Brake Rotor Deficit DL form check

Ask questions, post videos, help others not screw up

Moderators: mgil, d0uevenlift

EggMcMuffin

Brake Rotor Deficit DL form check

Post by EggMcMuffin » Tue May 11, 2021 4:16 am

Please god help me.

252lb, 4th set of 6 on GNUCKOLS Savage 2 Average program. I've been having trouble not literally taking chunks out of my shins and I'm not sure whether it's my garage being on an incline or if it's me fucking up. The bar feels like it actually drifts away on the descent, which is odd

Cellist

Re: Brake Rotor Deficit DL form check

Post by Cellist » Tue May 11, 2021 4:45 am

Looks good to me. Try knee-length socks.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 11, 2021 4:50 am

I have the exact same phenomenon when doing deficits for what it's worth. For me it comes from dropping my hips lower than they 'need' to be. I get away with on regular deads but deficits I'll push too far forward and into the bar. I have to be really cognisant of it.

It doesn't really look like you're doing that but try ditching the shoes and see if it clears up... if not... socks or (my personal favorite) a pair of knee sleeves pulled down.

Other than that I have no complaints or anything...

BostonRugger
Edging Lord

Post by BostonRugger » Tue May 11, 2021 4:55 am

These look good. Bar path doesn’t look bad to me. Maybe get socks like cellist said.

Brake rotor is a big brain move. You are strong and beautiful.

Hardartery

Post by Hardartery » Tue May 11, 2021 7:54 am

LoudMuffin wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:16 am Please god help me.

252lb, 4th set of 6 on GNUCKOLS Savage 2 Average program. I've been having trouble not literally taking chunks out of my shins and I'm not sure whether it's my garage being on an incline or if it's me fucking up. The bar feels like it actually drifts away on the descent, which is odd

It does not look wrong or odd. It looks about right. That's why DL socks exist. A little Icy Hot will also make the shins slicker so the bar slides better.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue May 11, 2021 8:02 am

So I would NOT sweat the mechanics of a variant or accessory lift too much .... as its different than the parent lift for reasons.
Yeah, you should over time, be able to correct for it ... but I don't know if there's even a problem in the first place.

Socks as others have said, I like long sweat pants, and/or tights. (might be hot tho)

These look fine

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue May 11, 2021 9:03 am

@LoudMuffin, your shins are getting nicked up because you’re pulling on a bar that still has lateral and/or rotational momentum.

Take a quick pause between reps to make sure everything settles and then pull again. Also, don’t rush the return to the floor, as some of the lockouts look soft. You can breathe at the top if this helps.

Renascent
Desperado

Post by Renascent » Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 am

Not sure what to make of the drifting sensation on the descent, but from looking at the right side of the bar, I'd guess it may have something to do with the level of the surface you're pulling from.

I pull outdoors on top of 3/8" plywood scraps to cover up holes I made in the naked dirt a year ago from deadlifting, and to offset the unevenness created by said craters. Occasionally, the wood will splinter in such a fashion that causes the bar to roll forward or backward at the bottom of each rep on one side. I have to check the bar with a box level between sets sometimes.

Like @mgil said, you may have to wait a moment or two between reps to allow the bar to resettle and stop moving. I find it to be a pain because it throws off my timing, but I think you end up wasting energy by fighting that Llateral rotation as you come up on the next pull before the bar comes to rest (hence a soft lockout).

Another option is to find something to act as a shim for the plates on the side that rolls. You don't want the plates to come down on top of your "shim" -- you just want to find something you can place near where you to expect to finish the rep to stop the excessive rolling (kinda like those cheap rubber doorstops with the slope).

Sometimes I get away with a small scrap of wood shaped like something you might stab a person with. Sometimes a small towel. At my old gym, we'd use a wad of folded paper towels because the floor had enough damage to cause that rolling/windmilling shit at the bottom of a rep.

It doesn't look like your form is causing any problems.

mouse

Post by mouse » Tue May 11, 2021 12:00 pm

Renascent wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:49 am Sometimes I get away with a small scrap of wood shaped like something you might stab a person with.
By far my favorite description of a DIY wedge ever.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed May 12, 2021 12:39 pm

alibaba express has really cheap knee sleeves - under $20.00 including direct shipping - you can use as shin savers. Long socks work but I have tore up a few pairs of them and still took chunks out of my legs because I suck at everything lifting related; never had an issue with blood or tissue loss using knees sleeves on my shins.

DCR

Post by DCR » Wed May 12, 2021 8:46 pm

@LoudMuffin, you’re initiating the descent with hips and knees together, and so your knees are kicking forward and getting smashed by the bar on its way down. You should be initiating the descent with hips extension first - the exact opposite of how you finish the pull at the top - and you’ll find that the bar will fall straight down in front of your knees/shins.

I don’t actually do that myself because my back is a cunt and I’m basically squatting with a bar in my hands at this point, but I’ve accepted the knee and shin carnage that comes with doing so.