2022 Conditioning Party!!!!

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

EggMcMuffin

Re: 2022 Conditioning Party!!!!

Post by EggMcMuffin » Fri May 13, 2022 4:34 am

Ran over 3 miles for the first time in a while the other day. Feels good. Don't need a car anymore. I am the engine.

Ran close to three today, but got tired because all I had to eat before that was a Lunchable. lol. I'm not sure I want to up my mileage. FeigenTzarBomba told me some time ago if I do more while lifting weights that it will cut into recovery...

Tommy1507

Post by Tommy1507 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:48 pm

Been a little bit more serious about conditioning the last months. Mostly running and stationary bike for 30-45 minutes.
Stumbled across dome bodyweight cardio videos on youtube. Especiallly from IronWolf.
I alsobid so much bodyweight circuit training in training for sports when i was younger. 30sec work, 20sec rest or so. 10-14 exercises and repeat for 2-4 circles. I think i will add that in again. I always thought bodyweight exercises were more suitable for HIIT.
But today i just adjusted my pace, so that my heart rate would not exceed 80% of my max HF. Just did Burpees, Jumping Jacks, Squats and Push Ups for 30 minutes. I think its nice as you can do so many different moves. It's easy to overshoot the intensity and you have to be careful.
I don't think it's so hard to recover from than many people claim. But there must be some downsides as they are not really recommened from any strength athlete.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:17 pm

Tommy1507 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:48 pm I don't think it's so hard to recover from than many people claim. But there must be some downsides as they are not really recommened from any strength athlete.
During my several years of BW only training, I never felt the need to give recovery a second thought. The only reason that I didn’t train every day was concern over aggravating pre-existing tendonitis.

I think that you don’t see this stuff recommended more for strength athletes mainly because it’s time that could be spent on more strength-specific things. I don’t think anyone would argue that it doesn’t have benefits.

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:42 pm

Tommy1507 wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:48 pm Been a little bit more serious about conditioning the last months. Mostly running and stationary bike for 30-45 minutes.
Stumbled across dome bodyweight cardio videos on youtube. Especiallly from IronWolf.
I alsobid so much bodyweight circuit training in training for sports when i was younger. 30sec work, 20sec rest or so. 10-14 exercises and repeat for 2-4 circles. I think i will add that in again. I always thought bodyweight exercises were more suitable for HIIT.
But today i just adjusted my pace, so that my heart rate would not exceed 80% of my max HF. Just did Burpees, Jumping Jacks, Squats and Push Ups for 30 minutes. I think its nice as you can do so many different moves. It's easy to overshoot the intensity and you have to be careful.
I don't think it's so hard to recover from than many people claim. But there must be some downsides as they are not really recommened from any strength athlete.
Not only is it not hard to recover from but my experience is that it helps to recover faster from your regular hypertrophy/strength training if done right.

I've been doing conditioning (a lot being bodyweight exercises) every day for some time and my volume is the highest it's ever been, with no sign of lack of recovery.

Now i'm not sure I have gotten to the point where I can handle 30 minutes every day, but 10-15 minutes seems fine. Like anything you can probably up the dose gradually.

As far as "strength athletes" are concerned (as in somebody who competes in a strength sport at a decent level in the coming months), maybe doing too much conditioning can hurt your performance, I don't know, I'm not a strength athlete (I'm a meathead) so I can't say much. But if you're far from competition ("off-season") wouldn't doing a lot of conditioning to build a hugh base have a benefit ? I don't know.

Tommy1507

Post by Tommy1507 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:05 am

I should have read the first link in the first post before commenting here :D It exactly says what you are saying.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:35 am

2022 Conditioning Recap:

I faithfully did my Assault Bike intervals for the first 5-6 months of the year, then stopped when I had to focus on some big summer projects.

In the fall, my work schedule drastically changed and got much more consistent. So I've been doing my intervals (almost) every weekday morning before work. I've never been able to do early morning fasted lifting, but cardio fits in that slot nicely and has not appeared to interfere with afternoon/evening lifting.

I get sweaty and out of breath in my ~20:00 sessions, but I'm not killing myself and am basically in cardio maintenance mode, which is nice. Just trying to keep my resting heart rate ~60 bpm (I was in the mid 70's when doing no cardio).

augeleven

Post by augeleven » Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:23 pm

Yeah I kinda dropped the ball on this.
I mean, I’m doing some kind of run 4 days a week, and my lower body days consist of some kind of metcon-ish thing, but I’m still not MythicalStrength.

Conditioning win though - After my school concert, I moved all the drums, amps, instruments music stands from the auditorium to my room in the basement. 20ish weighted trips in a class period. Afterwards my assistant Principal stopped by to give me a holiday gift. He asked where my colleague was, and the look on his face when I said the 3rd floor (I’m in the basement) was enough to assess his level of cardio.
Not sure if I’ll do a whole extra goals thread for conditioning in ‘23, but I definitely want to improve my Cindy and get my 100 burpees in under 5 minutes