Burnt out on training?

All training and programming related queries and banter here

Moderators: mgil, chromoly, Manveer

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Burnt out on training?

Post by mgil » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:49 pm

It’s cool. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Do something else for a while.

QED

DanCR

Re: Burnt out on training?

Post by DanCR » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:12 pm

I’ve found over the years that I get burnt for one of two reasons:

(1) the stress of chasing PRs (which has gotta be the most first world problem that one could have); or

(2) when volume gets too high, general dread of spending two and a half fucking hours in the gym/stressing whether I’ll be able to get it done in my day.

When those things happen, I respectively (1) hold the top end steady and work on base building, or (2) lower the volume and temporarily increase intensity, sometimes via load but usually with paused reps or some other form based thing.

In other words, to paraphrase you, I do something else other than what’s currently sucking.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:16 pm

I try to adhere to a general hierarchy:

Doing Nothing < Doing Something < Having some kind of plan < Having a well thought-out plan.

We'll slide up and down the spectrum, but as long as we avoid the "doing nothing" part we're better off than we otherwise would be.

KyleSchuant
Take It Easy

Post by KyleSchuant » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:21 pm

I like Testiclaw's scheme there.

I mean, if you just squat the empty bar a few times every day, you'll probably never need a walking frame. And that's something. Not great, but it's something.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:21 pm

KyleSchuant wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:21 pm I like Testiclaw's scheme there.

I mean, if you just squat the empty bar a few times every day, you'll probably never need a walking frame. And that's something. Not great, but it's something.
And you can be even more "un-optimal" than that.

You might go through a phase where you just squat and do push-ups. Fine.

Or KB swings and chins. Fine.

Or swim and stretch. Fine.

Etc., etc.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:22 am

The essence of my original post is that changing modalities or whatever it’s called should be done guilt free.

broseph
High Fiber

Post by broseph » Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:59 am

Too many people treat “training” like a job. Specifically, a job where the fate of the universe is on the line.

It’s just a hobby with some health benefits, and the health benefits are not unique to your ultra specific modality. If you’re going to be devastated about not getting ultra specific results, you need to treat it like a fate-of-the-universe-job. Otherwise, treat it like any other hobby.

If you’re sick of tying flies, go slam some bass. If you’re getting fat, injured, and frustrated trying to add 5 pounds to your squat, go do some bodybuilding or calisthenics. Enjoy your fucking hobby, idiot.

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:05 am

Just need to structure your macrocycle

Block A:
Bodybuilding/hypertrophy

Block B:
Strength

Block C:
Buy gym shit

Block D:
Buy more gym shit

omaniphil

Post by omaniphil » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:10 am

broseph wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:59 am Enjoy your fucking hobby, idiot.

Absolutely right. I Marie Kondo'ed my exercise pursuits. I squatting and deadlifting started giving me pain over a year ago. Turns out I don't mind not squatting and deadlifting. Been benching, bro-ing out, biking and doing other things that bring me joy. Fuck voluntary hardship.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:40 am

Take deloads and switch stuff up for fun. If you still dream of PRs, hypertrophy works wonders in the end. It can also be a great mental break from straining under heavy loads.

gymdad150

Post by gymdad150 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:28 am

mgil wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:49 pm It’s cool. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Do something else for a while.

QED
Yep, pretty much what Austin had me do while undergoing cancer treatments. Move the goalposts, do something that you've never done before, and having no frame of reference to past exploits, you're in new PR land (f that's what floats your boat).

OrderInChaos

Post by OrderInChaos » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:44 pm

Hanley wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:05 am Just need to structure your macrocycle

Block A:
Bodybuilding/hypertrophy

Block B:
Strength

Block C:
Buy gym shit

Block D:
Buy more gym shit
Regular Guy Periodization (Now with economic impact payments!)

Hanley
Strength Nerd

Post by Hanley » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:16 pm

OrderInChaos wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:44 pm
Hanley wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:05 am Just need to structure your macrocycle

Block A:
Bodybuilding/hypertrophy

Block B:
Strength

Block C:
Buy gym shit

Block D:
Buy more gym shit
Regular Guy Periodization (Now with economic impact payments!)
Indeed. I gotta RepOne coming...at some point

Hamburgerfan
Possibly Vegan

Post by Hamburgerfan » Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:24 pm

I feel this. Sticking with bicycles and kettlebells for a while. I’m sure I’ll go back to the barbells at some point, but this is fine.

Testiclaw

Post by Testiclaw » Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:55 pm

Hamburgerfan wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:24 pm I feel this. Sticking with bicycles and kettlebells for a while. I’m sure I’ll go back to the barbells at some point, but this is fine.
We got a DL bar and whatnot...I'm excited to put some work in with it.

But right now running, kettlebells, push-ups, and weird core work is keeping me entertained...so that's what I do.

JlHorsley

Post by JlHorsley » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:00 am

Help a guy out, folks.

I'm pretty damn tired of squatting. My knees tend to get a dull ache after doing them and I just don't generally take much satisfaction in doing them. What sorts of leg exercises do people enjoy doing other than squats?

On a related note, I've made a good deal of progress on my bench and deadlift since January, and I find that deeply satisfying. At the same time, I'm starting to get pretty curious about doing more calisthenics work. Can anyone help me get past the mental hangup that if I switch over to predominantly bodyweight training for a bit, I might lose the strength and (slight but noticeable) hypertrophy gains I've made over the past few months? There's not much about strength training that comes particularly easily to me, and I find that I have to work pretty hard for rather meager results, so I tend to overanalyze a bit when thinking about switching up programming.

JohnHelton

Post by JohnHelton » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:06 am

JlHorsley wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:00 am Help a guy out, folks.

I'm pretty damn tired of squatting. My knees tend to get a dull ache after doing them and I just don't generally take much satisfaction in doing them. What sorts of leg exercises do people enjoy doing other than squats?

On a related note, I've made a good deal of progress on my bench and deadlift since January, and I find that deeply satisfying. At the same time, I'm starting to get pretty curious about doing more calisthenics work. Can anyone help me get past the mental hangup that if I switch over to predominantly bodyweight training for a bit, I might lose the strength and (slight but noticeable) hypertrophy gains I've made over the past few months? There's not much about strength training that comes particularly easily to me, and I find that I have to work pretty hard for rather meager results, so I tend to overanalyze a bit when thinking about switching up programming.
I think you will lose strength with calisthenics, especially with the legs. Why not just train like a bodybuilder for awhile? Dump the squats and do leg curls, extensions and leg press. The hypertrophy work will help you when you come back to strength training. If you don't care about the strength and just want to take a break with calisthenics, that is fine too.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:20 am

Adding to @JohnHelton’s good advice, higher rep leg press might help with quad gains also. You might have to work with foot placement.

I’d also recommend a run of unilateral work for the legs. I like doing lunges and step ups when squats grow stale. These can be loaded and incremented as well.

Brackish

Post by Brackish » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:32 am

mgil wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:20 am Adding to @JohnHelton’s good advice, higher rep leg press might help with quad gains also. You might have to work with foot placement.

I’d also recommend a run of unilateral work for the legs. I like doing lunges and step ups when squats grow stale. These can be loaded and incremented as well.
I had pretty good success with this sort of thing with getting my quads to respond (get bigger). I was already squatting, leg pressing, etc. but my quads never got any bigger. Started with unilateral bodyweight calf raises and worked my way up with reps and weight over time, and I'm finally seeing my quads get bigger. Also recently saw an article talking about how effective things like lunges and step ups can be when it comes to hypertrophy.

Any theories as to why that is the case? My hot take - when you're lifting heavy (for you), you're focusing on moving the weight instead of whether or not you're actually using the muscles you want to get bigger.

JlHorsley

Post by JlHorsley » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:23 am

mgil wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:20 am Adding to @JohnHelton’s good advice, higher rep leg press might help with quad gains also. You might have to work with foot placement.

Dig it. I neglected to mention that I lift at home, so I don't have access to a leg press. Lately I've been pondering buying a cheap Planet Fitness membership just to have access to leg machines . . .