Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

A place to track your progress, or lack thereof

Moderator: Chebass88

MarkKO

Re: Tip Toeing in my Vibrams

Post by MarkKO » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:17 pm

Renascent wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:11 pm (2.7.2023)
Barbell Hang Rows
225 x 12 x 2 (Pronated)
225 x 12 x 2 (Supinated)
265 x 6 x 2 (Pronated)
265 x 6 x 2 (Supinated)

Weighted Neck Curls
35 x 30 x 2
40 x 20 x 2

Some Motherfucking Landmine T-Bar Rows
200 x 10 x 8

Straight-Arm Pulldowns
95 x 10 x 6

Kneeling Single-Arm Iliac Pulldown
60 x 12 x 4

Seated Dumbbell Reverse Flyes
25 x 12 x 4

Almost said "fuck it" to everything after the neck curls; I was falling asleep during the kid's martial arts class. Good ol' coffee extended the evening, though probably to my own detriment.

If I manage to get up early and press before work, I won't expect to do anything beyond decent. Maybe just sets across -- not yet sure.

Ultimately, I'd like to get enough sleep tomorrow night, and see if I can cram in a respectable squat session on Thursday. That would leave Friday for deadlifts, and Saturday to get some other shit done.

May jump back on the regular schedule next week, all other things permitting. I'm just trying not to have a week-long gap between each respective main lift; so far, that's been acceptable for maintenance, but seemingly less so for progress. I've considered playing around with some sort of floating six-day schedule, but I can't commit.

Izzy Narvaez responded to someone's question about optimal frequency with a mindset that runs similar to my own; the body doesn't know of "days" beyond a circadian rhythm. A week is solely a man-made construct, so it's not like your triceps "know" it's been five or ten or however-many days since the last bench session. You're either rested or you're not.

I may be past the point where I should consider more flexibility in my "training" schedule. At some point I'll have to make a conscious decision, though. I'm just not sure where the impetus lies.
I was going to say something and then when writing it realised it was stupid.

Yes, flexibility would probably be a good idea but you need to know how long recovery takes. For instance, I can't squat and then deadlift (or vice versa) without at least two days in between. Same for any kind of pressing work.

So you can be as flexible as you like in terms of schedule just so long as your only flexible within the bounds of your recovery.

ChasingCurls69

Post by ChasingCurls69 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:48 pm

Holy shit that's a strong press

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:18 pm

Hardartery wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:42 pmThe sooner you throw in a little flexibility stuff the better, speaking purely from the lazy man's perspective. It's easier to keep it than get it back, you really don't have to do much to keep it. As for what day it is, tri's and bi's are in the same leaugue as abs, you can beat the hell out of them and be ready to go again for certain by the time 48 hours have passed, depending on what you are doing you can hit them multiple days in a row and not suffer ill effects. You know when you are lifting if they are actually recovered by what you can do and what you cannot. And everyone is of course a little different. some guys can do a heavy day and then a lighter day and then take a day off before getting after them again and it works great, some guys are every other day max.
I was mainly referring to flexibility in the context of how my lifting schedule is arranged, though some actual flexibility training wouldn't be a bad idea if I could make the time for it.

There's a lot of other facets of "fitness" I'd like to explore someday (like mace training), if I could make or find the time.

Or if suddenly there's an earnest movement to modify the American work week to resemble whatever it is that the French enjoy.
MarkKO wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:17 pmI was going to say something and then when writing it realised it was stupid.

Yes, flexibility would probably be a good idea but you need to know how long recovery takes. For instance, I can't squat and then deadlift (or vice versa) without at least two days in between. Same for any kind of pressing work.

So you can be as flexible as you like in terms of schedule just so long as your only flexible within the bounds of your recovery.
I used to do an upper/lower split, repeated twice over a four-day period. That has since evolved into a six-to-seven day split, based on each main lift repeated twice within a week, now that I treat the overhead press as a main lift (complete with its own accessory lift -- the snatch push press). The exception to this "rule" is that I'll squat and deadlift on the same day -- usually Tuesdays, and occasionally Saturdays.

I'd prefer to squat and deadlift on separate days as much as possible, for the sake of performance, recovery, and more time for direct quad work, but that would stretch things out to something like an eight-day split, with each lift repeated twice therein. Ideally, I think people usually bench, then squat, then press, and finally deadlift, but my weekly rotation deviates heavily from that.

Aside from not programming actual rest days, I've run into the issue of possibly overthinking the idea of hitting a lift an arbitrary number of times within a somewhat arbitrary period of time (a week). Three days between bench sessions, for example, doesn't mean anything if I slept like shit each night; conversely, I've bounced back on lifts that I tanked during a previous session by simply getting enough sleep when it counted.

As it is, the whole rotation gets thrown off if I miss a day or deviate from the "plan" for whatever reason. Squats and deadlifts benefit most from being scheduled on Tuesdays because I have the most time on that day; this would likely change if the job situation changes.

While I've learned that my performance on a given lift doesn't tank if I get around to it a day or two later than planned, I realize that there's likely a sweet spot also, and too much time between dedicated sessions for a given lift can hurt performance. Sometimes it's not as bad squatting again after two whole weeks, and sometimes it's like learning to walk all over again.

The comment that I referenced -- from Izzy Narvaez -- just kind of reinforced in my mind that I might be too dogmatic about the idea of doing something a set number of times within a set number of days. It may be some sort of mental stubbornness. I've never done an actual program because life and priorities can become unpredictable, so the best I could really do is just make sure I stick to a schedule, if nothing else.

In short, I am struggling with the idea of squatting and deadlifting on separate days to finally secure a four-plate squat this year. From a recovery standpoint, it seems like a sensible idea. I just don't like the idea of basically only hitting each lift once a week; seems counterproductive to progress.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:19 pm

ChasingCurls69 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:48 pm Holy shit that's a strong press
Thanks!

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:43 pm

Renascent wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:18 pm It may be some sort of mental stubbornness. I've never done an actual program because life and priorities can become unpredictable, so the best I could really do is just make sure I stick to a schedule, if nothing else.
Other than Shawn Phillips’ bench program around the turn of the century, I too never have run an actual program. (I am not counting bodybuilding “programs” that essentially were just combinations of exercises without any plan for progression, nor am I counting a few weeks of some LP in which I changed half the prescribed elements.) Same reasons, combined with a hard neurosis, i.e. if I can’t do the program to the letter, the idea of doing it at all makes me crazy. (Also there is a tiny Jamie Lewis sitting on one shoulder telling me that programming is for suckers, nevermind that all the suckers are stronger than me.) You’ve worked the no program program far better than me. Hoping of late that getting back to my roots a bit will get me back in the saddle.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:02 pm

DCR wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:43 pm
Renascent wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:18 pm It may be some sort of mental stubbornness. I've never done an actual program because life and priorities can become unpredictable, so the best I could really do is just make sure I stick to a schedule, if nothing else.
Other than Shawn Phillips’ bench program around the turn of the century, I too never have run an actual program. (I am not counting bodybuilding “programs” that essentially were just combinations of exercises without any plan for progression, nor am I counting a few weeks of some LP in which I changed half the prescribed elements.) Same reasons, combined with a hard neurosis, i.e. if I can’t do the program to the letter, the idea of doing it at all makes me crazy. (Also there is a tiny Jamie Lewis sitting on one shoulder telling me that programming is for suckers, nevermind that all the suckers are stronger than me.) You’ve worked the no program program far better than me. Hoping of late that getting back to my roots a bit will get me back in the saddle.
This is exactly how my funky little homebrew brain works!

Regimented to a fault, which may be what's holding me back on a lot of fronts.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:34 pm

Renascent wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:18 pm
Hardartery wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:42 pmThe sooner you throw in a little flexibility stuff the better, speaking purely from the lazy man's perspective. It's easier to keep it than get it back, you really don't have to do much to keep it. As for what day it is, tri's and bi's are in the same leaugue as abs, you can beat the hell out of them and be ready to go again for certain by the time 48 hours have passed, depending on what you are doing you can hit them multiple days in a row and not suffer ill effects. You know when you are lifting if they are actually recovered by what you can do and what you cannot. And everyone is of course a little different. some guys can do a heavy day and then a lighter day and then take a day off before getting after them again and it works great, some guys are every other day max.
I was mainly referring to flexibility in the context of how my lifting schedule is arranged, though some actual flexibility training wouldn't be a bad idea if I could make the time for it.

There's a lot of other facets of "fitness" I'd like to explore someday (like mace training), if I could make or find the time.

Or if suddenly there's an earnest movement to modify the American work week to resemble whatever it is that the French enjoy.
MarkKO wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:17 pmI was going to say something and then when writing it realised it was stupid.

I used to do an upper/lower split, repeated twice over a four-day period. That has since evolved into a six-to-seven day split, based on each main lift repeated twice within a week, now that I treat the overhead press as a main lift (complete with its own accessory lift -- the snatch push press). The exception to this "rule" is that I'll squat and deadlift on the same day -- usually Tuesdays, and occasionally Saturdays.

I'd prefer to squat and deadlift on separate days as much as possible, for the sake of performance, recovery, and more time for direct quad work, but that would stretch things out to something like an eight-day split, with each lift repeated twice therein. Ideally, I think people usually bench, then squat, then press, and finally deadlift, but my weekly rotation deviates heavily from that.

Aside from not programming actual rest days, I've run into the issue of possibly overthinking the idea of hitting a lift an arbitrary number of times within a somewhat arbitrary period of time (a week). Three days between bench sessions, for example, doesn't mean anything if I slept like shit each night; conversely, I've bounced back on lifts that I tanked during a previous session by simply getting enough sleep when it counted.

As it is, the whole rotation gets thrown off if I miss a day or deviate from the "plan" for whatever reason. Squats and deadlifts benefit most from being scheduled on Tuesdays because I have the most time on that day; this would likely change if the job situation changes.

While I've learned that my performance on a given lift doesn't tank if I get around to it a day or two later than planned, I realize that there's likely a sweet spot also, and too much time between dedicated sessions for a given lift can hurt performance. Sometimes it's not as bad squatting again after two whole weeks, and sometimes it's like learning to walk all over again.

The comment that I referenced -- from Izzy Narvaez -- just kind of reinforced in my mind that I might be too dogmatic about the idea of doing something a set number of times within a set number of days. It may be some sort of mental stubbornness. I've never done an actual program because life and priorities can become unpredictable, so the best I could really do is just make sure I stick to a schedule, if nothing else.

In short, I am struggling with the idea of squatting and deadlifting on separate days to finally secure a four-plate squat this year. From a recovery standpoint, it seems like a sensible idea. I just don't like the idea of basically only hitting each lift once a week; seems counterproductive to progress.
So, I misunderstood "Flexibility", which hit me when reading @MarkKO 's response. I'm going to throw out an idea that may be in defiance of your very nature, but hear me out. Don't program specific lifts. Now I will explain. The basic idea behind Upper/Lower splits, and taken to the extreme by Westside Conjugate, is to not specifically do the "Comp" lifts all of the time. You can easily do something "Accesory" instead sometimes. Overhead does require a certain amount of technique and is groove dependent, but you don't actually have to do it to get stronger at it. You can focus on Squats and do accessories to match while leaving Deadlif on cruise control. Like doing some SGDL and/or RDL's in place of actual DL for a block of programming, and not actually doing any DL's at all for that block of 6-8 weeks (As an example of timeframe). You won't lose anything, you may get a little rusty but the rust knocks off within a week or two of resuming DL's and you will probably actually be stronger at them. You can also go into it as a muscle group approach. Like, Day 1 is triceps and anterior delts and pecs, Day 2 is quads and calves and hamstrings, Day 3 is posterior shoulder, triceps, upper back, Day 4 is glutes and lower back and stabilisers. You do what hits them and also is what you want to do that day. Then you cycle back around to a peaking phase for one or more of the lifts. It's also entirely possible to rearrange that slightly and get a 3 day schedule out of it.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:08 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:18 pm

If it means anything, the best progress I've ever made on any of the lifts has come when I cut them all back to once a week. I switched in early 2018 and have had no need to to change so far.

What @Hardartery said about training specific muscles is also a big thing I think.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 pm

Hardartery wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:34 pmYou can also go into it as a muscle group approach. Like, Day 1 is triceps and anterior delts and pecs, Day 2 is quads and calves and hamstrings, Day 3 is posterior shoulder, triceps, upper back, Day 4 is glutes and lower back and stabilisers. You do what hits them and also is what you want to do that day. Then you cycle back around to a peaking phase for one or more of the lifts. It's also entirely possible to rearrange that slightly and get a 3 day schedule out of it.
MarkKO wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:08 amIf it means anything, the best progress I've ever made on any of the lifts has come when I cut them all back to once a week. I switched in early 2018 and have had no need to to change so far.

What @Hardartery said about training specific muscles is also a big thing I think.
The muscle group idea what I would probably lean towards naturally. I already loosely structure things in that sort of way as it is; I'm always a little wary of the idea of placing less emphasis on the "main" lifts, though I've seen this setup work well for much stronger people.

As for variations of specific lifts, I'm somewhat limited because of the home gym setup, for now. I've been chewing on the idea of running deficit deadlifts for a few weeks, though I don't know if that would count as a true variation.

Kinda wanna run with incline bench press for a short time as well; last I remember, my incline 1RM was pretty shitty. It's just that I'm always more likely to approach PR territory with the upper-body lifts, so I hesitate at the thought of tinkering with shit.

I'm probably overthinking the whole thing, but eventually the "once a week for each main lift" arrangement will become a reality, whether I want it to or not.

DCR

Post by DCR » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:05 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 pm I’ve been chewing on the idea of running deficit deadlifts for a few weeks
And this is why I just can’t quit you.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:56 pm

Renascent wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 pm
Hardartery wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:34 pmYou can also go into it as a muscle group approach. Like, Day 1 is triceps and anterior delts and pecs, Day 2 is quads and calves and hamstrings, Day 3 is posterior shoulder, triceps, upper back, Day 4 is glutes and lower back and stabilisers. You do what hits them and also is what you want to do that day. Then you cycle back around to a peaking phase for one or more of the lifts. It's also entirely possible to rearrange that slightly and get a 3 day schedule out of it.
MarkKO wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:08 amIf it means anything, the best progress I've ever made on any of the lifts has come when I cut them all back to once a week. I switched in early 2018 and have had no need to to change so far.

The muscle group idea what I would probably lean towards naturally. I already loosely structure things in that sort of way as it is; I'm always a little wary of the idea of placing less emphasis on the "main" lifts, though I've seen this setup work well for much stronger people.

As for variations of specific lifts, I'm somewhat limited because of the home gym setup, for now. I've been chewing on the idea of running deficit deadlifts for a few weeks, though I don't know if that would count as a true variation.

Kinda wanna run with incline bench press for a short time as well; last I remember, my incline 1RM was pretty shitty. It's just that I'm always more likely to approach PR territory with the upper-body lifts, so I hesitate at the thought of tinkering with shit.

I'm probably overthinking the whole thing, but eventually the "once a week for each main lift" arrangement will become a reality, whether I want it to or not.
We have almost diametrically opposed approaches 🤣🤣

I try to do as little of the main lifts as possible, just enough to practice and improve; and make up the rest of my volume with muscle specific work. Almost no variations.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:50 pm

DCR wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:05 pm
Renascent wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:32 pm I’ve been chewing on the idea of running deficit deadlifts for a few weeks
And this is why I just can’t quit you.
I enjoyed them when I last did them, but that was years ago.

Might be interesting to see if any new flaws have cropped up since the last time I had to work with a lower starting position.
MarkKO wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:56 pmWe have almost diametrically opposed approaches 🤣🤣

I try to do as little of the main lifts as possible, just enough to practice and improve; and make up the rest of my volume with muscle specific work. Almost no variations.
I've something of a meathead love affair going on with the bench press. Dunno how long I could stay away from it without getting antsy.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:53 pm

(2.9.2023)
Overhead Press
155 x 9
175 x 6 x 3
185 x 4 x 3
195 x 3 x 2
205 x 2 x 2
215 x 1

Yazmin Press
185 x 7 x 4
195 x 6 x 2
205 x 4 x 2

Rope Pushdowns
75 x 12 x 4
80 x 9 x 2

Barbell Hang Shrugs
255 x 25 x 2
315 x 15 x 2

Overhead RTEs
80 x 12 x 4
85 x 10 x 2

Dumbbell Silverback Shrugs
80 x 15 x 4

Lateral Plate Raise
25 x 10 x 3

Went to bed last night at an ungodly hour, so I took the day off to make up for it and sleep in a bit. I guess it paid off. Did some homework and presses.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:27 pm

(2.10.2023)
High-Bar Squat
135 x 11
225 x 11
275 x 7 x 2
315 x 4 x 3
335 x 3 x 3
345 x 1 x 3
275 x 5 x 2

Bilateral Dumbbell Bulgarian Split Squats
45 x 10 x 2
55 x 8 x 2
65 x 6 x 2

Bilateral Dumbbell Side Step Ups
25 x 10 x 4

Weighted Sisy Squats
25 x 12 x 4

Lying Cable Knee Raise
75 x 12 x 4

DCR

Post by DCR » Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:53 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:27 pm Weighted Sisy Squats
25 x 12 x 4
Yeah, yeah.

(Ok seriously, legit last time I did them was when they were the “stretch” position for quads in Steve Holman’s Positions of Flexion “program” in like 1998. Ironman promoted that shit in every issue for like a full year. It was such bullshit but I’ll bet if I did it today and went hard and believed in it, there’d actually be some results.)

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:34 pm

DCR wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 7:53 pm
25 x 12 x 4
Yeah, yeah.

(Ok seriously, legit last time I did them was when they were the “stretch” position for quads in Steve Holman’s Positions of Flexion “program” in like 1998. Ironman promoted that shit in every issue for like a full year. It was such bullshit but I’ll bet if I did it today and went hard and believed in it, there’d actually be some results.)
I tried them out for the first time a few years ago, after reading a T-Nation article. I did a few sets in my bedroom while holding onto a bedpost, and managed to feel a burn or pump or whatever it's called. It was a novel sensation, but the movement itself didn't seem like something I'd want to spend precious time in the gym doing.

Within the last year or so (maybe longer; can't remember), I got on some kick about training biarticular muscles from lengthened positions. Sisy squats* -- as well as reverse Nordic curls and standing leg extensions -- kept coming up as suggestions for rectus femoris, so I started doing unweighted sets as a finisher of sorts. Now I just hold a plate to my chest and crank out a few; probably gonna get a weighted vest eventually.

Not sure if they've added anything to my squat proficiency (evidence would suggest they've not), but vanity, like strength, is a powerful motivator, and they've helped add some thickness to my VMO and I can see my rectus femoris too, so there's that.

I'm not sure if I'd have the patience to structure a block around them as a main quad movement, but I do think they have their place. The reverse Nordic curl is supposedly a regressed variation, but I'll swap them out as I see fit (and as boredom dictates).

*Yes, I spell it with one less "s" now. Had a conversation with someone who bristled at the name. When I explained that they were named after Sisyphus, it was pointed out in response that the name of the exercise doesn't accurately reflect the spelling of the Greek king's name. So, umm, yeah.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:55 pm

25 x 12 x 4
Yeah, yeah.

Might be an outlier, but I've found sissy squats to be just about the best quad builder I've ever used. Beats front squats, lunges, hack squats, belt squats or anything else I could do into a cooked hat.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:20 am

MarkKO wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:55 pm
25 x 12 x 4
Yeah, yeah.

Might be an outlier, but I've found sissy squats to be just about the best quad builder I've ever used. Beats front squats, lunges, hack squats, belt squats or anything else I could do into a cooked hat.
Brb, printing this entire exchange and pasting it on the wall of my weight room.

@Renascent any tips or cues specific to the feet on this movement? A big part of what makes them feel awkward/wrong for me is the lack of solid connection to the floor and the way one has to come up on their toes at the bottom.

It would be sacrilege to do that with most lifts, but necessary for Sisy squats, yes?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:01 am

broseph wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:20 am
25 x 12 x 4
Yeah, yeah.

Brb, printing this entire exchange and pasting it on the wall of my weight room.

@Renascent any tips or cues specific to the feet on this movement? A big part of what makes them feel awkward/wrong for me is the lack of solid connection to the floor and the way one has to come up on their toes at the bottom.

It would be sacrilege to do that with most lifts, but necessary for Sisy squats, yes?
In my experience, it took some repetition to finally feel comfortable doing them; even still, they tend to feel awkward and unstable, but you get better at it.

When I did them without extra weight, I'd use both hands to hold on to a barbell or the uprights of the rack and just focus on getting my knees as close to the ground as possible without making contact. Hips over heels, as best you as can. I'd do these in burner-set fashion, but that gets boring counting past 15.

Now I use one arm to steady myself against my bench in the incline position, and the other arm to cradle a plate like an iron newborn.

It helps to try and keep the glutes as tight as possible, though sometimes I end up "cheating" when my glutes cramp and I get sort of a slight jackknife movement in the hips, which isn't desirable but won't decrease the benefits of the movement too terribly as long as your hips are mostly extended.

Might wanna try them barefooted and see if you can get better traction under the balls of your feet.

@augeleven's suggestion to try reverse Nordics is a good idea too, in my opinion. Other than making my ankles sore sometimes, I feel like I can get a greater stretch, a longer eccentric, and they've stopped some knee popping noises for a time on numerous occasions. You can use a band or a cable as a counterweight for assistance too, but, like the sisy Ssquat, the key is to keep the butt clenched as much as you can.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:35 pm

broseph wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:20 am
25 x 12 x 4
Yeah, yeah.

Renascent any tips or cues specific to the feet on this movement? A big part of what makes them feel awkward/wrong for me is the lack of solid connection to the floor and the way one has to come up on their toes at the bottom.

Absolutely. I stand on the balls of my feet to start, and stay there until the set is done. I'll run my hand up and down the rack to balance, but won't grip it. I keep my feet close together too, and lean my torso back a bunch as I go down.