Remove Training Logs From "Quick Links -> New Posts" Listing?

Make requests and get help.

Moderator: Manveer

Michiganian

Remove Training Logs From "Quick Links -> New Posts" Listing?

Post by Michiganian » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:58 am

I sure hope this doesn't raise anybody's ire. Please bear with me.

The problem is, if you want to see all the new posts in the various forums, via Quick Links -> New Posts, often the listing is overwhelmed with posts in Training Logs.

Don't get me wrong: It's terrific members are maintaining these. Would that I had that much motivation :)

But, if what one is interested in is new posts in the discussion forums, often the only way to reasonably find them out of the wealth of Training Logs posts is to go to each, individually, and look.

Whereas, if Training Logs was removed from Quick Links -> New Posts, those interested in following updates to them would have to look in only one place: Training Logs. Two, at the most (the other being Quick Links -> New Posts), if they wanted to see all updates.

Like I said: Hope I'm not offending anybody. Just seems to me a logical thing to do.

dw

Re: Remove Training Logs From "Quick Links -> New Posts" Listing?

Post by dw » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:09 am

The idea is reasonable but at least if you check as often as I do the volume of new posts isn't high enough to worry about it.

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:58 am

Wait until you realize that all the real serious training discussion happens in the shitposting section and the boots thread.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:00 am

Personally I would prefer that we keep it as it is.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:09 am

slowmotion wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:00 am Personally I would prefer that we keep it as it is.
Just for curiosity's sake: Why?

My point is: Unless you're interested in others' training logs I'd argue the New posts listing being overwhelmingly dominated by them, and consistently-so, too, makes the listing essentially worthless. E.g.: Right now, of 21 topics listed by New posts, 17, 81%, are Training logs posts.

ISTM this almost guarantees somebody making a new post to something like Equipment or Nutrition will be missed by a good number of people who don't look at those forums separately.

Normally, on most forums, all I watch is the New posts listing because, while there are usually specific forums in which I'm interested, occasionally something will pop-up in another forum that might be interesting or to which I might provide some input. But here? Too much Training logs noise to sort through, so I only see what's in the three forums I've chosen to watch. Four, with the issues I've raised in this one. (Which I'll stop watching when they're resolved.)

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:50 am

Michiganian wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:09 am
slowmotion wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:00 am Personally I would prefer that we keep it as it is.
Just for curiosity's sake: Why?
Well, because I like that the training logs are included in the New Posts. Makes it more convenient for me. :)

cgeorg

Post by cgeorg » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:37 am

I like the training logs being included. A lot of the good discussion here ends up occurring within training logs, and to me they're just not a separate category of post any more than Shitposting is. I ignore a lot of the non-training log entries in my New Posts the same way I ignore a lot of the training log things.

I could see adding a separate "New Posts except for Training Logs" (needs workshopping) or a checkbox to the existing New Posts page, but I do not volunteer to code them.

Clearwater47

Post by Clearwater47 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:20 am

Yeah, I think the ideal solution is for individuals to be able to filter in/out what they want to see there. If there were a plugin that allowed that functionality that would be the easy way to go about it, but I doubt that exists. I'm sure it's possible to code it in but may not be worth the time it would take to do it since most people probably won't care much.

Culican

Post by Culican » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:44 am

I like the training logs in the list. I check often enough that there are only one or two pages in the unread list and I've come across some interesting discussions by venturing into training logs I've never visited before.