Dumbbells setup for 10-170

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

KOTJ
Superstar

Dumbbells setup for 10-170

Post by KOTJ » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:19 am

I have fixed weight dumbbells from 10-55lbs. I highly recommend fixed weight dumbbells that can be dropped without breaking, for 10 through whatever you'll for exercises like dumbbell flys and curls.

I considered Ironmasters, but you still have to unthread the end caps to load weights. The cost for Ironmasters isn't cheap either, for an adjustable dumbbell setup. You also can't use their weights on a barbell...meanwhile I can have my weights setup for multiple lifters and lifts, when not using dumbbells.

All the "quick adjust" won't be as durable, especially buy it for life. They also don't go as heavy. And the Canadian iron quick adjust options are expensive as well.

My setup uses spring clips or collars, and is just as secure. Using collars is also very fast.

The Weight It Out loadable dumbbell handle is 16", with about 5" loading space, and weighs 11lbs (11.3ish). You can use other brands, but in my experience, over 16" can limit ROM for pressing exercises.

The thickness/width of the Weight It Out plates is the magic for this setup. You'll probably be fine with traditional 25lb plates, but it may affect ROM. I ordered a bunch of 10s, 5s, and 2.5s.

Spot Grips or hammock straps will hold/suspend your dumbbells, so you don't need to worry about kicking up the small contact area of adjustable dumbbell handles. Also good if you already have fixed weight dumbbells but have an injury that messes with kicking up the weights, or if you want all bench press variations to start from a racked position, because it's the most effective way to train.

Spot Grips are actual safeties that go through the full ROM of the lift, but are $500 vs $20 hammock straps. Since my setup is home gym for life, I went with Spot Grips...you can also use them with a barbell, but I'll never use that.

I keep 25lb loaded on each side, for a starting weight of 60 (61-62). I use 10lb plates x 2, and a 5lb plate x 1.

10lb plate width= 0.5" ....height is 9.9" (9 7/8").
This is about 1.5" shorter than my Olympic 25lb plates

5lb plate width= 0.375" (3/8)

Picture shows 75lb loaded on side, so total weight would be 160 (161-62). With spring collars, I could probably fit around 180lb.

Spot Grips weigh about 10lb (random online said they assist 2lb on the weigh up) so about 190lbs is what I could fit. They're also the best safeties/spotters for dumbbells. Sometimes shit goes wonky, or you don't want to dumb steel onto your power rack.

I'll have a stand/attachment made, so the dumbbell handle is supported, allowing for quick change of the plates.

Total cost for everything is thousands less than fixed dumbbells from just 10-110, and within a few hundred (depending on weight amount) to Ironmasters, and a similar weight change time to Ironmaster (but I can use these plates for barbells too). These are all solid, milled steel. No worry about dropping and breaking, like quick adjust.

In case you're looking for the most cost effective dumbbell setup with safeties for 10-180ish lbs.

Skid

Re: Dumbbells setup for 10-170

Post by Skid » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:13 pm

I've got the same set of rubber coated hexagon dumbbells up to 50 pounds as you. I then made my own dumbbells from 55 pounds going up in 10 pound increments to now 105 pounds.

I bought the machined DB bars for cheap (available in various lengths) and 10 pound plates from the local fitness depot store. I added the weights to mark the length of the dumbbell, cut to length, then welded a heavy duty washer on the ends to keep the weights from falling off. For a while the 1" diameter plates were cheap at around 50 cents a pound. I even found a hundred fifty pounds of almost new 10 pound and smaller plates at the dump.

I wouldn't go any larger than 10 pound plates as they interfere with range of motion. I bought some 120 pound rubber coated hexagon DB's and dislike them as they are too large in diameter compared to 10 pound plates. You can see the difference in diameter at the end of this video:

KOTJ
Superstar

Re: Dumbbells setup for 10-170

Post by KOTJ » Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:53 pm

@Skid that is a sweet setup for dumbbells. It is ridiculous how rare it is to see dumbbell holders or safeties for the actual lifts.

I need to determine the stands I'll use for my adjustable dumbbells. I was planning on something in the back of my rack (free standing, so the base extends about 1' beyong the rear uprights, but to save space I store my adjustable bench vertically against the wall.

I guess I could have someone modify/fabricate j cups to rest the entire length of the db handles on; that way I can change weights more efficiently.

Granted, my strength is in crawling back from the garbage currently.