Stupid Questions Thread

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

CheekiBreekiFitness

Re: Stupid Questions Thread

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:52 am

asdf wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:03 am This isn't a stupid question, but rather a question about a stupid action.

I was benching with my wife, so lots of plate swapping between sets. At one point, I forgot that I had a 5# metal plate on the outside. I grabbed the outside bumper and slide it off quickly, which launched the 5# metal plate onto my toe. Two days later, it's super swollen and purple. I had to wear my Metcons yesterday to snatch and squat, because I couldn't fit my fat toe into my lifters without pain.

In my defense, (i) there was something that distracted me immediately before pulling the bumper plate, (ii) we lift in a somewhat dimly lit garage (so that we can see city lights out our open garage door), and (iii) both the bumper and the change plate are black, so not super visible.

Been lifting for more than 40 years and first time I've dropped a weight on my foot or toe.

Anyone else ever done this?
The only "injury" I ever had from training with barbells was dropping one on my foot. Extremely painful.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:01 am

Continuing on the straps discussion, which straps do you find better - those that come with a hook grip or not? I have two cheap locally available and not sure which I should go for since I've never used them before. Hook grip vs. normal one.

5hout

Post by 5hout » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:41 am

xuerebx wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:01 am Continuing on the straps discussion, which straps do you find better - those that come with a hook grip or not? I have two cheap locally available and not sure which I should go for since I've never used them before. Hook grip vs. normal one.
I'd go with neither. Either make some as shown in this video or buy some like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSAYbrHUo6U.

You could also try Oly straps, which are also fine. I would rec'd against Figure 8 unless you have some specific need (although on days where you feel miserable they are great).

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:50 am

5hout wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:41 am
xuerebx wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:01 am Continuing on the straps discussion, which straps do you find better - those that come with a hook grip or not? I have two cheap locally available and not sure which I should go for since I've never used them before. Hook grip vs. normal one.
I'd go with neither. Either make some as shown in this video or buy some like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSAYbrHUo6U.

You could also try Oly straps, which are also fine. I would rec'd against Figure 8 unless you have some specific need (although on days where you feel miserable they are great).
Any particular reason? (just for my understanding)

I found one similar to the video you shared - https://www.eurosport.com.mt/weightlifting-straps, it's actually cheaper :D

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:01 am

Those are somehow the two worst ideas for straps I've ever seen, and being presented as your only two options. Just no. Get a normal pair of straps, or a pair of figure 8's. The normal ones are better because they require less adjustment and still involve your grip a little, if the figure 8's are set right I can actually let completely go and the bar doesn't drop.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:38 am

Haha, there were a few other options such as the one I linked in the post above yours - I just thought the more expensive ones are better. I'll go for the normal pair then.

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:46 am

xuerebx wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:38 am Haha, there were a few other options such as the one I linked in the post above yours - I just thought the more expensive ones are better. I'll go for the normal pair then.
A normal cheap-o $10 pair will last you for years if you strap up tight and still hold on to the bar (not letting the straps do all the work).

James

Post by James » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:51 am

I used two lengths of seat belt for a long time and that worked decent. I got a pair of figure 8s last year and they are great.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:53 am

Cheers guys, glad there's a specific thread for stupid questions - I feel right at home.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:46 am

xuerebx wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:53 am Cheers guys, glad there's a specific thread for stupid questions - I feel right at home.
My brother did try the hook straps, and they didn't work too well. His reason for trying them is that he's a quadrapalegic and can't make a fist, and he still ended going with something else for that part of his lifting.

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:08 am

I liked the hook straps (that exact model) because I was doing grip and rip deadlifts and wanted a strap with no setup time to mimic my actual deadlift.

That was until the nylon that secured the hook snapped clean off the rest of the strap. Hadn’t even used them all that much. Luckily it was pull-ups and not deadlifts I was doing at the time.

Back to the figure 8’s.

xuerebx

Post by xuerebx » Sat Dec 24, 2022 2:02 am

Cheers guys - I'm sold for the regular straps. I will just use them for RDLs, rows, and maybe pulldowns.

dw

Post by dw » Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:55 am

Subbing in leg press for leg extensions today because I have an infected scrape where the leg extensions pad would go...

Man I hate leg press. Something about my body proportions makes the exertion for these feel so extreme...not much easier than a omparable scheme for squat (which is pretty bad considering I'm doing stuff like sets of ~10 to failure).

Oh yeah so question...why are these so strenuous for me? Not hard as in my leg press 1rm is low compared to whatever. Not even exhausting as cardio... they just feel so hard.

janoycresva

Post by janoycresva » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:50 am

dw wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:55 am Subbing in leg press for leg extensions today because I have an infected scrape where the leg extensions pad would go...

Man I hate leg press. Something about my body proportions makes the exertion for these feel so extreme...not much easier than a omparable scheme for squat (which is pretty bad considering I'm doing stuff like sets of ~10 to failure).

Oh yeah so question...why are these so strenuous for me? Not hard as in my leg press 1rm is low compared to whatever. Not even exhausting as cardio... they just feel so hard.
I don’t think this is due to your structure specifically, I think this is just due to doing leg press correctly (full ROM) with a high degree of effort

IME the leg press has a much more linear force curve than the squat (which has one sticking point just above parallel and is much easier everywhere else) which makes it feel subjectively harder, and because it’s stable and requires minimal technique you can just push really fucking hard on it without technical disintegration bailing you out before you get to those really brutal reps where the weight is barely even moving

dw

Post by dw » Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:08 am

janoycresva wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:50 am
dw wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:55 am Subbing in leg press for leg extensions today because I have an infected scrape where the leg extensions pad would go...

I don’t think this is due to your structure specifically, I think this is just due to doing leg press correctly (full ROM) with a high degree of effort

IME the leg press has a much more linear force curve than the squat (which has one sticking point just above parallel and is much easier everywhere else) which makes it feel subjectively harder, and because it’s stable and requires minimal technique you can just push really fucking hard on it without technical disintegration bailing you out before you get to those really brutal reps where the weight is barely even moving
Bolded feels like the key to me. I feel like I'm grunting and straining and making pregnancy noises well before my last (rpe 10) rep, which is where I would be doing that for squats.

dw

Post by dw » Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:15 pm

I find that standing good mornings always seem to give me a pain behind my knee after a few sessions (not during the session). It seems to be my hamstrings tendons.

Any idea what causes this?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:05 pm

dw wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:15 pm I find that standing good mornings always seem to give me a pain behind my knee after a few sessions (not during the session). It seems to be my hamstrings tendons.

Hamstring eccentric braking.

dw

Post by dw » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:06 am

Hanley wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:05 pm
dw wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:15 pm I find that standing good mornings always seem to give me a pain behind my knee after a few sessions (not during the session). It seems to be my hamstrings tendons.

Can I avoid it somehow? Like ending the eccentric with more glute extension maybe?

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:09 am

dw wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:06 am

Can I avoid it somehow? Like ending the eccentric with more glute extension maybe?
Are you locking your knees? If so, don't. 30ish degrees of knee flexion is fine.

dw

Post by dw » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:36 am

Hanley wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:09 am
dw wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:06 am

Are you locking your knees? If so, don't. 30ish degrees of knee flexion is fine.

Hmm. I try to unlock each time before beginning the descent, but I am probably locking at the top at the end of the rep.