135 x 5
225 x 5 - pinkies on the rings starting on this set
315 x 5
405 x 3
455 x 2, 1, 1
405 x 4

Front Squats
225 x 6, 3
No sleeves again and I just couldn't keep that bar on the delts easily for the second set so I cut the reps

Leg Press
3 plates per side x 10
5 plates per side x 10
7 plates per side x 10 x 2 sets

Leg Extensions
150 x 10 both legs
150 x 3 x 2 sets each leg
150 x 10 both legs

I also messed around with the Sissy Squat machine thingie, it was interesting. The Leg Press still seems like just an ego machine, at no point was it difficult and it frankly felt like junk volume while I waited for someone to vacate the leg extension. I lost the first rep at 455 backwards on the squat and had to step back to catch myself, which resulted in a second rep with a completely different foot placement and spacing, which left me all weird on the second set. The third set I felt like I hit the rep correctly but should have had more. Oh well, next week.
I may still be not fully recovered from DL's, and ideally should have been doing upper today, whatever.

Hardartery

Re: Hardartery - Recreational Outrage

Post by Hardartery » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:29 pm

Monday 3/6/23
Strict Overhead Press
135 x 5 x 4? sets
135 x 10
This was mixed with what I believe Weightlifters refer to as complexes. I was doing Muscle Snatches and trying to practice some actual knee bend on Cleans instead of just muscling them, some Front Squats in there. Everything was stiff and sore. The knees were cranky, but they loosened up as it went along. This was far from taxing, but I was just trying to move and warm some stuff up today. I'm still not really holding the rack position correctly with a Clean grip, but I think that it's getting better. If I can continue to improve I might get back to a less embarrassing OHP one of these days. And maybe even do a real Clean.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:31 am

I also believe they are called complexes.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:10 pm

Wednesday 3/8/23
Did a carb up yesterday. It was more than I planned, but my wife was determined to take advantage and go out to eat somewhere.

Squats
135 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 3
405 x 3
455 x 2 x 2 sets
405 x 5

Front Squats
245 x 4, 3

DB Rows - one arm
100 x 10 x 2 sets

Knees are cranky, more specifically the quad tendons I believe. Feels like mild tendonitis, and I am thinking it is directly related to the introduction of Leg Press last session so those are right out. I need that hassle like I need a superfluous root canal. The regular squats were easy though, I had at least a third rep in the tank on the work sets this time and the second set was much better than the first. Front Squats were mostly about biceps cramping, I was hoping todays shirt would be enough to help hold the bar but I was wrong there. I ran out of time, and for the first time some kid had the nerve up to actually ask me questions about lifting. Gym Kid is totally fine with me even though she is 2 or 3 y/o and the size of one of my shoes but the full grown males are scared to death to talk to me.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:10 pm

Friday 3/10/23
Trained the wife, which means I cooked for a while before actually lifting in the sweatbox gym.

Incline BP
135 x 10
225 x 8
225 x 7 x 2 sets
So, pointers on rings***, I guess

DB Side Raises
65 x 10 x 3 sets
65 x 6

French Curls on plate loaded cable - V-handle
100 x 15
135 x 10 x 2 sets
80 x 25

DB Flyes - on a bench
50 x 8,7,6

*** a note about the whole what is on what ring. During the pandemic they coated all of the bares in something black, I don't know if it's paint or something else but up until now they have been black and equally flattened knurling all around. So, I really haven't paid a ton of attention to which bar is what except that I have realized in the last two weeks that the rings are not in the right place on some of these bars. Today's bar was thicker, stiffer and the rings were further apart than the other ones that I have been using. I also can now see that the other ones are also chrome under the black that is gradually chipping off. So I have in the past said pinkies on the rings, but the rings are not in the right place. For the record, I can back squat with pinkies on the rings of any of the bars now which is fully a difference of my hand width on each side comparing one bar to the other.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:13 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:10 pm Friday 3/10/23
Trained the wife, which means I cooked for a while before actually lifting in the sweatbox gym.

Incline BP
135 x 10
225 x 8
225 x 7 x 2 sets
So, pointers on rings***, I guess

DB Side Raises
65 x 10 x 3 sets
65 x 6

French Curls on plate loaded cable - V-handle
100 x 15
135 x 10 x 2 sets
80 x 25

DB Flyes - on a bench
50 x 8,7,6

*** a note about the whole what is on what ring. During the pandemic they coated all of the bares in something black, I don't know if it's paint or something else but up until now they have been black and equally flattened knurling all around. So, I really haven't paid a ton of attention to which bar is what except that I have realized in the last two weeks that the rings are not in the right place on some of these bars. Today's bar was thicker, stiffer and the rings were further apart than the other ones that I have been using. I also can now see that the other ones are also chrome under the black that is gradually chipping off. So I have in the past said pinkies on the rings, but the rings are not in the right place. For the record, I can back squat with pinkies on the rings of any of the bars now which is fully a difference of my hand width on each side comparing one bar to the other.
Sounds like they have a mix of power bars and WL or combination bars.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:34 am

MarkKO wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:13 pm
Hardartery wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:10 pm Friday 3/10/23

Sounds like they have a mix of power bars and WL or combination bars.
They have a mix of something, that's for sure. I know none of it is deliberate, but I damnit it's annoying that I didn't notice it earlier.

On that point of being a moron, I had another epiphany of the glaringly obvious. I had it in my head that pulling from 4" blocks was one inch lower than the spec for the Static Monsters pull. Wonderful, so that would mean my newer 3" blocks are only a slightly greater ROM. So, I SHOULD know that standard DL height is 8", therefore I should expect a 4" block to make that pull more or less 12". The Static Monsters site (I just double checked) designated that the bottom of the Axle shall be 42.5 cm from the ground. That is 16.75 inches. That is a different planet than 12", or 11" as it is from the 3" blocks. It therefore strikes me that I have absolutely no idea what I can pull from that height. Time to figure out a setup to test that.
Here is my background research: when I competed I worked sets of 500 lbs on DL and never really bothered with anything else because that was the applicable weight at the time and I was much more concerned with getting reps than getting something heavier in competition. I pulled 500 for reps in a contest and could absolutely have broken 26 reps, just not in 75 seconds. I pulled "More than 800 lbs" for 11 on a car DL, which is from 18". I am actually using heavier DL weight for reps in training right now than I did then, in spite of being an old fart. This has injected a lot of sudden enthusiasm into my lifting - because I am retarded I may actually be way closer to my current goal than I thought I was.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:41 pm

Well, that works out nicely. Or hopefully will, anyway.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:49 am

Saturday 3/18/23

Incline Bench
135 x 10
225 x 8
245 x 5, 4, 6

DB Lateral Raises
65 x 8 x 3 sets
65 x 8

DB Flyes
65 x 4 x 3 sets

French Press - Cable machine, plate loaded rope extension
110 x 15, 10, 10, 10

DB Hammer Curls
50 x 10
65 x 8
90 x 4

Busy week. I was gone by 7 AM and not home before 7 PM. I was in direct sun all day every day, so I just didn't have it in me to lift at night I was just trying to rehydrate enough to pee before I went to bed. I'm glad I don't have this kind of week very often anymore, but it did knock several pounds off of me in addition to the water loss. I have to move my entire home setup somewhere this weekend, landlord here is getting a bunch of work done. It's pointless and the idiots he usually hires will make a mess of it, on top of probably stealing something. There isn't really anywhere else for me to set things up, so probably everything will be stacked up and hidden under a tarp in a corner somewhere. Some prick stole the 4WD selector off my hub on the driver's side of my truck again, so I am getting cages made because I am tired of replacing them. And I am feeling generally homicidal towards much of the local populace this week so I need to do something to prevent me continuing to have fuel for those feelings.

***edited to add French Press, forgot about them. Someone was doing Push Downs and I just used his setup and weight to crank some tricep volume
Last edited by Hardartery on Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:17 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:49 am Saturday 3/18/23

Incline Bench
135 x 10
225 x 8
245 x 5, 4, 6

DB Lateral Raises
65 x 8 x 3 sets
65 x 8

DB Flyes
65 x 4 x 3 sets

DB Hammer Curls
50 x 10
65 x 8
90 x 4

Busy week. I was gone by 7 AM and not home before 7 PM. I was in direct sun all day every day, so I just didn't have it in me to lift at night I was just trying to rehydrate enough to pee before I went to bed. I'm glad I don't have this kind of week very often anymore, but it did knock several pounds off of me in addition to the water loss. I have to move my entire home setup somewhere this weekend, landlord here is getting a bunch of work done. It's pointless and the idiots he usually hires will make a mess of it, on top of probably stealing something. There isn't really anywhere else for me to set things up, so probably everything will be stacked up and hidden under a tarp in a corner somewhere. Some prick stole the 4WD selector off my hub on the driver's side of my truck again, so I am getting cages made because I am tired of replacing them. And I am feeling generally homicidal towards much of the local populace this week so I need to do something to prevent me continuing to have fuel for those feelings.
Dunno what to say, other than that I'm sending good vibes your way. Hopefully the situation improves towards something that resembles more than cathartic lifting.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 pm

Incline Bench
135 x 10
225 x 8
245 x 5, 4, 6

DB Lateral Raises
65 x 8 x 3 sets
65 x 8

DB Flyes
65 x 4 x 3 sets

110 x 15, 10, 10, 10

DB Hammer Curls
50 x 10
65 x 8
90 x 4

***edited to add French Press, forgot about them. Someone was doing Push Downs and I just used his setup and weight to crank some tricep volume
Hopefully your kidneys don't punish you too much. Geez, that sounds unpleasant.

Also hopefully at least nothing gets stolen, although ideally both the work is done properly AND nothing gets stolen.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:03 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 pm

Incline Bench
135 x 10
225 x 8
245 x 5, 4, 6

DB Lateral Raises
65 x 8 x 3 sets
65 x 8

DB Flyes
65 x 4 x 3 sets

110 x 15, 10, 10, 10

DB Hammer Curls
50 x 10
65 x 8
90 x 4

Also hopefully at least nothing gets stolen, although ideally both the work is done properly AND nothing gets stolen.
A friend is welding up the cages for me, based on the design of the cages on another friends truck. I sent him pics and he is picking up the materials. I'll go over to his place and we'll knock it out in an afternoon easily. I bought a replacement hub, which isn't exactly what it is. It's really a dust cover that allows you to select manual or automatic 4x4 engagement by the hub. It is clearly someone sneaking up during the night and stealing it so it will likely happen again if I don't do something. I am considering a couple of security cameras for out front, which is usually enough of a deterrent here/Crime is generally not serious or violent, it is just opportunity. I bought two more for $150 on Ebay, they run $1000 each here and take 3 months to arrive. I am flying into the US in a few weeks so I will have it faster than I could get it otherwise. But I am still pissed off and it's probably best that I don't find out who the thief is, I'd be likely to lose my temper and pound the little bastard.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:50 pm

Hardartery wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:03 pm
MarkKO wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:51 pm

Incline Bench
135 x 10
225 x 8
245 x 5, 4, 6

DB Lateral Raises
65 x 8 x 3 sets
65 x 8

DB Flyes
65 x 4 x 3 sets

110 x 15, 10, 10, 10

DB Hammer Curls
50 x 10
65 x 8
90 x 4

A friend is welding up the cages for me, based on the design of the cages on another friends truck. I sent him pics and he is picking up the materials. I'll go over to his place and we'll knock it out in an afternoon easily. I bought a replacement hub, which isn't exactly what it is. It's really a dust cover that allows you to select manual or automatic 4x4 engagement by the hub. It is clearly someone sneaking up during the night and stealing it so it will likely happen again if I don't do something. I am considering a couple of security cameras for out front, which is usually enough of a deterrent here/Crime is generally not serious or violent, it is just opportunity. I bought two more for $150 on Ebay, they run $1000 each here and take 3 months to arrive. I am flying into the US in a few weeks so I will have it faster than I could get it otherwise. But I am still pissed off and it's probably best that I don't find out who the thief is, I'd be likely to lose my temper and pound the little bastard.
Good solution then.

Also, a wise decision to exercise restraint.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:06 am

Sunday 3/19/23
DL- conventional
225 x 5 - DOH
315 x 3
405 x 3
455 x 3 not quite locked out, 2 good with mixed grip
545 x 4, 3 - straps

Pulls from Jack Stands
635 x 1
725 x miss x 2

Disappointed in how it went. I had more on both sets of 545, it was tricky setting the bar down gently onto the jack stands and they were pretty sketchy to lift from to be honest. 635 was slow to start but hit the afterburners once it moved, 725 just didn't move really. It was probably a mistake to use the jack stands, I should have just done another set of normal DL and then done some Dimels like last time. However, I had to move everything to the back unit of the property for now because the landlord is having annoying and pointless work done out front, so I did 7 sets of plate carry with a 45 in each hand after lifting/ That REALLY blew up my forearms and hands, I was nervous I might drop a plate on the last two carries.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:06 pm

Tuesday 3/21/23
Another crap training session. I think maybe the deficit is getting me, i know I am getting leaner. Maybe just an off week.
Squats
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 3
455 x 1 x 2 sets
425 x 2
405 x 3

Front Squats
245 x 4, 3

Seated Row - weight is the plates loaded, I don't know what the apparatus weighs
170 x 10
260 x 7 x 3 sets

Quad tendons are still bitching and were argumentative about squatting. It just felt heavy today, pretty disappointed in the reps. Plus side, the glutes seem finally to be fine - too bad they didn't help me squat better. I have in mind an exercise at the cable thingy, but I didn't have anything that would work for my to do it at the gym so I am going to have to improvise a little next time. Oh well. At least my shoulders feel better and I feel like my press is on the way up for a change.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:07 pm

Friday 3/24/23
Incline Bench
135 x 10
225 x 7
245 x 5
255 x 5 x 2 sets
245 x 5

DB Lateral Raises
65 x 11 x 3 sets
65 x 6
reps 10 and 11 were a little sketchy on sets 2 and 3

DB Flyes - on a bench
65 x 5
65 x 2? - dunno, felt a small pop on rep 2 or 3 and stopped immediately. Left elbow, thumb side of arm. No bruising or loss of ROM, but a definite small pop.

French Press - cable stack with rope attachment
100 x 15
140 x 10, 7, 12, 8, 6, 10

DB Cross Body Curl - palms up
50 x 7 x 3 sets

The curls were 100% to pump blood through the biceps, left in particular, trying to target whatever the pop was to flush blood through it but not go heavy enough to risk injury. The reps were dictated by when I felt the left biceps go weird, like the pump was tweaking something and it was starting to cramp. This was not in any way approaching any kind of failure or anything. I will dial back the flyes to high reps with 50's for a bit if everything is okay. I didn't want to risk injury and hold myself up training.

A note regarding exercise selection. I am doing incline BP very specifically to advance Log Press. I don't have access to a log right now, but this has more direct carryover than flat bench. They were a little weird today, I didn't realize that there were literally no rings on the bar until it had 225 on it. Weird damn bars, they all have center knurl but they have varying ring locations and apparently no rings at all sometimes.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:43 pm

Would it be worth taking a tape measure and some masking tape to set out temporary rings?

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:36 pm

MarkKO wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:43 pm Would it be worth taking a tape measure and some masking tape to set out temporary rings?
I considered taking a bottle of nail polish with me in the future. Probably I will just start paying more attention and change bars. I had to use the flashlight on my phone to see if the rings were there or not, it's pretty dark where that bench is in the little sweatbox. And it was friggin' hot today, I usually try to convince myself I'm getting a free sauna while lifting. April and May are the hottest months here so the daily temp is starting to ramp up.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:11 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:36 pm
MarkKO wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:43 pm Would it be worth taking a tape measure and some masking tape to set out temporary rings?
I considered taking a bottle of nail polish with me in the future. Probably I will just start paying more attention and change bars. I had to use the flashlight on my phone to see if the rings were there or not, it's pretty dark where that bench is in the little sweatbox. And it was friggin' hot today, I usually try to convince myself I'm getting a free sauna while lifting. April and May are the hottest months here so the daily temp is starting to ramp up.
That would work nicely. Maybe a fluorescent one because of the lighting.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:45 pm

Monday 3/27/23
Muscle Snatch
135 x 3 x 2 sets

Muscle Snatch to Strict Press Away
135 x 3
155 x 3
175 x 3
185 x 3

Muscle Clean to Strict Press Away
205 x 3 x 2 sets
185 x 5

Felt good, there is definitely something tight and pulling in the left biceps, the same place I felt the pop on Flyes. I think it'll be okay as long as I baby it for a bit. In my old age I have learned to drop my hips lower on the pull, it really makes a huge difference. I may experiment with trying that on DL as well, right now I have a distinctly different form for one versus the other but maybe I would pull more if I drop my hips a little - I know that would be the correct move if I ever want to take advantage of the DL Suit that I bought.
Over all, it was snappy, from which I am deducing that my fatigue is okay right now going into this week. I hope I'm not wrong there.