Knee sleeves or wraps

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

220Eric

Knee sleeves or wraps

Post by 220Eric » Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:04 am

I’m starting to get some pain in my knee from squatting. I’m going to try a knee sleeve or wrap. Should I get a sleeve or a wrap? Which brand do you like?

5hout

Re: Knee sleeves or wraps

Post by 5hout » Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:22 am

I'd suggest starting with a form check, just to be sure, then thin sleeves. I have Elite multi-ply sleeves, some random middle-weight neoprene sleeves, random thin fabric sleeves and Elite wraps.

The wraps are a lot of fun, but is very much a "lift bigger" not "lift pain free" move, unless you do them loose which seems like a ton of work. I like the Elite multi-ply sleeves for how well they stay up and how it straddles the pain free/ego line. I'd very much suggest starting with a thin neoprene sleeve, and if you have the budget the zip up ones can be nice (from what I've seen) for getting ones that fit tight enough to actually stay up. Regardless, carefully read the fit guide or you'll be pulling them up constantly.

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:34 pm

History of patella and tendon injury here. Squatting has in the past given me pain and soreness in the right patella area. Changes to programming, specifically managing the frequency/vol of work over ~80% made the biggest difference in letting me squat consistently with minimal discomfort.

I’ve used wraps in the past. They’re a lot of work, but give very good compression which is a nice sensation on crappy knees.

For sleeves, I went right to SBDs. I remember thinking “it feels like I’m squatting with giant marshmallows supporting my legs.” That is to say that they give support/feedback that’s very reassuring to the operator of aforementioned crappy knees. Can’t say for sure if they really work as a preventative.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:37 pm

220Eric wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:04 am I’m starting to get some pain in my knee from squatting. I’m going to try a knee sleeve or wrap. Should I get a sleeve or a wrap? Which brand do you like?
Sleeves. As mentioned, start cheap. You didn't describe the knee pain, but if it's tendonitis it's the warmth from wearing neoprene that helps more than the compression.

Oldandfat

Post by Oldandfat » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:35 pm

Sleeves for sure. And,as mentioned form check, and loading ‘programming.

I’m old and the sleeves make me feel good if anything n

220Eric

Post by 220Eric » Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:02 am

Thanks. I have been exclusively squatting low bar for years. I got a SSB and started using it. I felt the knee pain start with the start of using the SSB. I think the SSB was very productive but I blame it for my knee pain, and suddenly getting old. I don’t want to give the SSB a bad rap because I programmed it aggressively. I have quit the SSB and will try it again more cautiously once my knees feel better.
The pain is inside or medial to the kneecap and alongside down into the top of the shin. In both knees but one is worse than other depending on the day.
SBD? What thickness is allowed in raw meets? In case they become a permanent accessory. Any other recommended brands?

Video of me squatting-
https://youtube.com/shorts/ixICHWpcEgc?feature=share
Last edited by 220Eric on Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:58 am

Stoic is pretty well regarded. I have their elbow sleeves. Planned on getting the knee sleeves but they are surrently out of stock in my size so I ordered some new Rehbands to replace my old ones. Rehbands are pricy, but my current ones have held together for something like 8 years. Probably all stretched out, though.

FredM

Post by FredM » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:59 pm

I love my strong sleeves. Cured my knee pain with Ssb instantly. Let me add 80 lbs to my low bar through hammering ssb.

I don’t use them on anything else and noticed knee pain from split squats. After some research I started doing Nordic hamstring curls 2-3x a wk (no not the knees over toes guy). Took about a week to clear up my pain. Highly recommend as an assistance. I bought the spud strap fir $40 and it works great on my bench with a black band across my spotter arms to catch my fall.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:33 am

220Eric wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:02 am Thanks. I have been exclusively squatting low bar for years. I got a SSB and started using it. I felt the knee pain start with the start of using the SSB. I think the SSB was very productive but I blame it for my knee pain, and suddenly getting old. I don’t want to give the SSB a bad rap because I programmed it aggressively. I have quit the SSB and will try it again more cautiously once my knees feel better.
The pain is inside or medial to the kneecap and alongside down into the top of the shin. In both knees but one is worse than other depending on the day.
SBD? What thickness is allowed in raw meets? In case they become a permanent accessory. Any other recommended brands?

https://youtube.com/shorts/ixICHWpcEgc?feature=share
I get quadraceps tendonitis issues if I am using a lot of voume in squatting, which is a little tricky and vague to dagnose sometimes because it can trigger soreness and pain in other parts of the knee. Sleeves on normal squat training eliminates it. I'm not bothered by max work or low volume stuff, as long as I use them on the higher volume stuff. The ones I use offer no competitive advantage, so it's not an adjustment to squat without them if I were to do some sort of PL comp.

220Eric

Post by 220Eric » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:43 pm

Thanks for the help, everyone. I have a pair of SBD classic 7mm and on the way.