Random things to brag about (lifting/stregnth related)

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

zappey1

Random things to brag about (lifting/stregnth related)

Post by zappey1 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:10 pm

I thought we used to have a thread like this but I could not find it. I usually don't like to brag about random feats of strength but I was rather proud of this one!

The other day I got beers with one of my old lifting proteges. Since lifting with me he has gone down the non-natural path and now is an absolute unit! He is like 6'5 320lbs and is trying to hit some ridiculous PL total at a meet next month to qualify for the Arnolds. Plus he is only about 26 or so

After a couple of drinks, he was running his mouth about how good he was at arm wrestling. After getting tired of hearing all his boasts I challenged him "probably against better judgment"

We dropped the tailgate on the pickup and proceeded to have an epic match. Anyways after several minutes, my old man's muscle density prevailed and he quit right before I slammed his hand on the gate. He then asked why I was still so strong even though I don't hit crazy numbers like him.

It felt pretty good getting that W and my arm was not messed up like I was worried about immediately after! :lol:

If you have a similar story I would like to hear about it. Maybe you moved a large piece of furniture or lifted something impressive. I don't know but sometimes these minor wins feel really good and you want to tell someone about it but no one but other lifters really cares!

Brackish

Re: Random things to brag about (lifting/stregnth related)

Post by Brackish » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:34 am

Not super impressive, but an example of strength being useful in a real life situation. Last year, my dryer caught fire in my house. Oddly enough, the smoke alarms that go off when people take too long of a shower didn't make a peep. I smelled something burning and went to check it out to find the dryer burning. I grabbed an extinguisher, but the fire was actually inside the unit itself, so there was no way for me to reach it. I was alone with my two children, and we have pets. The smart thing to do would have been to get the kids out of the house and call 991, and then try and go back in for the pets. However, I wasn't thinking clearly, so I yanked the dryer out of the nook where it resides, somehow hiked it up into a semi-carrying position, manhandled it down the stairs (it's on the 3rd floor in our house for some unknown reason), and shoved it out the front door. It continued to burn in the front yard until I was eventually able to get the back removed (Fun times!) and hit it with the extinguisher. Pre-lifting, there was a zero percent chance I made it down the stairs with that thing without killing myself and/or severely damaging the walls/staircase on the way down.

ccoyle

Post by ccoyle » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:40 am

At 68, friends around my age sneeringly ask me "why do you lift weights?" Like I'm crazy.

They invariably have toothpick arms, sunken chests, no traps, and atrophied quads.

Say what you want about you-know-who, but strong people really are "generally more useful."

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:57 am

Brackish wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:34 am Not super impressive, but an example of strength being useful in a real life situation. Last year, my dryer caught fire in my house. Oddly enough, the smoke alarms that go off when people take too long of a shower didn't make a peep. I smelled something burning and went to check it out to find the dryer burning. I grabbed an extinguisher, but the fire was actually inside the unit itself, so there was no way for me to reach it. I was alone with my two children, and we have pets. The smart thing to do would have been to get the kids out of the house and call 991, and then try and go back in for the pets. However, I wasn't thinking clearly, so I yanked the dryer out of the nook where it resides, somehow hiked it up into a semi-carrying position, manhandled it down the stairs (it's on the 3rd floor in our house for some unknown reason), and shoved it out the front door. It continued to burn in the front yard until I was eventually able to get the back removed (Fun times!) and hit it with the extinguisher. Pre-lifting, there was a zero percent chance I made it down the stairs with that thing without killing myself and/or severely damaging the walls/staircase on the way down.
That's a great story :lol: I constantly get asked to help friends move things. I moved a organ from an elderly couple's house the other week and they were all amazed I manhandled it most myself onto a trailer.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:59 am

ccoyle wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:40 am At 68, friends around my age sneeringly ask me "why do you lift weights?" Like I'm crazy.

They invariably have toothpick arms, sunken chests, no traps, and atrophied quads.

Say what you want about you-know-who, but strong people really are "generally more useful."
I'm not nearly as well aged as you but the other day I slipped carrying one of my kids down the stairs. I twisted me knee pretty bad. But in a few days it was good as new. I imagine it could have been pretty bad if I did not lift on a regular basis.

Culican

Post by Culican » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:40 am

I"m 67 and get comments from the younger guys at the gym all the time. They ask how old I am and then say, "When I am that age I want to be just like you."

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:44 am

This isn't me, but my girlfriend. She has rheumatoid arthritis which has resulted in a few joints being fused and her left knee can't straighten fully. She's always relied on horseback riding to stay in shape, but recently she's "been inspired" to start lifting consistently since her PT said it's one of the best things to do if you have arthritis so I have her doing a pretty basic 2x/week full body split with exercises she can do and she's added in some yoga and stretching at the end of the sessions. Yesterday she got her left knee to go fully straight for the first time since Highschool which is about 7 years ago.

From the "Long Pump" thread, she's told me just doing the routine I gave her for the last 3 weeks has made her feel bigger in a good way and now her ROM is getting better from doing things like DB goblet squats and RDLs.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:02 am

That’s a great result @SnakePlissken!

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:10 pm

SnakePlissken wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:44 am This isn't me, but my girlfriend. She has rheumatoid arthritis which has resulted in a few joints being fused and her left knee can't straighten fully. She's always relied on horseback riding to stay in shape, but recently she's "been inspired" to start lifting consistently since her PT said it's one of the best things to do if you have arthritis so I have her doing a pretty basic 2x/week full body split with exercises she can do and she's added in some yoga and stretching at the end of the sessions. Yesterday she got her left knee to go fully straight for the first time since Highschool which is about 7 years ago.

From the "Long Pump" thread, she's told me just doing the routine I gave her for the last 3 weeks has made her feel bigger in a good way and now her ROM is getting better from doing things like DB goblet squats and RDLs.
That's awesome. I have several family members on my Mother's side with this, and it sucks. I became positive for it at 27, but so far no symptoms that I am aware of (It's rare in men anyway, it generally just picks on women). She should be proud and I for one think it's great that she's being proactive at that age.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:11 pm

I have been told multiple times that I look like Jean Claude Van Damm. One guy that I saw frequently started calling me that. Amazingly, none of these people appeared to be on drugs, and I do not in any way see the resemblance. Nor can I do the splits.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:31 pm

mgil wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:02 am That’s a great result @SnakePlissken!
Agreed!

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:46 pm

Hardartery wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:11 pm I have been told multiple times that I look like Jean Claude Van Damm. One guy that I saw frequently started calling me that. Amazingly, none of these people appeared to be on drugs, and I do not in any way see the resemblance. Nor can I do the splits.
The celebrity comparisons always crack me up.

A few weeks ago, I went to my kid's school to update some paperwork. A PE class was lining up outside near the gymnasium, and some kid blurts out, in his best Michael Cole voice, "Roman Reigns! Roman Reigns! Roman Reigns is here on Smackdown, ladies and gentlemen!" I glared at him, but the look he gave me in response made me lose it, and we both started giggling. I think he got yelled at by the coach, at that point.

I was at Whole Foods buying vegetables about two years ago, and some dude walks up to me and says, "Guess it's true what they said about Samson. All his strength came from his hair." I felt myself turning red, and thanked him sheepishly. Instead of moving on and getting on with his shopping, he clears his throat, lowers his head, and gives me intentful eye contact for about a good four seconds. Finally I said, "Ohhhh! Uh, no, sorry. But thanks!"

Also had a kid (at Whole Foods, again) abruptly walk up to me and say, "Are you Aquaman? You look like Aquaman." I thought he was kidding at first; took me a minute to realize he was dead serious. Meanwhile his mom (?), standing a few paces away from him, looked like all the color drained from her face in an instant and she refused to make eye contact. Seemed really annoyed that he initiated an interaction with some stranger dude. I took that as a cue and quietly said, "Nah. But thanks." I couldn't get around the corner fast enough.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:09 pm

Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:46 pm I was at Whole Foods buying vegetables about two years ago, and some dude walks up to me and says, "Guess it's true what they said about Samson. All his strength came from his hair." I felt myself turning red, and thanked him sheepishly. Instead of moving on and getting on with his shopping, he clears his throat, lowers his head, and gives me intentful eye contact for about a good four seconds. Finally I said, "Ohhhh! Uh, no, sorry. But thanks!"
I must look like I'm looking for a daddy type, because I get hit on by older men more than any other demographic. Although now that I'm getting older myself, it seems to be decreasing. Maybe it's my turn to hit on the young buff guys.

Oh, I also attract a lot of "man-crushes" from straight male coworkers and neighbors.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:25 pm

broseph wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:09 pm
Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:46 pm I was at Whole Foods buying vegetables about two years ago, and some dude walks up to me and says, "Guess it's true what they said about Samson. All his strength came from his hair." I felt myself turning red, and thanked him sheepishly. Instead of moving on and getting on with his shopping, he clears his throat, lowers his head, and gives me intentful eye contact for about a good four seconds. Finally I said, "Ohhhh! Uh, no, sorry. But thanks!"
I must look like I'm looking for a daddy type, because I get hit on by older men more than any other demographic. Although now that I'm getting older myself, it seems to be decreasing. Maybe it's my turn to hit on the young buff guys.
Yep. I suspect it has to do with power dynamics and how gender plays into that. Most of the compliments that come from women -- beyond the usual, disarming smile of acknowledgement that many perform in public for safety's sake (presumably) -- are from colleagues who have a great deal more power than I do, in a work-related context.

But nine times out of ten, it's older dudes trying to take my temperature, so to speak. Sometimes they're pretty direct.

I've told my wife that, if a daddy wants to pay our bills and help me go back to school, she won't see me on Friday and Saturday nights. I'm totally down with being the world's laziest gigolo.
broseph wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:09 pmOh, I also attract a lot of "man-crushes" from straight male coworkers and neighbors.
This too!

SnakePlissken

Post by SnakePlissken » Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:40 am

@mgil @Hardartery @Renascent
Thank yall for the kind words. Its a nasty disease so things like that are a really big improvement.

zappey1

Post by zappey1 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:23 pm

SnakePlissken wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 4:40 am @mgil @Hardartery @Renascent
Thank yall for the kind words. Its a nasty disease so things like that are a really big improvement.
Lifting (if done in a healthy way) can really cure or help with so many things! I wish my wife would take lifting more seriously. She is always on fad plans that yield results but are unstainable long term.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:59 am

Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:46 pm
Hardartery wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:11 pm I have been told multiple times that I look like Jean Claude Van Damm. One guy that I saw frequently started calling me that. Amazingly, none of these people appeared to be on drugs, and I do not in any way see the resemblance. Nor can I do the splits.
I've gotten Paul Wight (Big Show from WWE), Adam Scherr (Braun Strowman, again WWE), and more recently that actor Ethan Suplee (I'm hoping they meant his 'after' stage).

Basically any bearded man of a large or imposing stature is who I get...

CheekiBreekiFitness

Post by CheekiBreekiFitness » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:27 am

mouse wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:59 am
Renascent wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:46 pm
I've gotten Paul Wight (Big Show from WWE), Adam Scherr (Braun Strowman, again WWE), and more recently that actor Ethan Suplee (I'm hoping they meant his 'after' stage).

Basically any bearded man of a large or imposing stature is who I get...
I've gotten Rick Moranis. I'm not sure whether this is appropriate for the thread ...

cole

Post by cole » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:18 am

I've never been mistaken for a celeb, or been hit on by a dude. Been hit on by plenty of older ladies, and actually banged one of my moms friends back when I was in my early 20s. I have however been asked on occasion if I play football and for which team. Thats always a compliment

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:33 am

cole wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:18 am I've never been mistaken for a celeb,
I have been told twice I look like Bruce Willis.....twice / from two different women....oddly enough, both of them were Africian American women.
(maybe they think all "white guys look the same"). There is not a huge black population where I'm at.

Anyways .... Problem is/was, this was only like 4 or 5 years ago and
I think they likely meant this Bruce WillisShow

not THIS bruce willisShow