USPA now charging to be on "approved equipment" list

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Cody
Equipment Guru

USPA now charging to be on "approved equipment" list

Post by Cody » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:13 pm

It's currently not nearly as ridiculous as IPF, but it will no doubt increase in short order.

https://www.reddit.com/r/powerlifting/c ... _on_their/

From the USPA Rulebook, 2017 Updates - http://uspa.net/rule_updates.html.

Part 12. APPROVED EQUIPMENT LIST (USPA Rulebook)

Item 1. Approved Equipment list

12.1.1 The latest edition of the USPA Rule Book posted on uspa.net contains the final list of all lifting apparel/equipment approved for use at all USPA sanctioned competitions in the current calendar year. The next publication will be in January next year

12.1.2 No additional apparel/equipment will be reviewed or considered for approval until the next review period starting September 1st and ending December 1st of the current calendar year.

12.1.3 Manufacturers must submit samples with a $100.00 non-refundable administrative fee to the USPA Technical Chairman during the review period to make sure their equipment complies with required specifications. If the submitted samples do not comply, the manufacturer will be notified of the specific deficiency so they can take corrective action if they choose. If the samples pass inspection, the items will be added to the Approved Equipment List. Any vendor that sends equipment to the USPA for inspection must pay all return shipping costs within 30 days if they want the item(s) returned, otherwise the items will be discarded.

12.1.4 All manufacturers who would like to remain on the Approved Equipment List for future editions of the USPA Rule Book will be subject to an annual fee of $500 for the 1st item category and $250 for each additional category, payable no later than December 1st of the year preceding publication.

chromoly
Magneto

Re: USPA now charging to be on "approved equipment" list

Post by chromoly » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:46 pm

It's all USPA sanctioned meets too. Complain as I will about the Oi Pee Eff, at least the USAPL local meets don't require that you have equipment off of the approved list.

OCG

Post by OCG » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Yeah, I think trying to be more like the IPF is really not a step in the right direction. I'm also trying to thing crappy equipment other than bars and racks and maybe shoes could really be a safety issue. If some clueless newb is using some shitty $20 belt does it really matter?

chromoly
Magneto

Post by chromoly » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:53 pm

OCG wrote:If some clueless newb is using some shitty $20 belt does it really matter?
Of course not. But this is about making money. Both the USPA and the "approved brands" stand to profit.

chrisd

Post by chrisd » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:53 am

OCG wrote:Yeah, I think trying to be more like the IPF is really not a step in the right direction. I'm also trying to thing crappy equipment other than bars and racks and maybe shoes could really be a safety issue. If some clueless newb is using some shitty $20 belt does it really matter?
Possibly it's about some newb using a six inch belt with built in servomotors and muscle stimulators.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:21 am

Heh, I was going to try a USPA meet. Now I guess I won't. :-) I am sure some of my lifting gear isn't approved (like my 3" DL belt).

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:27 am

Belts don't have a fee, and Pioneer is actually on the list for this year.

That doesn't mean it isn't bullshit though. This isn't professional sports, and it isn't paying big cash prizes. This type of bullshit is why there are a dozen federations.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 am

Cody wrote:Belts don't have a fee, and Pioneer is actually on the list for this year.

That doesn't mean it isn't bullshit though. This isn't professional sports, and it isn't paying big cash prizes. This type of bullshit is why there are a dozen federations.
Yeah, it is total BS. I don't mind having equipment rules, where the items need to meet certain specs, but it shouldn't be company specific based on who paid to be on the list.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:31 am

chrisd wrote: Possibly it's about some newb using a six inch belt with built in servomotors and muscle stimulators.
No, it's got nothing to do with that at all. Your equipment still had to meet the technical specs laid out in the handbook/manual. This includes socks, singlets, shirts, wraps, sleeves, belts, barbells, plates, etc etc. This is literally a shake down of the companies that want to sell to the lifters in this federation. The fee will absolutely be baked into the price of the equipment.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 am

Les wrote: Yeah, it is total BS. I don't mind having equipment rules, where the items need to meet certain specs, but it shouldn't be company specific based on who paid to be on the list.
This. So much this. Standardizing and enforcing specs is a good thing. Only allowing sponsored brands in an amateur sport is ridiculous.

Manveer
M3N4C3

Post by Manveer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:43 am

Cody wrote:
Les wrote: Yeah, it is total BS. I don't mind having equipment rules, where the items need to meet certain specs, but it shouldn't be company specific based on who paid to be on the list.
This. So much this. Standardizing and enforcing specs is a good thing. Only allowing sponsored brands in an amateur sport is ridiculous.
Having a list of approved products makes equipment checks easier. Unfortunately not all volunteers working the equipment check table know the rules inside and out, so it's easier to just have a list to check against.

I don't think the high fees to evaluate products or list them on the approved list are justified, but having a list does make equipment checks more straightforward.

Les
Kitten

Post by Les » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:57 am

Manveer wrote:
Cody wrote:
Having a list of approved products makes equipment checks easier. Unfortunately not all volunteers working the equipment check table know the rules inside and out, so it's easier to just have a list to check against.

I don't think the high fees to evaluate products or list them on the approved list are justified, but having a list does make equipment checks more straightforward.
Maybe a hybrid version would work. You could have a "fast pass" for all approved equipment. So if it is on the list you are good to go. If it is not on the list, then the more senior officials at the meet could check those specific items.

Just to add: a lot of people do have approved items just by buying the larger brand name stuff. But if you are someone like me that wants a 3" belt for deadlifts for a good price (I got mine for 60 some bucks), it is trickier. It is legal, so I should be able to use it.

OCG

Post by OCG » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:29 pm

Manveer wrote:
Cody wrote:

If your refs and officials can't inspect a damn belt, they're probably going to have a lot more trouble judging a squat, or running a decent meet.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:54 pm

OCG wrote:
Manveer wrote:
Cody wrote:

If your refs and officials can't inspect a damn belt, they're probably going to have a lot more trouble judging a squat, or running a decent meet.
That might be a stretch. Sometimes the equipment check line at a meet is long as it is, and I can't imagine refs/volunteers sitting there with calipers and measuring tape making sure that every belt, wrist wrap and knee sleeve is within spec.

Then again, Cody said the SBD belt was approved before it was even made and it's been shown to be thicker than 13mm. But being on the list makes it easy to see and say, "Yup, that's approved."

Moreover, my SBD belt has a lot of overlap to it because I'm down to the 3rd or 4th hole depending on the lift. So I have about 6" of the belt overlapping, totaling well over an inch in thickness where it overlaps. And I have the belt tightened to about 37" around when I'm wearing it, that's almost 20% of the belt circumference that is over an inch thick while I'm wearing it.

OCG

Post by OCG » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:27 pm

d0uevenlift wrote:That might be a stretch. Sometimes the equipment check line at a meet is long as it is, and I can't imagine refs/volunteers sitting there with calipers and measuring tape making sure that every belt, wrist wrap and knee sleeve is within spec.
That's why you have a tape measure taped to the bench, and why you get familiar with most major brands. It's an organisational issue and it's not one that requires a hugely expensive approval list.
d0uevenlift wrote:Then again, Cody said the SBD belt was approved before it was even made and it's been shown to be thicker than 13mm.
Oh? Interesting.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:08 am

OCG wrote:That's why you have a tape measure taped to the bench, and why you get familiar with most major brands. It's an organisational issue and it's not one that requires a hugely expensive approval list.
Many of the biggest (and approved) brands have 0 labeling denoting what brand the belt is. The overwhelming majority of folks couldn't tell the difference between an Inzer and a Best Belt, and those are pretty plain/generic.
Oh? Interesting.
Again, the majority of belts aren't the exact measurements you think they are. Leather is a naturally variable product. One leather bend can have several different thicknesses along the hide.

Most companies aren't going through the extra step of splitting the hide to the exact thickness. They just say "this shoulder is 3.5-4mm, so 3 layers and a bit of suede will do the trick." Some of those belts will come our 11.5mm, some will come out 14mm, many will fall inbetween.

One major brand of belt only uses one leather piece with varying thicknesses of leather board (like leather plywood) to determine "10mm" or "13mm", but every 10mm we've measured from that brand has come out to. >=11mm. Every one.

d0uevenlift
Paparazzo

Post by d0uevenlift » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:59 am

I see "like leather plywood" and I'll always think Inzer.

Cody
Equipment Guru

Post by Cody » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:21 am

d0uevenlift wrote:I see "like leather plywood" and I'll always think Inzer.
That might or might not be who I'm referring to. I mean, it is. But it might not be. /waves hands like a mystic