Wait times too short?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

CheekiBreekiFitness

Re: Wait times too short?

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:27 am

If you're not resting 10 minutes on cable external rotations you're NDTFP.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:46 am

mbasic wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:11 am Curious, did you use different rest periods for say squats and bench?

Say the scenario where a die hard SS fan is resting 7 minutes for all lifts between all sets for all workouts ... and the comes to the realization his does not want to keep doing this.

He reduces to 2 min 30 sec .... well that might be ok for bench and curls. But that might not work so well for squats and deads.

I think you have to cut the bigger muscles a break to a larger degree than the smaller ones.

Lol at a fucktard resting 5-8 minutes on curls.
I was able to get to the point where bench/press I could keep it to 2 minutes if the RPE was 8 or less, with very little drop off in set quality. Squats though still demand 5 minutes or more out of me at that level of intensity, and even then the drop off in set quality is pretty big. And this is when working with weights that aren't even much heavier than the weights I use on the bench.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:15 am

CaptainAwesome wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:46 amI was able to get to the point where bench/press I could keep it to 2 minutes if the RPE was 8 or less, with very little drop off in set quality. Squats though still demand 5 minutes or more out of me at that level of intensity, and even then the drop off in set quality is pretty big. And this is when working with weights that aren't even much heavier than the weights I use on the bench.
You're definitely not alone. Squat sets of 3+ reps drain me like nothing else, even in the 60-70% range. I had a similar experience with deadlift at one point but found that I was able to adapt within a couple of weeks and do 8+ rep sets at a relatively high intensity with shorter rest periods. I've tried the same with squats and even after multiple months of pushing out of my comfort there was virtually no improvement.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:08 pm

Clearwater47 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:15 am You're definitely not alone. Squat sets of 3+ reps drain me like nothing else, even in the 60-70% range. I had a similar experience with deadlift at one point but found that I was able to adapt within a couple of weeks and do 8+ rep sets at a relatively high intensity with shorter rest periods. I've tried the same with squats and even after multiple months of pushing out of my comfort there was virtually no improvement.
It sucks, it makes me hate the squat and hate doing squat workouts. I hate having to take these long ass rests. Just out of curiosity, are you on the taller side with longer legs (particularly femurs) and a shorter torso?

Bliss

Post by Bliss » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:29 pm

asdf wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:06 pm
Bliss wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:02 am give the E "X" MOM approach a go.
For recording workouts, I find this notation works better:

OT 4:00

Especially since I use a lot of fractional intervals, like OT 1:15.

/nitpick
Nitpick accepted! And agreed with.

It's why I also just record it as a note "EMOM 2.30", or "EMOM 3", and just change the number when needed.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:51 pm

CaptainAwesome wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:08 pm
Clearwater47 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:15 am You're definitely not alone. Squat sets of 3+ reps drain me like nothing else, even in the 60-70% range. I had a similar experience with deadlift at one point but found that I was able to adapt within a couple of weeks and do 8+ rep sets at a relatively high intensity with shorter rest periods. I've tried the same with squats and even after multiple months of pushing out of my comfort there was virtually no improvement.
It sucks, it makes me hate the squat and hate doing squat workouts. I hate having to take these long ass rests. Just out of curiosity, are you on the taller side with longer legs (particularly femurs) and a shorter torso?
I'm not tall by any stretch of the imagination - about 5 foot 6. I've never measured my limb lengths, but my proportions seem to be not very good for the squat. And yes, I tend to dread squats as well.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:12 pm

Suggestion: If you hate squatting, and especially hate what's required for you to get through a squat session in terms of rest periods, stop doing multiple sets across, either at the top or as backoffs. (I absolutely loathe the "1@8 and 4-5 back off sets at 70% or so" that's become so popular. I'm not saying that it doesn't work. I'm saying that I, personally, find it terribly fucking unenjoyable.)

You can do quite well just working up to one, all out balls deep set, perhaps followed by one slightly heavier low rep "practice" set that's nowhere near failure. Or if the balls deep set murders you and you get the number you wanted, just leave it there. Or reverse the preceding and work up to a good single (1@8 sigh...) and then hit one back off vomit set at a lighter weight for higher reps. Depending on how hard you're willing to smash yourself, you can manipulate frequency to get adequate rest.

Check out my log if you like. I've been doing one hard to very hard set, perhaps with one more practice set, three or so times a week for the past two or so months. My only goal has been to add weight when I can get one set of 10 reps. The results (relatively to my ability) have been phenomenal. Like everything else, this won't work forever, but it can always be tweaked. No need to suddenly jettison it for 6x6 or some other awful shit.

asdf

Post by asdf » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:07 pm

Bliss wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 2:29 pm Nitpick accepted! And agreed with.

It's why I also just record it as a note "EMOM 2.30", or "EMOM 3", and just change the number when needed.
I think it was Greg Everett who inspired my notation. He had a brief rant about EMOM on his site. I think he believed that the EMOM acronym was an unnecessary CrossFit invention, since the initialization OTM ("on the minute") had been around forever. Because my intervals aren't always 1 minute, I started writing OT M:SS. It's so ingrained that, I don't even write OTM anymore, but rather OT 1:00. So clear and easy to read.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:33 pm

DCR wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:12 pm Suggestion: If you hate squatting, and especially hate what's required for you to get through a squat session in terms of rest periods, stop doing multiple sets across, either at the top or as backoffs. (I absolutely loathe the "1@8 and 4-5 back off sets at 70% or so" that's become so popular. I'm not saying that it doesn't work. I'm saying that I, personally, find it terribly fucking unenjoyable.)

You can do quite well just working up to one, all out balls deep set, perhaps followed by one slightly heavier low rep "practice" set that's nowhere near failure. Or if the balls deep set murders you and you get the number you wanted, just leave it there. Or reverse the preceding and work up to a good single (1@8 sigh...) and then hit one back off vomit set at a lighter weight for higher reps. Depending on how hard you're willing to smash yourself, you can manipulate frequency to get adequate rest.

Check out my log if you like. I've been doing one hard to very hard set, perhaps with one more practice set, three or so times a week for the past two or so months. My only goal has been to add weight when I can get one set of 10 reps. The results (relatively to my ability) have been phenomenal. Like everything else, this won't work forever, but it can always be tweaked. No need to suddenly jettison it for 6x6 or some other awful shit.
I'd actually been thinking of maybe at some point treating my low bar squats with the same low volume approach I find works best for deadlifts with me. Let any additional volume come from assistance exercises that don't wreck me. I know when I tried a 4 day texas method approach, the volume squatting barely budged but the intensity squatting got really far, despite me feeling leftover fatigue from the volume squatting going into those sessions.

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:37 pm

CaptainAwesome wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:33 pm
DCR wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:12 pm Suggestion: If you hate squatting, and especially hate what's required for you to get through a squat session in terms of rest periods, stop doing multiple sets across, either at the top or as backoffs. (I absolutely loathe the "1@8 and 4-5 back off sets at 70% or so" that's become so popular. I'm not saying that it doesn't work. I'm saying that I, personally, find it terribly fucking unenjoyable.)

I'd actually been thinking of maybe at some point treating my low bar squats with the same low volume approach I find works best for deadlifts with me. Let any additional volume come from assistance exercises that don't wreck me. I know when I tried a 4 day texas method approach, the volume squatting barely budged but the intensity squatting got really far, despite me feeling leftover fatigue from the volume squatting going into those sessions.
There you go. Don’t fight it.

timelinex

Post by timelinex » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:12 pm

DCR wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:12 pm
Suggestion: If you hate squatting, and especially hate what's required for you to get through a squat session in terms of rest periods, stop doing multiple sets across, either at the top or as backoffs. (I absolutely loathe the "1@8 and 4-5 back off sets at 70% or so" that's become so popular. I'm not saying that it doesn't work. I'm saying that I, personally, find it terribly fucking unenjoyable.)

I've started doing something sorta similar with my deadlifts. Ive got a decently strong DL but with my flexibility and build im just not really built for it. But i love looking back at a heavy a** bar and knowing i lifted it.

When I used to do BBM-ish type routines, I would treat deadlifts the same as everything else, volume wise. I'm not saying I didn't get stronger....but my lower back was always so fatigued and i was always one "I picked up this pencil wrong" away from a pulled back.

I just started a routine where I programmed working up to a top single 1@8+ deadlift and that's it. Then I go straight to 3-4 sets of trap bar deadlifts.

I'll see how it goes.