performing ramping sets to your target weight until the target RPE is attained. If you always attempt to beat what you did in the previous weeks you're going to under/overshoot, because your strength on any given day can fluctuate by as much as 10%.
Robster wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 2:54 pm I keep getting the urge to stop and switch to something like Wendler’s 5/3/1 or madcows 5x5.
How did you respond to those programs ? More generally what are the variables (exercises, RPE, rep range, number of sets etc) that gave you the best results in your previous training blocks ? If you've responded well to a program in the past, and the program is aligned with your current goals and you enjoy it, you can just run it again, and probably see good gains.
Please stop being reasonable, this is the internet.

Joking aside though that's a good answer