Calorie / Macro tracking apps

What's a carb? A car part? What's a macro? A type of camera lens?

Moderator: Manveer

TheGloriousW

Calorie / Macro tracking apps

Post by TheGloriousW » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:24 am

I received an email that SBS is creating their own macro tracking app. That started me thinking... I have been using Avator Nutrition, but is there anything better or cheaper out now?

JohnHelton

Re: Calorie / Macro tracking apps

Post by JohnHelton » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:32 am

I think it is the same price, but Layne Norton's Carbon seems to be getting some traction. I would be interested in know if anyone has any experience with both and can compare. I've used Avatar but not Carbon.

dw

Post by dw » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:36 am

You probably know about it but MyFitnessPal is the most common one.

It's fine for my purposes but the SBS one seems to designed specifically to improve on it.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:48 am

I've used MFP before. It is substantially different from Avatar and Carbon which are both IIFYM driven. Both adjust your macros in order for you to hit your goal (fat loss, muscle gain, maintenance, or reverse dieting). They also have a curated list of foods (3rd party sourced) without any input from users. That said you can enter your own foods, but those are only available to you. I know that SBS is planning the same approach to the food database.

Another cool feature of Avatar is that it can make adjustments to your macros mid-week if you go over/under in order for you to hit the numbers on average by the end of the week. I find this feature useful as I often miss on the weekend.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:39 pm

I've only ever used MFP and for what I want it works fine. However, there are definitely improvements that could be made to it and if I was going to pay for an app I would want them to be made.

IMO one thing that is useful is having accurate data for foods you put in, so a third party sourced curated list of foods would be good on any app.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:43 pm

MarkKO wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:39 pm I've only ever used MFP and for what I want it works fine. However, there are definitely improvements that could be made to it and if I was going to pay for an app I would want them to be made.

IMO one thing that is useful is having accurate data for foods you put in, so a third party sourced curated list of foods would be good on any app.
Nutritionix Track is a free app with a 3rd party food database. https://www.nutritionix.com/ I like it better than MFP for a tracker app that doesn't do the coaching thing.

MarkKO

Post by MarkKO » Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:51 pm

JohnHelton wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:43 pm
MarkKO wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:39 pm I've only ever used MFP and for what I want it works fine. However, there are definitely improvements that could be made to it and if I was going to pay for an app I would want them to be made.

Nutritionix Track is a free app with a 3rd party food database. https://www.nutritionix.com/ I like it better than MFP for a tracker app that doesn't do the coaching thing.
I may well check it out. If it's got an Australian food database that could be very helpful

Allentown
Likes Beer

Post by Allentown » Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:48 am

I like Carbon. Has been working well for me.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:16 pm

[DELETED]