The Gaming Thread

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

GlasgowJock

Re: The Gaming Thread

Post by GlasgowJock » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:11 am

OverheadDeadlifts wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:35 am Thank you for igniting that yearly ‘maybe I should play some WoW’ spark. The outcome is always the same though, get bored and stop after 2 weeks because the elitist ‘get rekt scrub’ part of me that wanted to queue arena all day is dead.

I started playing when I was 11 and my main is about to turn 17. What the fuck.
I admittedly started playing the game again when WoW Classic and TBC Classic were released. Was fun cruising around Azeroth again for a bit of nostalgia though the contrast in attitude of people playing was evident in that 15 year period.

I haven't touched an expansion since Mists of Pandaria (Maybe even half heartedly WOD?)... I think when you had to start linking gear scores and unlocked achievements to evidence you'd completed the content already to a PuG group the game lost a lot of its appeal for me.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:10 am

There are way too many good games being released. 2 years of nothing and now...Zelda, Starfield, Cyberpunk 2.0, Baldur's Gate 3, Lords of the Fallen, Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man 2, The Day Before...And there are probably half a dozen good games not getting press. I have zero time to play them. I know I can play them at my leisure but this glut has me feeling overwhelmed. Anyway, good time to be in gaming.

dw

Post by dw » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:04 am

aurelius wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:10 am There are way too many good games being released. 2 years of nothing and now...Zelda, Starfield, Cyberpunk 2.0, Baldur's Gate 3, Lords of the Fallen, Alan Wake 2, Spider-Man 2, The Day Before...And there are probably half a dozen good games not getting press. I have zero time to play them. I know I can play them at my leisure but this glut has me feeling overwhelmed. Anyway, good time to be in gaming.

No Starfield for you?

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:07 am

dw wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:04 amNo Starfield for you?
Played a little. Pretty cool. Just don't have the time to commit.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:29 pm

Finally started XCom 2. It's decent but feels exactly like XCom 1.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:39 am

I know I don't have time to start Starfield or BG3 so I loaded up a completely new Skyrim save (moved to SE) with these mods:

More Interesting Loot Reborn (already deleted, was causing 2-3 second lag on every loot. Really good concept and the OG mod was pretty good, so sad this one is a little not optimized).
Open Civil War
Sky UI
Civil War Aftermath
High Level Enemies Redux
Immersive Patrols
Ordinator (never used, was a Perkus Maximus player, but it seems to be solidly dead RIP)
Apocalypse (Used in the past, I think it's my 2nd favorite magic mod BUT it's the best for not being just insanely OP).

Creation Club: Farming

I'm feeling like maybe adding in one of the werewolf rebuilds, but not sure. It interacts so poorly with actually enjoying the game (IMO) that every time I try it I hate it. Maybe someone has a "people aren't hostile to werewolves" mod.

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:27 am

Alan Wake 2.

My best gaming experience dating back to the original release of The Last of US. I'm actually making time to play it versus playing in my spare time.

Buy it. Play it.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:27 pm

aurelius wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:27 am Alan Wake 2.

My best gaming experience dating back to the original release of The Last of US. I'm actually making time to play it versus playing in my spare time.

Buy it. Play it.

I'm deliberately avoiding it because I don't want a time sink at this time, but I thought the story and atmosphere of the first were very good. One of the better examples of games as art. (Gameplay was extremely repetitive but I didn't really care.)

aurelius
Grade A Asshole

Post by aurelius » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:30 pm

dw wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 1:27 pmI'm deliberately avoiding it because I don't want a time sink at this time, but I thought the story and atmosphere of the first were very good. One of the better examples of games as art. (Gameplay was extremely repetitive but I didn't really care.)
It is excellent. LIghting is such an essential element of the game...it is the first game I wish I could run with full ray-tracing. Superior to the first game in every way. And they tie it in to their Control universe. I hope it does well enough for more games in this universe because I am excited about the super weird stories Relic woudl be able to tell.