Tip for people that film a lot of sets

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

OverheadDeadlifts

Tip for people that film a lot of sets

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:34 am

Was using somebody else’s spare phone after mine broke last week. It had a lovely floral flip case which, when I went to prop the phone up on an unused squat stand like usual, stuck itself to the squat stand. The case is magnetic.

Honestly I’m shocked I never thought of it. 10 years of propping my phone up on ledges and having it fall over midset, training in different gyms and struggling to find a good place to film from. Now every rack, plate, machine, weight tree, bench, metal wall/roof/column etc is a minutely adjustable place to film from.

Maybe I’m late to the party on this one but hopefully someone else benefits from the idea.

Renascent
Desperado

Re: Tip for people that film a lot of sets

Post by Renascent » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:11 am

Stupid question/comment incoming: do magnets not pose the same danger for phones that they do (or once did?) for computers? Are magnets just the enemy of really outdated storage media?

I found myself finally wishing I had a tripod yesterday when my phone kept falling over or the lens would blur out of focus mid-set.

alek

Post by alek » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:24 am

This is the setup I’ve used for years now. It’s an ultra-pod II with a selfie attachment screwed on. It was around $20 from Amazon I think.

It’ll do landscape or portrait view, and the velcro allows you to strap to stuff.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:30 pm

Absent a tripod I use a three or four board. Or my drink bottle as a prop.

OverheadDeadlifts

Post by OverheadDeadlifts » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:01 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:11 am Stupid question/comment incoming: do magnets not pose the same danger for phones that they do (or once did?) for computers? Are magnets just the enemy of really outdated storage media?
I think it would have to be a very strong magnet, certainly much stronger than a magnetic strip. SSDs are probably more magnet proof than HDDs as well.
alek wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:24 am This is the setup I’ve used for years now. It’s an ultra-pod II with a selfie attachment screwed on. It was around $20 from Amazon I think.
Yeah I’ve used a couple tripods in the past including a gorilla pod style one. Was good in the home gym since I could rig chairs and boxes etc into any height or position I wanted. The problem was more in commercial gyms with unfortunate layouts. Only good option in my last gym was the one plyo box they had, which was frequently in use. Also have to carry the tripod around, remember not to leave it, the occasional person picking it up midset and going ‘ooh what’s this?’. Not saying tripods aren’t good, they might even be better if there aren’t metal things at favourable angles.
MarkKO wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:30 pm Absent a tripod I use a three or four board. Or my drink bottle as a prop.
Oh shit, magnetic phone case + metal drink bottle = 2 in 1 bottle and tripod (well, unipod).

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:29 am

Renascent wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:11 am Stupid question/comment incoming: do magnets not pose the same danger for phones that they do (or once did?) for computers? Are magnets just the enemy of really outdated storage media?
I thought of that magnet issue too....

but then I got one of those Motophones ... 4 years ago .... that has the various add-on modular options that attach to the main phone body.
I got the super-giant extra battery that sticks on the back ...it can go forever with no charging. They also have a mini-TV-projector, etc.

All that shit is held on with a surprisingly strong magnets for quick attach/detach ... that magnet buried RIGHT in the guts or connector interface of the phone.