MASS SHOOTING THREAD - Society has reached somekind of inflection point

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Re: MASS SHOOTING THREAD - Society has reached somekind of inflection point

Post by mikeylikey » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:16 am

gtl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:31 am I generally agree with you. But, there are sites like armslist that make it a bit easier to access a private sale. However, when I sold a gun on armslist, I did ask to see their LTCH and met in a police station parking lot. That was more for my conscience and safety.
I am PURELY speculating here, but I would wager bucks that if you started calling sellers on armslist and asking if they'll sell to you with no paperwork, you'll get 5 ATF agents before you'll get one private seller willing to do so.

gtl

Post by gtl » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:28 am

mikeylikey wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:16 am
gtl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 9:31 am I generally agree with you. But, there are sites like armslist that make it a bit easier to access a private sale. However, when I sold a gun on armslist, I did ask to see their LTCH and met in a police station parking lot. That was more for my conscience and safety.
I am PURELY speculating here, but I would wager bucks that if you started calling sellers on armslist and asking if they'll sell to you with no paperwork, you'll get 5 ATF agents before you'll get one private seller willing to do so.
But, there is no paperwork for a private seller. Are you just suggesting that the question in itself would be a red flag, and I would get reported?

mikeylikey
Rabble Rouser

Post by mikeylikey » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:43 am

gtl wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:28 am
But, there is no paperwork for a private seller. Are you just suggesting that the question in itself would be a red flag, and I would get reported?
I'm saying the question itself would be a red flag for most private sellers. Not that there aren't any, but I strongly suspect you're more likely to interact with an undercover ATF than a private seller actually willing to sell you a gun, sans ID / permit no questions asked.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:23 pm

mikeylikey wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:43 am
I'm saying the question itself would be a red flag for most private sellers. Not that there aren't any, but I strongly suspect you're more likely to interact with an undercover ATF than a private seller actually willing to sell you a gun, sans ID / permit no questions asked.
I don't know why you would think that, at all. There is no paperwork for private sales, so asking about it would be weird but it doesn't break any laws. I have had random offers to sell me a gun, by people I do not know, and I have asked for prices at yard sales and such. No one has ever asked me a single personal question or wanted so much as ID. If you have cash, it is quite easy to get a gun in the US with zero questions asked and no identity verification or other paper work in my experience.

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:41 pm

mikeylikey wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:43 am
I'm saying the question itself would be a red flag for most private sellers.
So you just wouldn't ask it, and you'd get your gun without paperwork. Right?

JonA

Post by JonA » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:56 pm

Wouldn't it be like going to a liquor store and asking if they'll sell to you without checking your id?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Tue Apr 04, 2023 7:06 pm

JonA wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:43 amMaybe. In the Palin v. New York Times case, while the jury was still deliberating., the judge ruled that the malicious standard had not been met and that he would dismiss the case, regardless of what the jury decided.
The factual basis of the two cases are very different.

--I don't know if any lessons can be learned from the Palin case as the writer of the article made an error. By definition that is not malicious intent. That became clear at trial after the writer's testimony.
--The judge in the Fox News case ruled that Fox News 'undeniably' and 'knowingly' aired false hoods. Wholly rejected Fox News' first amendment protection arguments. That Fox News knowingly aired falsehoods is a key point of fact that Dominion does not have to prove in the trial. The judge in his opinion stated he would leave it up to the jury if the malicious intent standard was met.