Rogue Invitational

Powerlifting, Olympic Weightlifting, Strongman, Highland Games

Moderator: Manveer

Hardartery

Rogue Invitational

Post by Hardartery » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:00 am

Livestream every day. Yesterday was Elephant Bar DL. Caron won that with a warmup weight for him. They are running it first, then the Crossfit stuff after so you can go to the beginning of the stream and see the part that matters then walk away. Last time I looked, Licis is leading overall in his return show, Novikov is tied for second. Gonna watch today's show later on, no time right now.

Hardartery

Re: Rogue Invitational

Post by Hardartery » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:20 pm

Licis stays in first to with stones to go. Tom Stoltman into second outright, Novikov third. I still say the Wheel of Pain is a stupid event, but whatever. It is unlikely that Novikov can catch Stoltman, and even less chance of catchong Licis. I didn't watch i yet, but apparently Novikov smoked the Cyr DB ladder.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:25 pm

Novikov essentially did a Bent Press with the 300. No one else got the 300, almost no one else got the 290. Most guys didn't get past the second Bell.

GlasgowJock

Post by GlasgowJock » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:13 am

Good to see Licis winning this one. The likes of him and Kieliszkowski on the strongman circuit injury free again for me adds legitimacy to WSM.

It's going to be a quality number of years seeing those two, Stoltman and Novikov competing.

Just a pity Thor chose to fanny about in his prime with boxing and online gaming rather than sticking around to potentially be another Shaw, Zavickas or Pudzian.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:34 pm

Well, there it is. 1 Licis
2 T Stoltman
3 Novikov
Licis beat Stoltman on the stones, by almost 6 seconds. Wow.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:15 am

Hardartery wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:34 pm Licis beat Stoltman on the stones, by almost 6 seconds. Wow.
Martins was out of the picture just long enough for people to forget how absolutely fast he can be at stones...

I'm very glad to have him back and I'm hoping he can get through 2022 without being hit by any cars or having another one of his internal organs explode...

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:54 am

I was one of those people who quit watching his videos last year when it seemed like it was always something new, and he appeared to be going the way of Brian Shaw, spending more time huckstering product than training. I was one of the doubters that didn't think he'd ever get back to the top. I was wrong, and I'm very glad of that fact. A focused, healthy Martins is a scary sight in these competitions. He's almost as statically strong as the biggest guys, but just so much more athletic. Last night I went back through his training videos leading up to the comp, and it was all there for anyone who watched. The ease with which he was one-motioning stones with only chalk by itself told you everything you need to know.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:08 am

lehman906 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:54 am I was one of those people who quit watching his videos last year when it seemed like it was always something new, and he appeared to be going the way of Brian Shaw, spending more time huckstering product than training. I was one of the doubters that didn't think he'd ever get back to the top. I was wrong, and I'm very glad of that fact. A focused, healthy Martins is a scary sight in these competitions. He's almost as statically strong as the biggest guys, but just so much more athletic. Last night I went back through his training videos leading up to the comp, and it was all there for anyone who watched. The ease with which he was one-motioning stones with only chalk by itself told you everything you need to know.
I fell off of his YT for a bit too but just seeing some of the stuff he put on IG I knew he was in a very good place... I think he's very very strategic about what he shows as far as training, whether he would admit it or not hahahaha...

lehman906

Post by lehman906 » Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:07 am

mouse wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:08 am
lehman906 wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:54 am I was one of those people who quit watching his videos last year when it seemed like it was always something new, and he appeared to be going the way of Brian Shaw, spending more time huckstering product than training. I was one of the doubters that didn't think he'd ever get back to the top. I was wrong, and I'm very glad of that fact. A focused, healthy Martins is a scary sight in these competitions. He's almost as statically strong as the biggest guys, but just so much more athletic. Last night I went back through his training videos leading up to the comp, and it was all there for anyone who watched. The ease with which he was one-motioning stones with only chalk by itself told you everything you need to know.
I fell off of his YT for a bit too but just seeing some of the stuff he put on IG I knew he was in a very good place... I think he's very very strategic about what he shows as far as training, whether he would admit it or not hahahaha...
Oh, he TOTALLY sandbags in the videos.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:25 am

I was not paying any attention at all for a bunch of years after I quit competing. I really have no feel for Licis outside of a handful of Youtube videos and this comp. Being fast on Stones is one thing, being fast on Inver replicas that went up to 420 lbs is another thing altogether. Only three guys got all 5, and Licis had to come no lower than second on the event to win. That was really just an insane run. Irregular stones are a very different animal than spheres, I am very impressed with that lifting. Most guys get crushed by that stuff, even if they are good at the regular stuff. It really shows a difference in fundamental strength versus skill.

mouse

Post by mouse » Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:08 pm

Hardartery wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:25 am I am very impressed with that lifting. Most guys get crushed by that stuff, even if they are good at the regular stuff.
He's very good at odd/natural stones, and stones in general. If I recall he was one of the only guys to shoulder the Odd Haugen stone at the Arnold... which was then completely overshadowed by Mateusz's performance lol