What the hell is going on with USPA now?

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

MarkKO

What the hell is going on with USPA now?

Post by MarkKO » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:59 pm

I'm just curious.

All I've seen is a USPA post talking about doing proper background checks on officials which apparently they said they would but didn't really.

Did Robert Wilks move to the USA or something?

mouse

Re: What the hell is going on with USPA now?

Post by mouse » Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:15 am

So I finally got curious enough to ask myself and after about 5-10 minutes of googling it would appear:

A USPA state chair went completely batshit over an incident with her dog and someone recorded her *checks notes* wiping her uh... vaginal fluids... all over the front door of the person she was having a tiff with.

Somehow this blew the lid off a bunch of previous mishandlings and flat out lies about the power structure of the USPA...

I'm not joking.

So glad I'm not a powerlifter.

houzi

Post by houzi » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:03 am

MarkKO wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:59 pm I'm just curious.

All I've seen is a USPA post talking about doing proper background checks on officials which apparently they said they would but didn't really.

Did Robert Wilks move to the USA or something?
Seems like USPA has been paying no regard to any safeguarding protocols, and this event has sparked off a whole chain of things. I read that there were folks with criminal records for child endangerment and sexual assaults doing weigh ins for children and women. Stuff like that.
I believe earlier last year there was a meet director who split with the USPA and tried to raise his own org... only for it to become apparent his wife (and co-director) had a criminal record for child abuse stuff. I think that all blew over, but now its sparked up again.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:49 am

mouse wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:15 am So I finally got curious enough to ask myself and after about 5-10 minutes of googling it would appear:

A USPA state chair went completely batshit over an incident with her dog and someone recorded her *checks notes* wiping her uh... vaginal fluids... all over the front door of the person she was having a tiff with.

Somehow this blew the lid off a bunch of previous mishandlings and flat out lies about the power structure of the USPA...

I'm not joking.

PL can be such a friggin soap opera. Just, wow. Maybe they should focus on drug testing the officials more than the athletes.

dw

Post by dw » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:22 am

Hardartery wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:49 am
mouse wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:15 am So I finally got curious enough to ask myself and after about 5-10 minutes of googling it would appear:

I'm not joking.

PL can be such a friggin soap opera. Just, wow. Maybe they should focus on drug testing the officials more than the athletes.

I keep going back to mouse's post and wrestling with myself over whether I should make a bad joke about 'juicing'.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:55 am

I'm not joking.

Pardon? Are there any public facing news stories we can read up on this?

TwoFoursStrohm

Post by TwoFoursStrohm » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:00 am

5hout wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:55 am

I'm not joking.

Pardon? Are there any public facing news stories we can read up on this?
Check out goob_u2 on Instagram

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:20 am

joesullivan_aod on IG as well is listing a ton of stories about the shitshow, including the fallout with USPS state chairs, other notable powerlifters and gyms.

It is a messed up but you will find perverts and reprobates in most every organization giving special favor due to nepotism, cronyism, ineptitude and corporate/bureaucratic indifference. Even with background checks the preceding allows perverts and financial criminals into: public schools, most federal government agency, *insert your denomination here* church, fortune 500 companies and pretty much every other sizable organization.

Doesn't make it right, obviously, but the cost to do things right will likely make an already moderately expensive hobby too damn expensive for most folks. Just do weigh outs in singlets only, no undressing all the way down - eliminate the apparent all too real fear of perverts checking out folks in their skivvies; it is an idea that Rip had right (for different reasons but still...)

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:26 am

I'm not joking.

That's a very, um, unique way to express displeasure.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:27 am

dw wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:22 am

I'm not joking.

I keep going back to mouse's post and wrestling with myself over whether I should make a bad joke about 'juicing'.
I can't help but notice this BS seems to only really happen with feds that test. The untested lot seem significantly less prone to this stuff.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:29 am

bobmen10000 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:20 am joesullivan_aod on IG as well is listing a ton of stories about the shitshow, including the fallout with USPS state chairs, other notable powerlifters and gyms.

It is a messed up but you will find perverts and reprobates in most every organization giving special favor due to nepotism, cronyism, ineptitude and corporate/bureaucratic indifference. Even with background checks the preceding allows perverts and financial criminals into: public schools, most federal government agency, *insert your denomination here* church, fortune 500 companies and pretty much every other sizable organization.

Doesn't make it right, obviously, but the cost to do things right will likely make an already moderately expensive hobby too damn expensive for most folks. Just do weigh outs in singlets only, no undressing all the way down - eliminate the apparent all too real fear of perverts checking out folks in their skivvies; it is an idea that Rip had right (for different reasons but still...)
I will further venture that it seems like it's usually those organisations that have a tendency to put themselves forward as morally superior to others which are the ones replete with reprobates. Funny how that works.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:11 am

MarkKO wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:27 am

I'm not joking.

I can't help but notice this BS seems to only really happen with feds that test. The untested lot seem significantly less prone to this stuff.
USPA is primarily an untested fed, largest/most reputable one in the US (well, up until now). They have a drug tested division but it’s newer and much less popular.

I’m actually signed up for a drug tested USPA meet in May. I’ve competed in USAPL previously but this meet fit my schedule better and I thought it might be worth trying a meeting that uses a deadlift bar since I’ve had so much trouble trying to hook grip on a 29mm bar after my bicep tear.

Turns out that the meet director was Chico Cloyne, one of the major scumbags involved with this scandal. He has now been fired from the executive committee and kicked out of the federation. Not sure what’s going to happen with the meet. I believe he’s based in Ohio and just took over for USPA Michigan last year so I don’t know if there’s someone else who’s equipped to step in and take over his meets or what.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:42 pm

TimK wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:11 am
MarkKO wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:27 am

I'm not joking.

USPA is primarily an untested fed, largest/most reputable one in the US (well, up until now). They have a drug tested division but it’s newer and much less popular.

I’m actually signed up for a drug tested USPA meet in May. I’ve competed in USAPL previously but this meet fit my schedule better and I thought it might be worth trying a meeting that uses a deadlift bar since I’ve had so much trouble trying to hook grip on a 29mm bar after my bicep tear.

Turns out that the meet director was Chico Cloyne, one of the major scumbags involved with this scandal. He has now been fired from the executive committee and kicked out of the federation. Not sure what’s going to happen with the meet. I believe he’s based in Ohio and just took over for USPA Michigan last year so I don’t know if there’s someone else who’s equipped to step in and take over his meets or what.
Is it still the US affiliate of the IPL? Over here in Aus it's slightly confusing because we have the APL, which is the official affiliate of the IPL, same rules as USPA (AFAIK), same deal with tested and untested divisions. It seems pretty evenly spread tested vs untested.

Then as of recently we also have USPA Australia, which touts itself as the bestest most tested superior federation in Australia.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:00 pm

MarkKO wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:26 am

I'm not joking.

That's a very, um, unique way to express displeasure.
I saw it on reddit first and dismissed it as weird internet bullshit...

Thennnnn there was a video.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:06 pm

MarkKO wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:42 pm Is it still the US affiliate of the IPL? Over here in Aus it's slightly confusing because we have the APL, which is the official affiliate of the IPL, same rules as USPA (AFAIK), same deal with tested and untested divisions. It seems pretty evenly spread tested vs untested.
Yes, and as I understand it both USPA and IPL are privately owned by Steve Denison (also the president of both feds, at least up to now).
Then as of recently we also have USPA Australia, which touts itself as the bestest most tested superior federation in Australia.
I believe you’re thinking of USAPL Australia - they’re doing the same in South Korea (and elsewhere I would imagine). Since leaving the IPF they’re apparently trying to build their own “world” level federation.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:56 pm

TimK wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:06 pm
MarkKO wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:42 pm Is it still the US affiliate of the IPL? Over here in Aus it's slightly confusing because we have the APL, which is the official affiliate of the IPL, same rules as USPA (AFAIK), same deal with tested and untested divisions. It seems pretty evenly spread tested vs untested.
Yes, and as I understand it both USPA and IPL are privately owned by Steve Denison (also the president of both feds, at least up to now).
I believe you’re thinking of USAPL Australia - they’re doing the same in South Korea (and elsewhere I would imagine). Since leaving the IPF they’re apparently trying to build their own “world” level federation.
You are correct, I always confuse USPA and USAPL.

What would powerlifting be without federation scandals 🤣🤣🤣

cole

Post by cole » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:40 pm

I've only ever done USAPL meets and they always run a good operation here in Colorado