Draft book feed back (not lifting related)

Drafts that may or may not end up as full articles.

Moderator: Chebass88

zappey1

Re: Draft book feed back (not lifting related)

Post by zappey1 » Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:10 pm

The 1st podcast interview came out! Check it out if you are into podcast. I thought it went pretty well:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/a ... 1522819874

Also, the website finally launched. It is still a little buggy though:
https://northwestmythology.squarespace.com/

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:40 am

I always see that people look at this thread but never comment! We added a bunch of merchandise to the website. I'm in the last stages of the 2nd book. All the art is done, the stories are written. Now is the tedious process of editing for a 2nd time and reworking some parts. I hope to have it done by next week (the editing) then comes about a week or 2 of formatting.

I would LOVE to hire someone both to do the editing and the formatting but the website depleted most of my reserve funds for this project. Next book (that I have already started) I would like to do that (hire for formatting and editing)

The domain we got is great: https://www.northwestmythology.com
But I wish it would pop up better in a google search. Anyone know how to make that happen other then paying google?

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:52 am

I’m guilty of reading all the posts and not commenting. I like following the story of a person who is doing something - taking a swing and seeing where ball falls. I’m pretty sure I have nothing of consequence to add, other than to say Good job!

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:51 am

augeleven wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:52 am I’m guilty of reading all the posts and not commenting. I like following the story of a person who is doing something - taking a swing and seeing where ball falls. I’m pretty sure I have nothing of consequence to add, other than to say Good job!
Hey thanks for the support. I can see people check in here often to see how things are going but no one ever comments. Sometimes I feel discouraged and a few words of support can go a long way. It is a lot to try something new. Especially with a full time job and 4 boys at home still :shock:

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:40 am

Well internet lifting Fam. I and my wife have been super busy getting North West Mythology volume 2 done in time for the Holidays. It is submitted to Amazon and should be going live any day!

That being said I also got much better at formatting and reformatted the first book. I added in some more pictures I forgot to add in addition 1 and fixed a few things that I found annoying (although I'm not sure any one else noticed)

I also got off my butt and got it formatted For Barnes and Nobel! Hopefully I can get a book signing at the local one here.
Here is the link to the Barnes and Nobel:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/north- ... 8823149853

I also reached out to 3 local bookstores and set up 2 book signings at shops that have already supported me.

Lots of exciting things coming up. I have to pay for that slick new website (it is like $20 a month)

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:06 pm

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:07 pm

I decided to give YT another shot. I recently found a website that calculates how much each video makes on a YT channel. Apparently, if you can get enough subscribers to monetize the payouts are pretty good. Plus I'm sure it will help with book sales. Here is the first video we have made to work on promotions. It has not done too bad so far. It was a decent amount of work though and still not great IMO:
https://youtu.be/7LE7l0kaXUE

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:12 pm

Also, we recently fulfilled our first merchandise order. It looks like we are going to make a negative 4.80. Apparently, they only let us charge a flat rate shipping of $10 but then charge 17 to ship. My wife is calling tomorrow but we may not be selling anything if it can not get worked out.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 7:25 am

I was recently a guest on The Steve and Crypto podcast (like a month ago) but they just released the episode! There is kind of a lot of adds but the interview itself actually turned out really good!
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1530593570

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:29 am

Trying to gain traction on YT is the worst! I thought I was off to a good start with the first video that got like 330 views in the first few days but the 2nd video has like 50 in the first few days! If any of you have any tips please let me know. I heard a good mic and a camera helps a lot but I'm not willing to invest much now considering I need 800+ subs before I will see ANY returns (other then limited advertisement for my books)

https://youtu.be/ghfR9hMtcnA

If you have any game changing suggestions please help!

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:50 am

zappey1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:12 pm Also, we recently fulfilled our first merchandise order. It looks like we are going to make a negative 4.80. Apparently, they only let us charge a flat rate shipping of $10 but then charge 17 to ship. My wife is calling tomorrow but we may not be selling anything if it can not get worked out.
WTF, that is messed up

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:08 pm

cgeorg wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:50 am
zappey1 wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:12 pm Also, we recently fulfilled our first merchandise order. It looks like we are going to make a negative 4.80. Apparently, they only let us charge a flat rate shipping of $10 but then charge 17 to ship. My wife is calling tomorrow but we may not be selling anything if it can not get worked out.
WTF, that is messed up
Right I'm not sure how we are supposed to make any money with the website charging 17.50 to ship a tumbler and a coffee mug. They did refund the 4.80 after I asked to talk with the manger. So it was a net profit of 0.

Square space does not automatically link the shipping they suggested using Esty. I don't think it will be worth it though to maybe make a 1 per sale. FML

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:48 pm

I made New YT video from a story in book 1 The channel is getting traction but sooooooooo slowly. At this rate I won't be able to monetize for a long time!
https://youtu.be/CdHFknUOlIk

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:55 pm

Finished the book signing. It went well 18 books sold in a few hours. That freaking store will still not carry the book though! Super frustrating. However, I stopped by another local bookstore that bought a few wholesale copies to carry!

That makes 4 regional stores that are carrying it. I have 2 more in mind to approach in the next couple of weeks.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:19 am

I''m getting some good traction on my newest YT video! I also am getting the books into a new tourist location that should get lots of sales.
https://youtu.be/svj2PtBlCTM
I completely sold out of 50 copies of the two books. Which is great but now I can't get anymore until after Christmas.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:46 pm

The YT channel has been banging! Over halfway to monetization in about a month.
https://www.youtube.com/@jacobzappey

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:23 am

zappey1 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:46 pm The YT channel has been banging! Over halfway to monetization in about a month.
That's awesome news, man. Keep pushing!

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:57 pm

DCR wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:23 am
zappey1 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:46 pm The YT channel has been banging! Over halfway to monetization in about a month.
That's awesome news, man. Keep pushing!
Thanks for the support. It sucks though it is so much work for free!

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:31 pm

Well guys it has been a few months ill give you all a quick update:

The good:
Book sales have crossed over 500 units!
The books are in like 8 stores locally
Barnes and Nobel recently started stocking them in stores.

The bad:
YT channel is still short from monetization and I'm pretty burned out making content for free
Eventually, I'm going to run out of local markets (this year maybe?)
Book 2 sales are lagging behind book 1. Not a ton but enough to be discouraging

I'm thinking about trying to publish a children's book so I can reach a wider market. I'm not sure if I want to work with an artist or do the art myself. I have a children's book written but honestly, I had a really good idea for one the other day I think I might pursue. I'm going to meet with an artist in a week and see what they think of the book I have written after I give it a look over this weekend.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon May 08, 2023 3:33 pm

In honor of 6000 Clicks I thought a quick update was in order:

Sold:
504 Volume 1 (first book) 119 Volume 2 = 623 total

YT channel has still been slower than I was expecting. Once the summer hits I think I'm going to start making content again based of book 2. I just hate working for free. I have also been thinking about trying to collab with the bigger YT person I used to write scripts for to see if that can get me a jump start.

I have a book signing at the local Barnes and Nobel this weekend but the percentage I make off book sales there SUCKS. I haven't released book 2 to be sold in their stores because of this. It is online or local stores. I thought the volume of sales would make up for this but it has not been much more than adding another independent store to the distribution.

I have been working on volume 3 but have been discouraged because of the book sales from volume 2 lacking behind volume 1. Honestly I thought it was a better product and thought it would sell double (or more).

I know the book sales are Okay for a self published book but I had delusions of grandeur. I have been trying to partner with local artist to do work for a smaller up front fee and take a percentage of the profits but so far none have been interested. I would love to work with an artist that has a vested interest in helping me sell more books instead of paying them and never seeing them again.

Well that's about it. If you have questions fell free to post them. I will update again when I get to 700 units sold and 7k views