quick lil' vid on OHP technique

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

Hardartery

Re: quick lil' vid on OHP technique

Post by Hardartery » Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:52 pm

atsm wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:45 am I have this video of a 160kg clean and front squats:

https://streamable.com/ozke4o

Here's some presses yesterday (99x3, bw 96)

https://streamable.com/cz9unn

I don't think you understand the double layback or clean, otherwise you wouldn't be writing the things that you are. I don't follow strongman, but I've never seen one of those guys do a double layback so I don't see the relevance. I think they're allowed to push press anyway.
I've been gone all day, so I just got back and gave those a watch. And my opinion is not even slightly changed. The "Double layback" is literally me with zero technique of any kind. I've done it, naturally, because my knees don't like to unlock under heavy presses. It is not even close to the skill needed for a good Clean, which I still don't do at 50. And no one would do a double layback in competition normally because it would be a stupid and counterproductive movement, you do a double knee bend if the Push Press won't get it. The reason you don't see guys Jerking the weight is that it is less effective most of the time on anything but a single rep with a bar. If you need multiple reps, Jerking wastes too much time and consumes too much energy, and on most implements it just doesn't work well. The only reason to ever do the "Double layback" would be on Viking Press if there is a no double knee bend rule in effect (The Svend Karlsen Rule if you need the history).

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:12 am

dw wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:21 pm DB lateral raises FTW.
+1

SSJBartSimpson

Post by SSJBartSimpson » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:15 pm

Wait, so what is the reasoning to not do the Press 2.0? (Which as far as I can tell is just the Olympic press / Press 3.0 without cheating).
The distinction would be as useful to me as doing paused bench vs TnG bench. If you're not interested in competition, you're life's not going to be impacted in any way by which one you chose to do, it's going to be better in general because you're resistance training.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:58 pm

SSJBartSimpson wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:15 pm Wait, so what is the reasoning to not do the Press 2.0? (Which as far as I can tell is just the Olympic press / Press 3.0 without cheating).
The distinction would be as useful to me as doing paused bench vs TnG bench. If you're not interested in competition, you're life's not going to be impacted in any way by which one you chose to do, it's going to be better in general because you're resistance training.
Based on the couple of semi-retarded videos I have seen posted by Mein Campf et al, the reasoning would be that it's a stupid and invented form. It seems designed to be a Push Press while hiding the fact that it is a PP. Do a strict press, or do a push press. If you
re not interested in competition then practicing a thing designed specifically to conform to the half-baked rules of an SS based comp is really just pointless.

SSJBartSimpson

Post by SSJBartSimpson » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:20 pm

Hardartery wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:58 pm
SSJBartSimpson wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:15 pm Wait, so what is the reasoning to not do the Press 2.0? (Which as far as I can tell is just the Olympic press / Press 3.0 without cheating).
Based on the couple of semi-retarded videos I have seen posted by Mein Campf et al, the reasoning would be that it's a stupid and invented form. It seems designed to be a Push Press while hiding the fact that it is a PP. Do a strict press, or do a push press. If you
re not interested in competition then practicing a thing designed specifically to conform to the half-baked rules of an SS based comp is really just pointless.
That's pretty funny, but I really don't think it makes any difference which of the three you choose. I like the olympic press (just with hip drive, I agree Press 2.0 is just Rip taking credit for it) because I can get a few extra pounds on my OHP and that's pretty cool.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:55 am

SSJBartSimpson wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:20 pm That's pretty funny, but I really don't think it makes any difference which of the three you choose. I like the olympic press (just with hip drive, I agree Press 2.0 is just Rip taking credit for it) because I can get a few extra pounds on my OHP and that's pretty cool.
Honestly I don't know why people have such strong feelings about this thing at all. If you don't like it for your needs or compete in something that uses a different kind of press, then just leave it. If you like it or are into strengthlifting, then go ahead and use it. This seems like a feud about as foolish as high bar vs low bar squatting.

SSJBartSimpson

Post by SSJBartSimpson » Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:33 am

CaptainAwesome wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:55 am Honestly I don't know why people have such strong feelings about this thing at all. If you don't like it for your needs or compete in something that uses a different kind of press, then just leave it. If you like it or are into strengthlifting, then go ahead and use it. This seems like a feud about as foolish as high bar vs low bar squatting.
Exactly what I was thinking. That or conventional vs trap bar. :D

asdf

Post by asdf » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:20 pm

mbasic wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:52 am I'm 51, 220#, fat, I can STRICT press 230#x1 after an easily elbows-down power clean (to enable the strict press)
Impressive!

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:55 pm

CaptainAwesome wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:55 am
SSJBartSimpson wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:20 pm That's pretty funny, but I really don't think it makes any difference which of the three you choose. I like the olympic press (just with hip drive, I agree Press 2.0 is just Rip taking credit for it) because I can get a few extra pounds on my OHP and that's pretty cool.
Honestly I don't know why people have such strong feelings about this thing at all. If you don't like it for your needs or compete in something that uses a different kind of press, then just leave it. If you like it or are into strengthlifting, then go ahead and use it. This seems like a feud about as foolish as high bar vs low bar squatting.
It only matters if a person thinks that they are somehow achieving something with the gimmick variation. That and the term has no meaning outside of the SS world. It's literally not a real recognized anything and really doesn't warrant the legitimacy of using the term as a real thing.

CaptainAwesome

Post by CaptainAwesome » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:45 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:55 pm It only matters if a person thinks that they are somehow achieving something with the gimmick variation. That and the term has no meaning outside of the SS world. It's literally not a real recognized anything and really doesn't warrant the legitimacy of using the term as a real thing.
No one cares about any of this stuff outside of this world. And I'd say anyone getting 200+ pounds up to lockout with any variation of press is achieving something, most people cannot and will not ever do that. It's extremely rare in most gyms to even see someone who can handle 135.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:17 am

CaptainAwesome wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:45 pm
Hardartery wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:55 pm It only matters if a person thinks that they are somehow achieving something with the gimmick variation. That and the term has no meaning outside of the SS world. It's literally not a real recognized anything and really doesn't warrant the legitimacy of using the term as a real thing.
No one cares about any of this stuff outside of this world.
nah, that's why you see so much hate "in the comments section".
Even people who are "mildy" into fitness culture and/or just scratching the surface of weight-training see why that's fucked up.

Its like 200# guy bench pressing their 225 max with their ass 12" off the bench.
OR, 1/4 squatting 5 plates, and then go on to say "my squat max is 500 pounds".
It the equivalent of measuring ones own dick starting from the asshole.
...or kipping pullups vs a PULLUP.

High bar vs lowbar? I don't care (nor should anyone else)
Sumo vs conventional? I don't care ( " " " ")
Paused PL bench w/ big arch, wraps, etc vs strict TnG bench? I don't care ( " " " " )