Stronger By Science - MacroFactor App

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

Allentown
Likes Beer

Re: Stronger By Science - MacroFactor App

Post by Allentown » Thu May 05, 2022 7:46 am

JohnHelton wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 9:55 am The app works great for cutting. It works great for bulking too if one has the ability to stay compliant 7 days per week...even though he has awoken the bear. I don't have that control, always blowing through my calories on Friday and Saturday. So here is my solution. Sunday - Thursday I treat myself like I'm on a cut, following the app calorie prescription closely. On Friday and Saturday, I tell the app about the food that is in compliance, and I don't tell it about my indulgences. As such, over time the app will reduce my expenditure number such that the calories that I have available Sunday - Thursday are less, compensating for my binges. I could potentially accomplish the same by just entering nothing on Friday and Saturday. We'll see if this works. Nothing else I've tried has controlled how quickly I bulk.
Can you not increase calories on those days and it cuts the calories the rest of the days? That's a feature on Carbon but I haven't really tried digging into it, just trying to stay compliant every day.

James

Post by James » Thu May 05, 2022 8:07 am

It does in collaborative mode. If you go to either Edit in Macro Program, change Goal Rate or after a check in it'll take you to Build Program menu where you can make a day whatever calorie goal you want and it'll adjust the other days accordingly unless you locked one.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu May 05, 2022 8:49 am

There is a collaborative mode that let's you specify the allocation of calories across the week. That would work great for me if I could specify check-ins on Friday morning. I could then blow the weekend and subsequently make adjustments to the calories for the rest of the week. However, MF has check-ins on Monday. Thus, there is no time left in the week to compensate for having blown the weekend.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Thu May 05, 2022 9:47 am

Or just plan on having more calories on the weekend?

gnuckols

Post by gnuckols » Mon May 09, 2022 8:42 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:49 am There is a collaborative mode that let's you specify the allocation of calories across the week. That would work great for me if I could specify check-ins on Friday morning. I could then blow the weekend and subsequently make adjustments to the calories for the rest of the week. However, MF has check-ins on Monday. Thus, there is no time left in the week to compensate for having blown the weekend.
You can just create a new program on Friday. That functions the same way a check-in does. Then just skip the Monday check-in, and repeat the process next Friday.

Though, letting people specify their own check-in day is definitely in the plans.

James

Post by James » Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:55 am

It's been six months. Dropped 50lbs. Shit works at making logging easier.

Throwing another $50 at Greg.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:43 pm

That's awesome!

dcw

Post by dcw » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:49 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to come out of account dormancy to give two thumbs up for this app. I wrote a small review on the Facebook group. Eight weeks in. Lost 10-12lb while calories went up. Nice.

I’m sold on this app. Looking forward to using it long term.

Edit: link is probably private. I don’t Facebook very well.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:30 am

dcw wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:49 pm I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to come out of account dormancy to give two thumbs up for this app. I wrote a small review on the Facebook group. Eight weeks in. Lost 10-12lb while calories went up. Nice.

Congratulations, Dexter. I find the app to be really great as well. Out of curiosity, can you add a picture of your expenditure graph?

dcw

Post by dcw » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:10 am

JohnHelton wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:30 am
dcw wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:49 pm I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to come out of account dormancy to give two thumbs up for this app. I wrote a small review on the Facebook group. Eight weeks in. Lost 10-12lb while calories went up. Nice.

Congratulations, Dexter. I find the app to be really great as well. Out of curiosity, can you add a picture of your expenditure graph?
Thanks, John.

I’ll send a screenshot to your IG. I can’t remember to to embed a picture from my phone on here. Lol

Cleverusername

Post by Cleverusername » Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:02 pm

I’ve been using the app for about three weeks now. It’s my first go around at counting macros. I always put off counting macros because I thought it would be a giant PITA. The app makes it pretty simple.

I’ve got it set to lose ~.75 lbs a week and I feel like I’m eating more than I usually would on a cut and losing faster than typical. I’m excited to complete my cut and try an actual slow bulk.

rjharris

Post by rjharris » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:30 am

+1 to everyone bragging on MF. I've been using it since early Jan to drop some weight, and it is *substantially* better than my old system of a dozen google sheets and eating the same thing over and over. the barcode scanner alone is worth the money tbh. so far, i'm down ~15 lbs in scale weight, probably 8-10 in actual fat mass, and i'm much less miserable than i was during my last cut because i can see the progress in trend weight and can avoid falling into the ("plateau for a few days" -> "cut calories by 100" -> "maybe lose for a couple days then stall again") cycle.