New Domain Blocked

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

Hiphopapotamus

New Domain Blocked

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:29 am

It looks like the domain is now ".co" instead of ".com" We have a web filter at work (Fortis) that doesn't like this. Any ideas on how to work around Big Brother?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: New Domain Blocked

Post by mgil » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:47 am

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:29 am It looks like the domain is now ".co" instead of ".com" We have a web filter at work (Fortis) that doesn't like this. Any ideas on how to work around Big Brother?
That sucks. I know that @BenM is working towards moving the site back to the old domain soon.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:06 am

Hiphopapotamus wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:29 am It looks like the domain is now ".co" instead of ".com" We have a web filter at work (Fortis) that doesn't like this. Any ideas on how to work around Big Brother?
Hell, my work used to throw up a "sexually explicit webpage" warning if there were too many "fucks" written out on a page.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:10 pm

I thought it was just me at first.

I did get a lot more work done than usual yesterday, though.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:48 pm

Unfortunately, there isn't anything I can do about that I don't think. Fortis may have a form you can use to submit it as a mistake - the domain has never had any content on it at all until I fired up the site this week, so it's never had anything malicious or inappropriate on it.

As soon as Marc gives me the details I'll be reinstating the old domain, hopefully in the next day or so. I'll give him another nudge.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:59 pm

Work filters are fucking strange.

I could still pull up Rogue's website on Friday, and even get image results featuring Steve Reeves's scantily-covered dong if I google "sartorius."

I could probably even read some CnP articles via the desktop if I felt daring enough to risk unemployment.

But, noooo... Exodus is now a no-no, apparently.

At any rate, thanks @BenM!

BenM

Post by BenM » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:14 pm

Yeah, so from a quick google, it looks like Fortis don't use a central database to determine what sites are bad or not, so the only way to fix it in the firewall is.... to have access to the firewall.

I've just done a security scan of the site through an external site and it didn't find any issues, nor did it find the site was blacklisted anywhere, so Fortis is just... wrong, most likely.

Anyway I did just ping Marc and he said he is going to change the nameservers this evening so that the .com will point here. That change may take a few hours to take effect, but once it all goes through the .com should be live again.

DCR

Post by DCR » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:37 am

Since the site came back online, it’s remembered what I’ve read / not read from one login to the next. That’s never been the case before and has been welcome.

BenM

Post by BenM » Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:48 am

DCR wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:37 am Since the site came back online, it’s remembered what I’ve read / not read from one login to the next. That’s never been the case before and has been welcome.
Oh yeah. That has annoyed the crap out of me for years!

There's a setting that tells the forum to either store that read/unread information in the database, or in a file on your computer (a cookie). Pretty sure the database is the norm, but Marc switched it to the other setting some years ago in an attempt to reduce load on the server and keep the web host happy. And I don't think it's ever worked properly since.

Anyway - I don't see any reason why it would cause an issue on the new host so I changed it back yesterday. That seems to have sorted the issue :)

If it causes issues then I'll have to review it, but so far so good.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:08 am

That's good news about the .com working soon. I'll see if it works tomorrow. Thanks to all you unsung heroes who keep this site working!

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:14 am

BenM wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:48 am
DCR wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:37 am Since the site came back online, it’s remembered what I’ve read / not read from one login to the next. That’s never been the case before and has been welcome.

There's a setting that tells the forum to either store that read/unread information in the database, or in a file on your computer (a cookie). Pretty sure the database is the norm, but Marc switched it to the other setting some years ago in an attempt to reduce load on the server and keep the web host happy. And I don't think it's ever worked properly since.

Anyway - I don't see any reason why it would cause an issue on the new host so I changed it back yesterday. That seems to have sorted the issue :)

Yeah, Host Gator was terrible about semiannually telling us that we were using to much server cpu or some nonsense and I’m guessing that was a casualty from one of those events.

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:14 am

mgil wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:14 am
BenM wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:48 am

Yeah, Host Gator was terrible about semiannually telling us that we were using to much server cpu or some nonsense and I’m guessing that was a casualty from one of those events.
That was my understanding too. I hope that on the new hosting we won't have the same issues, but we'll see :)

Cross posting here in the hope that everyone sees it, too:

We've just reinstated the previous exodus-strength.com domain name. It should start working again within the next 24 hours.

As such, I've changed the cookie domain of this site back to exodus-strength.com (rather than .co) - I found that for me, that broke my ability to login until I cleared my browser cache.

If you're having trouble logging in, please clear your cache and hopefully all will be well; and very soon we all should be able to access this site via the .com like before.

slowmotion

Post by slowmotion » Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:22 am

Login worked for me after I figured out that I had to clear the cache. Thanks @BenM !

BenM

Post by BenM » Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:35 am

slowmotion wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:22 am Login worked for me after I figured out that I had to clear the cache. Thanks @BenM !
Thanks Jan. Glad it's working for someone!

I'm still having weird redirection issues on my phone but hopefully it's just a caching thing and will sort itself out.

Hiphopapotamus

Post by Hiphopapotamus » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:09 am

It's pointing at the .com domain again for me now as well. Suck it, Fortis! Thanks for helping to lower my productivity.