Glute/Ham/Ab Roller/Glider: Anybody Here Use One?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Michiganian

Glute/Ham/Ab Roller/Glider: Anybody Here Use One?

Post by Michiganian » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:15 am

I've an ab roller wheel and it's a great ab workout. Searching on something related to using them I discovered the existence of glute/ham/ab rollers/gliders.

Sorinex apparently made them first:

Now Bells of Steel, Stray Dog Strength, Titan Fitness, and Vulcan all make them. There are, naturally, some cheap Chinese knock-offs on Amazon, as well.

Advantage to typical single-wheel ab and glute/ham wheels is they engage additional muscles for stabilization, they tend to be a lot less expensive, and they take up less storage space. Main advantage to these sled-type products is one can attach exercise bands to them to add resistance.

Wondering if anybody here has and uses one, and, if so, how you use it and your thoughts on them?

mbasic

Re: Glute/Ham/Ab Roller/Glider: Anybody Here Use One?

Post by mbasic » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:10 am

They must not be very good as a glute developer, as I can't one YT of a female fitness influencer doing a review .... all men.
(EDIT: ok, a couple rando females, but no females with the apparrent glute-acumen that would believe me this is an effective product for the glutes).

Regarding rollouts. Lately I like doing the with the barbell and olympic plates. If you knee on a stack of 2-3 bumpers you can really get a larger ROM than an ab wheel or this trolly-thing here.

gtl

Post by gtl » Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:03 am

I bought the Bells of Steel one. I don't love it. In fact, I've used it twice.

I thought I would use it for ab wheel - I prefer my ab wheel

I thought I'd use it for as a glute/ham work, but didn't find it terribly useful

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:18 pm

gtl wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:03 am I bought the Bells of Steel one. I don't love it. In fact, I've used it twice.

I thought I'd use it for as a glute/ham work, but didn't find it terribly useful
Looks like it might make a nifty plate rack for some bumpers.

gtl

Post by gtl » Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:38 am

Hardartery wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:18 pm
gtl wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:03 am I bought the Bells of Steel one. I don't love it. In fact, I've used it twice.

Looks like it might make a nifty plate rack for some bumpers.
Ha.. didn't think of that.

I will also say, that my first time using it, I skinned open my knuckles because of the sharp edges. That was also likely a factor in me deciding I didn't really like it.

James

Post by James » Thu Jan 26, 2023 5:25 am

Seems pretty fancy for a harbor freight dolly.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:10 am

I have the TItan one, and my experience was almost identical. I don't know why I haven't given it away yet.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:39 am

Interesting replies from those that have them. Garage Gym Reviews, these guys, and several posters on Reddit swear by them.

It would seem like they should provide for an effective core and posterior chain workout, so I'm a bit surprised by the responses.
murphyreedus wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:10 am I have the TItan one, and my experience was almost identical. I don't know why I haven't given it away yet.
I'll be happy to pay the shipping if you want to send it to me or I'll come pick it up it you're local :D
Last edited by Michiganian on Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:20 am

Michiganian wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:39 am Garage Gym Reviews, these guys, and several posters on Reddit swear by them.
Here's all you need to know about Coop and whoever those other people are:
Please note: this is an affiliate link, which will provide me with a small commission at no extra cost to you.
I have the titan one, bought it on a whim a few years ago, played around with it for like 20 minutes. Maybe I'll try using it for something, someday. But if you're going to use it for hamstring stuff, I think you'd be much better off if you could rig up some sort of band-assisted nordic curl.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:01 pm

Hmmm... Three respondents that have them, none of whom found them particularly useful. Guess I'll hold off on this one--at least for now.

Thanks for the follow-ups, y'all! Image

Tally

Post by Tally » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:15 pm

I have a Glute-Ham Roller. It was made by Mech6 (from BodyBuilding.com).

I use it as an ab roller. Works great. The rollerblade wheels are smoooooth.
I use it for glute-ham curls with my heels in the angle. When I first started using it, I got bad hamstring cramps after a few reps. I was deadlifting over 300 lbs at the time, but the hamstring curls were hitting me like no other exercise.
There are other exercises the roller can be used for, but I have not tried them.

I like the roller as a finishing exercise. It may not be the most used piece of equipment I have, but it is something I would buy again if mine went missing.

Michiganian

Post by Michiganian » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:35 am

Thanks for your comments, @Tally. I still have a glute/ham/ab roller on my list of equipment to consider, but, it's quite a ways down the list. I've so many other things I need first.