Equipment: The Euro Thread

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Rory

Re: Equipment: The Euro Thread

Post by Rory » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:58 pm

I have been dithering over what multi-grip bar to buy ... In the UK / EU market you have, as usual, more limited choices than the US.

Rogue Europe are out of stock for the forseeable with the MG-3 and, looking at it, the main advantage of it in comparison to other angled multi-grip bars that you can buy from various small metal fabricator type companies seems to be that it is knurled.

I thought about various other options and in the end have taken the plunge on ordering an EliteFts UK cambered mutli-grip bar. Although I still think it looks weird as hell I have been convinced that the camber adds a useful training dimension. I train conjugate style so the ability to flip it over and simulate board presses one week, then flip it back and use the extra ROM from the camber another week is appealing. It's obviously fabricated in the UK, no knurling etc so fingers crossed the quality is decent like the US made one.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:01 am

Although not ideal, a wrap of grip tape will solve most of the problems associated with not having knurling.

Rory

Post by Rory » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:14 am

Good call... I will consider that as an option, depending on how slick the handles are.

Tomektomek

Post by Tomektomek » Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:32 am

Has anyone got any info on ATX products mainly racks,
Atm I’m considering between a rogue rml390f and a atx 830,
Was hoping that someone could give me more info on ATX equipment, they seem to be Germany’s answer to Rogue, overbuilt and quality.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:10 pm

Tomektomek wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:32 am Has anyone got any info on ATX products mainly racks,
Was hoping that someone could give me more info on ATX equipment, they seem to be Germany’s answer to Rogue, overbuilt and quality.
Hey - I’ve got an ATX power rack. They have rebranded the product lines since I purchased but I believe the ones I have is the same as the PRX-830 floor mount rack (80mm x 80mm x 3mm construction). I was between the same two racks, as well as the Legend half rack, but went with ATX. For me I liked the swing in safeties, numbered uprights and the 2x cross members at the top (at the time the RML line had a dual chin bar only).

Tomektomek

Post by Tomektomek » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:19 am

Wayne wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:10 pm
Tomektomek wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 6:32 am Has anyone got any info on ATX products mainly racks,
Hey - I’ve got an ATX power rack. They have rebranded the product lines since I purchased but I believe the ones I have is the same as the PRX-830 floor mount rack (80mm x 80mm x 3mm construction). I was between the same two racks, as well as the Legend half rack, but went with ATX. For me I liked the swing in safeties, numbered uprights and the 2x cross members at the top (at the time the RML line had a dual chin bar only).
How do you rate the quality ? Is it up there with rogue? Premium product? Most showrooms are closed so I can only go by photos, but from what I can tell, they look high quality and attention to detail is very strong

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:39 am

@wk105 uses an ATX rack too.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:04 pm

Tomektomek wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:19 am
Wayne wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:10 pm
How do you rate the quality ? Is it up there with rogue? Premium product? Most showrooms are closed so I can only go by photos, but from what I can tell, they look high quality and attention to detail is very strong
Yea I’m really happy with it. I’ve had it regular use now for about 4.5yrs. I’m not sure if they still build them at the same factory, but if you need any pictures or anything of mine I’m happy to share.

Only quality issue I had was with the monolift which didn’t fit initially, but replacements were sent out and customer service was great at handling it.

At the time I ordered I was free to pick whatever J hooks I wanted to be included with the rack so I went with sandwich style ones. That combined with the swing in safeties and numbered uprights made a compelling case against the competition, and it undercut them on price.

I’ve not got a Rogue rack to compare but do have a few other things, certainly the quality/level of issues I’ve had have similar across both manufacturers from what I can tell.

I am sure I would be as happy with the Rogue rack so you can’t really lose. Have a look at the safeties as that’s really the main functional difference.

ALSO - sorry just remembered - the space between the uprights is different, the RML is (or was) wider as the additional 2” of width over the R line racks went straight to the outter width. You would be more likely to bang the plates into the uprights. Depending on your style that may be a non issue.

Wilhelm
Little Musk Ox

Post by Wilhelm » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:49 pm

Can confirm the width of some of the Rogue stuff leads to occasional banging of the plates.

It's never be an actual functional issue for me. Never once felt dangerous.
It does make a two step walkout a little problematic, as if you step diagonally immediately, you are almost guaranteed to bang the opposite side plates.
I do a three step walkout regardless, so any bumping is light, and as i said, occasional .

Tomektomek

Post by Tomektomek » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:40 pm

Thanks for the input guys, ATX rack uses 80mm uprights so the width is actually .2 inch wider then the rogue, so banging on uprights is something I’ve been aware of.

If your happy with the quality that’s great, I just wanted something with good build quality that I would be pleased to have in my garage for the long term.

Tomektomek

Post by Tomektomek » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:40 pm

Thanks for the input guys, ATX rack uses 80mm uprights so the width is actually .2 inch wider then the rogue, so banging on uprights is something I’ve been aware of.

If your happy with the quality that’s great, I just wanted something with good build quality that I would be pleased to have in my garage for the long term.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:21 am

Tomektomek wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:40 pm Thanks for the input guys, ATX rack uses 80mm uprights so the width is actually .2 inch wider then the rogue, so banging on uprights is something I’ve been aware of.

The ATX is (or at least was) narrower than the Rogue. Despite the uprights being thicker they are closer together so outer width comes in.

Tomektomek

Post by Tomektomek » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:43 am

Wayne wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:21 am
Tomektomek wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:40 pm Thanks for the input guys, ATX rack uses 80mm uprights so the width is actually .2 inch wider then the rogue, so banging on uprights is something I’ve been aware of.

The ATX is (or at least was) narrower than the Rogue. Despite the uprights being thicker they are closer together so outer width comes in.
In that case, that would be fantastic, just waiting for the local distributor to open so I can have a look

Rory

Post by Rory » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:13 am

Two small speciality bars arrived from Strength Shop.

Zinc coated curl bar (£45). I actually wanted to buy a more premium curl bar from Rogue Europe or ATX (Just because), but stock was an issue when I was ordering so opted for this SS bar. Happy to report that it is not the worst of the worst in terms of build quality. The sleeves spin acceptably, the finish and knurling are OK, and although the hex bolt sleeve construction will eventually wreck my head this is fine for the money.

Multi Grip Thick Curl bar (£90). This is a copy of the Charles Poliquin angled dual grip that Watson makes for 2-3 times as much depending on whether you opt for rotating sleeves.

First impressions, this is actually a very nicely made shorty thick grip curl and tricep bar. Feels good for curls and overhead or lying tricep work, as you'd expect. You could undoubtedly load it up for pressing and rows but bearing in mind the length and the fact that it doesn't rack you'd be doing quite close grip work and could be awkward at heavy weights.

The dimensions of the bar mean that even though it's quite short it is boxy and you get a shorter ROM on something like a curl than you do with a regular curl bar. The thick grips are quite thick, thicker than regular fat gripz attachments on a dumbbell (I like that). I didn't expect them to be fully knurled, and it's decent knurling. Probably is stamped on, but it's decent enough that it does provide a grip.

The sleeves are non-rotating and nicely finished with a Strength Shop coloured red cap at either end.

The multi grip bar was ordered during lockdown more or less on a whim, I'm not sure it's the best use of £90 but ... Fuck it. It will instantly become a bit redundant when my Elite FTS cambered mutli grip bar arrives, as I could theoretically do many of the same movements with it. I may end up selling it on. If anyone did want one of these though, I think it represents really good value considering the cost of the Watson version.

Wayne

Post by Wayne » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:48 am

Tomektomek wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:43 am
Wayne wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:21 am

In that case, that would be fantastic, just waiting for the local distributor to open so I can have a look
I just measured mine and it’s 48” wide (outer upright to outer upright). I would check if they are still the same though to be sure. The sandwich cups add about and inch either side of space for racking.

The same goes for Rogue, so if you prefer the RML series you can get the sandwich cups to bring the racking width in a bit.

wk105

Post by wk105 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:59 am

I really like my ATX rack. High quality. Not worth paying double for a bells and whistles one that isn't actually any stronger.

HMan

Post by HMan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:53 am

I've had the heavy ATX squats stands on order since April. For squat stands they seemed pretty sturdy, and ATX and some great attachments. Roller J cups, monolift etc...

BUT they just took too long to get them in stock, and it could still be a couple of more months.

I couldn't wait any longer, and by a fluke, found the Eleiko has a new squat rack that suits my needs. Pulled to tigger last night, along with their classic adjustable bench.

A couple of features that are noteworthy, the hole spacing is 35mm, so not so tight as Westside, but I think effectively better since 35mm is close enough to fine tune, but far enough not to be confusing. The rack also has numbering.

The other thing is the J-cups look better. I personally hate those extra deep and wide J-cups that most racks come with. The Eleiko looks that it's just wide enough for the bar without a lot of slop, and also a bit narrower than the uprights.

On benches, one thing I don't like with the ATX adjustable bench options is how narrow the seat backs are. The Eleiko is a standard 30 cm wide, and other than being expensive, hits all the points I wanted in an adjustable bench.
Though tbh I don't think it's much more than Rogue's AB-2 when shipping and tax is factored in.

HMan

Post by HMan » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:53 am

Eleiko XF-80 Light Rack and Classic Adjustable Bench arrived today.

I'm very impressed with the fit and finish on both the rack and the bench. IMO this is probably the best squat rack out there right now, they just got the details right on this.
IMG_8609.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rory

Post by Rory » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:45 am

A bit of a round-up on my recent further home gym purchases...

Blk Box, a Belfast-based metal fabrication / equipment importer, restocked their version of the open hex bar, so I ordered one of those. It is en route at the moment. I'll update with thoughts once I get it, but for me the main feature I want from an open hex bar is the ability to flip it over and stand it up for easy loading, I think this is a significant labour savour. Seems like some open hex bars actually do not have this feature, which blows my mind. Price-wise the Blk Box open hex bar is about a third of the Eleiko one. I'm sure the manufacturing quality is not the same but that's a significant saving.

I received an Elite FTS UK cambered multi grip bar last week. It took about 6 weeks to arrive, as it's made to order. The build quality and welding was impressive. Very very nice piece of kit and I'm convinced that this is the best option for someone who wants an Olympic sized multi grip bar. The camber is the defining design element. If you want another cambered multi grip bar your only open is either the ATX neutral grip cambered bar or else Strength Shop's production of the same design. You're limited to two grip widths with that design, and the camber it very deep. With the Elite FTS you have a camber that's not too deep and is square off meaning you can flip the bar over and use the reduced ROM to simulate a board press if you want. The only fly in the ointment... Turns out my rack is a little narrower than I thought... It's a Pullum Pro Half Rack and I don't think of it as a narrow rack at all... Apparently looks are deceiving... I'm about 2" shy of being able to rack the bar, which is a total deal breaker for me. I listed it locally for sale (For what I paid for it) and it was sold within 30 minutes. Shows you the high demand for gear that's still out there.

I researched and it appears that the ATX American press bar would fit my rack, but most other options have too big a central box section to be rackable. I got a quote from a metal fabricator who will custom make a multi grip bar that will fit my rack, but to be honest for the moment I am just holding off.

Rory

Post by Rory » Thu Apr 13, 2023 4:37 am

Resurrecting this thread, after a long hiatus, as it still seems the best place to post this update for anyone interested in buying gear but with more a UK / EU focus.

I recently shopped for an additional barbell.

For frame of reference, my current main barbell is a Rogue Ohio Power bar with chrome sleeves black zinc shaft.

I wanted a second barbell for my work gym and decided to take a slight risk on something more "out there" / less common.

Based on an admittedly small number of YouTube and Reddit reviews, I identified a Czech based importer of gym equipment called Strong Gear (Stronggear.eu) who offer a range of olympic, power and hybrid barbells at various price points.

One particular bar they offer is stainless steel from end to end (Sleeves and shaft) and the specs are high, including (for example) 225k PSI.

https://www.stronggear.eu/en/p/olympic- ... less-steel

As the price point is actually lower than even the cheapest Rogue EU Ohio power bar (with E-coat or Zinc finish, and chrome sleeves) I contacted the company and asked how they could manage to offer the bar at that price, and what their QC process is, considering they are imported barbells.

I was advised they're not making much of a profit on those particular barbells, that people tend to buy the lower spec models, especially local buyers, and they just QC them before shipping.

Considering shipping was reasonable (65 euro approximately) and there was a 30 days refund guarantee I ordered, as I liked the idea of a bargain.

Well, it didn't quite work out like that, unfortunately....

When the barbell arrived, shipped in your standard tube, I was initially impressed with the all-stainless construction. I've never owned an all-stainless barbell and it's true that they are elegant and impressive in that the knurling feels particularly pristine. The colouration of the stainless steel was gloss but not very bright white, more of a subdued light grey.

The knurling was more passive than I was expecting for a power-bar.. It was significantly (maybe 50%) less aggressive than the Rogue Ohio Power Bar. I would put it as somewhere between a fairly passively knurled bar like the regular Rogue Ohio bars, or common gym bars, and a Rogue Ohio Power Bar. I don't mind that, but if anyone wanted a more aggressively knurled bar in particular, this might not be it.

There was some lateral play on the sleeves but nothing excessive.

There was a rattle from one sleeve which I identified as a problem with the end cap either having come lose or having not been seated properly.

Unfortunately there was an issue with the rotation of one sleeve which I didn't get to the bottom of and was egregious enough that I ended up returning the barbell for a refund. It was not spinning as I would expect even for a bushing bar, even for a power bar. There was some metal on metal sound, and as I could see the bar was extensively oiled I felt like there was an internal issue. I engaged with Strong Gear about advice on a fix, and sent a video, but in the end the barbell was returned for a full refund, which I've received. There was a bit of back-and-forth over that, which initially was probably annoying on both sides but in fairness to them they've processed the full refund.

Conclusion: I feel like buying from vendors who do imported barbells is like rolling the dice. I probably could have received a different barbell from Strong Gear that might have not had that sleeve rotation issue and I would have been 100% happy with it. But considering the headache which arises when you have to return a heavy item like a barbell then unfortunately quality control becomes so fundamental that the next barbell I buy I will probably lean towards going with a company like Rogue where I have a higher degree of confidence that far fewer lemons slip through.

There are some companies whose spec might be higher, and price points lower, but when you have a returns issue you just question what good QC is worth to you as a buyer...