Socks?

This is the polite off topic forum. If you’re looking to talk smack and spew nonsense, keep moving along.

Moderators: mgil, chromoly

GrainsAndGains

Re: Socks?

Post by GrainsAndGains » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:23 pm

Inverstone wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:13 pm Any feedback on the briefs or boxers that let you park yer junk in one pocket and the "boys" in the other? Is it more comfortable when active (training) or just a gimmick? Interested in chafe reduction, avoidance if those work that way.
For chafe reduction, compression shorts or boxers are the way to go. They're a little tight but I'd rather have mildly tight underwear than skin chafing on a hot, humid day.

I got mine from Dick's Sporting Goods and they work pretty well, I've taken them on a few long hiking trips and they've saved me a lot of pain.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:19 pm

Root wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:24 pm they provide zero scrotum-thigh separation
I have perfectly adequate separation.

You'll have to post pics.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:46 pm

So I ordered one lightweight and one midweight pair of 1/4 from darn tough. Cushioned.

Pretty impressed with how they feel. Never worn wool socks before. If they last 2 years they will be my new go to socks.

So now that I like merino wool socks, who makes merino wool underwear, and shirts?? Same quality as Vermont tough, and preferably us made

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:54 am

Oldandfat wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:46 pm So I ordered one lightweight and one midweight pair of 1/4 from darn tough. Cushioned.

Pretty impressed with how they feel. Never worn wool socks before. If they last 2 years they will be my new go to socks.

So now that I like merino wool socks, who makes merino wool underwear, and shirts?? Same quality as Vermont tough, and preferably us made
Ibex (I think) is made in the US. $$$$$$$ though.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:17 am

Ibex says some of their stuff isn’t us made. With their pricing it should be. Looks like nice stuff.

I may try a pair of underwear and a shirt. Kinda hard to,wrap my head around the pricing,but I never thought I’d pay 19 bucks for a pair of socks.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:48 am

Oldandfat wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:46 pm So I ordered one lightweight and one midweight pair of 1/4 from darn tough. Cushioned.

I have to plug Duckworth, a tiny company in my hometown. Their products are absolutely amazing. I highly, highly recommend their button down flannel shirts (not currently available....but hopefully soon).

Expensive as hell, but worth it (their wool is from Montana and everything is US made).

https://www.duckworthco.com/

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:24 am

I would think they'll give you at least two years.

I put on my oldest pair earlier this week, and discovered one of them finally has a hole in it.

I don't think they even make the particular sock anymore, but I'm still tempted to mail it off to Vermont and see what happens.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:37 am

Hanley wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:48 am

I have to plug Duckworth, a tiny company in my hometown. Their products are absolutely amazing. I highly, highly recommend their button down flannel shirts (not currently available....but hopefully soon).

Expensive as hell, but worth it (their wool is from Montana and everything is US made).

Definitely on my radar, but Unfortunately a lot of their stuff is out of stock.

I’d like to try their vapor briefs, And shirts.

Looks like their stuff is a blend of merino and other. I found a company that does almost 100% merino. Any advantage?

Darn tough isn’t 100 merino,and I like their socks.
Last edited by Oldandfat on Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 am

Renascent wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:24 am

I would think they'll give you at least two years.

I put on my oldest pair earlier this week, and discovered one of them finally has a hole in it.

I don't think they even make the particular sock anymore, but I'm still tempted to mail it off to Vermont and see what happens.
Anything more than 2 years is a bonus. I’m lucky to get a year out of “6 pack o socks from Walmart for 10 bucks”

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:33 pm

Oldandfat wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:38 amAnything more than 2 years is a bonus. I’m lucky to get a year out of “6 pack o socks from Walmart for 10 bucks”
A former employee bought me a huge pack of socks for some occasion I can't recall. She was very proud of the fact that they were Levi's, which I didn't think much of, though I didn't say so to avoid being rude.

That was years ago. I still wear them when laundry gets backlogged (Darn Tough stuff still feels like an extravagance, since I have so few). I hate ankle socks, but they're still as plump as the day I was gifted with them, so I can't bring myself to throw them away just yet. I guess there was some merit to all of her boasting about the quality.

My interest is piqued about this merino wool underwear idea, though...

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:28 am

So I’ve been wearing 2 different pairs of darn tough. A light weight, and a mid weight. Very nice socks. Comfortable, and very much moisture wicking. Still wrapping my head around 19 bucks a pair.

If they’re good with the lifetime warranty it makes sense.

Very curious about duckworth. Problem is they seem to be out of stock on many things.

Hanley (how do I do the red name thing?) how is your experience ordering from duckworth? Do they have a retail location?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:45 am

Oldandfat wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:28 am So I’ve been wearing 2 different pairs of darn tough. A light weight, and a mid weight. Very nice socks. Comfortable, and very much moisture wicking. Still wrapping my head around 19 bucks a pair.

Very curious about duckworth. Problem is they seem to be out of stock on many things.

Hanley (how do I do the red name thing?) how is your experience ordering from duckworth? Do they have a retail location?
Gotta use the "mention" tag in front and behind the name of the user you're tagging.

Ex: [mentin]Renascent[/mentin].

(Of course, "mention" has to be spelled correctly; I just altered it above to avoid tagging myself.)

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:39 am

Renascent wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:45 am
Oldandfat wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:28 am So I’ve been wearing 2 different pairs of darn tough. A light weight, and a mid weight. Very nice socks. Comfortable, and very much moisture wicking. Still wrapping my head around 19 bucks a pair.

Gotta use the "mention" tag in front and behind the name of the user you're tagging.

(Of course, "mention" has to be spelled correctly; I just altered it above to avoid tagging myself.)
Thanks for that! Btw how do you learn all that “internet type shit” to post on forums?

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:44 am

Oldandfat wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:39 am
Renascent wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:45 am

Thanks for that! Btw how do you learn all that “internet type shit” to post on forums?
Click the quote button on other people's posts as if you're going to reply, and then see which tags they used.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:07 am

Hanley wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:48 am

So I picked up some vapor underwear, and tshirts. So,far so good. Other than some dye coming out in the wash all good.

Hanley do,you wear a lot of their stuff? Pick your brain?

1. Are they always sold out? I wanted to order more stuff but they seem real hit and miss as to what’s available. Covid?

2. I never use delicate cycle. I just throw that stuff in a mesh bag. That ok?

Tshirts are too thin for me to wear casually but for sweating they are very comfortable. Night and day from cotton and the soggy damp feeling. Dries quick.

Scared to do squats with this shirt. 65 bucks so I’m afraid of the Ohio pb knurling chewing the shirt.

I,really like the “sheep to shelf” aspect. Not an absolute deciding,factor, but if I can support such a company, why not?

I also,ordered a pair of socks. Still liking my,darn toughs, and I also picked up more Duluth socks. I think I may have gotten a bad batch or something. Everything on the shelf seemed to be of the quality I originally experienced.

(Which “thingies” do I use to specifically tag someone? (Red handle)