Powertec Compact Leg Sled?

Bands, chains, wraps, straps, racks... are you sure this is training related?

Moderators: mgil, Cody

Inverstone

Powertec Compact Leg Sled?

Post by Inverstone » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:53 pm

Anyone here own one in their home gym? Used one? Liked it hated it? Useful for a variation, etc.?

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Re: Powertec Compact Leg Sled?

Post by mgil » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:05 pm

I’m assuming you’re referencing this:

https://www.powertec.com/compact-leg-sled

I wouldn’t spend the money for that.

For equivalent space and cost, I’d get a belt squat rig. Edge fitness makes a couple. The deluxe model may be a bigger footprint than that sled:

https://edgefitnesssystems.com/products ... belt-squat

The standard model is a pretty small footprint and significantly less money:

gtl

Post by gtl » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:33 am

If you could find it used for half the cost, maybe? Web site reviews aren't great.

About 2 months BC (before Covid), I got my ProMaxima PL-21 leg press for $400 from a gym that was moving and didn't want to take it to their new location. I'm not sure I would've spent much more than $500 on a leg press though. Its nice to have, but I don't use it every programming cycle.

mbasic

Post by mbasic » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:55 am

mgil wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:05 pm
For equivalent space and cost, I’d get a belt squat rig. Edge fitness makes a couple. The deluxe model may be a bigger footprint than that sled:

The standard model is a pretty small footprint and significantly less money:

That's a super simple setup, as opposed to the bigger platform type.

.. it seems there would be an easy hack to use this as a seated calf raise unit too ...

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:56 am

@BenM had one that looked very similar, possibly just rebranded from the same manufacturer?

Jeff Alberts from 3DMJ (@3dmjgodfather on IG) has one if you want to see it in action.

I like it in theory because it’s compact and you’re moving your body weight so that should reduce how much weight you need for it. But the foot plate looks a little wobbly in Jeff’s videos which makes me question how sturdy it is. Also I think the weight horns aren’t very long so that might limit the loading but it also depends on plate thickness, rep range, your BW, and how strong you are so it’s tough to say if it’s an issue for you until you use it.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:19 am

What’s the angle? At 45 degrees you’re only lifting ~70% of the weight.

ETA: looking at photos, seems like the sled is closer to 30 degrees of elevation. That’s half the weight...

TimK
Much Mustache

Post by TimK » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:46 am

mgil wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:19 am What’s the angle? At 45 degrees you’re only lifting ~70% of the weight.

ETA: looking at photos, seems like the sled is closer to 30 degrees of elevation. That’s half the weight...
Yeah, so plus BW might just end up being similar to a 45 degree leg press anyway. Depending on BW. I’m not going to do the math. It’s still more compact though.

This just reminded me of that old video where Ronnie Coleman leg presses like 2300lbs... with knee wraps, on a 30 degree incline.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:55 am

So I did a little more research. Both the sled and the belt squat will take up a roughly 4’ x 6’ area. I think the belt squat needs more than that in terms of width for plate loading.

With at leas the Edge Fitness version, you can get a handle to perform one arm rows with and can add the handle for the Hatfield-esque squats. You can also play around with stance and mimic Jefferson squats as well. There’s also less inherent stability in this device, which I feel is a positive.

I primary versatility I see in the sled is some minimal foot position stuff and one leg work. The one legged stuff could be interesting.

BenM

Post by BenM » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:33 pm

Good memory @TimK - mine was the Megatec version (who have now rebranded to ATX) but yeah - I think it is virtually exactly the same machine. I noticed recently that Force USA also make one now.

I really loved it when I first got it, but the novelty wore off a little bit. It was solid enough - I didn't have any issues with the build quality for what it was (although my old commercial leg press with roller bearings ran a lot smoother than the sled did). I just outgrew it a little - I actually bought longer weight horns for it than what it came with but with my rubber coated plates I was doing 10+ reps with the maximum weight I could load on it. Then I started suffering some IT band issues (which I'm still working through) and it was mostly getting used for unilateral work and calf raises and stuff, so I sold it on. I've got a leg press attachment for my rack now which takes up less space and seems to give the same kind of stimulus, it's just a bit more mucking round to get set up.

Inverstone

Post by Inverstone » Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:46 am

Thanks guys. Good feedback and things to consider. Appreciate it.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:21 pm

I own an Edge Fitness Belt Squat and I kind of think one of those lever type attachments you connect to a rack (several companies make them now, including mom and pop with decent prices) would be as good for hundreds less, maybe half as much at this point.

But if you are set on a belt squat, it is a good choice. The Titan version sucks by comparison, especially if you are taller than 5"0 and want to get to depth. The Bells of Steel belt squat looks pretty good but I have never used one. There are other better examples but they are much more expensive with varying footprints, mostly greater than what you are looking at in terms of the sled and edge belt squat.

For a few hundred more dollars The Squat MD may be the best choice in terms of price and overall footprint. But $350.00 to $400.00 (and shipping may be greater due to it being a small company) is probably not worth the extra "gains" you may or may not get.

mgil
Shitpostmaster General

Post by mgil » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:01 pm

Good point about the rack attached levers.

TimGarvey

Post by TimGarvey » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:15 pm

I agree that a belt squat machine would likely be a better investment. Isn't the point of a leg sled to take the back out of the movement so you can blast your quads and glutes. If you have to hold on with her hands your back is still being fatigued. I have never used this type of machine personally, so just my opinion.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:23 pm

https://coahulla-iron.myshopify.com/pro ... attachment

Is a very good deal for a belt squat attachment and they will customize to your rack if necessary. With that said, they are way behind on orders and you will likely not get the product for a few(?*) months.

*I am still waiting on a custom order of offset arms from December. I am from the same town (about the same age) as one of the owners so I have been pretty lenient due to her being a classmate and she is cute, which means she likely had nothing to do with me back in high school and bad memories will now commence.

BigE

Post by BigE » Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:54 pm

What are the other options at the same price point? That could hopefully get shipped in a couple of weeks.
bobmen10000 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:23 pm https://coahulla-iron.myshopify.com/pro ... attachment

Is a very good deal for a belt squat attachment and they will customize to your rack if necessary. With that said, they are way behind on orders and you will likely not get the product for a few(?*) months.

*I am still waiting on a custom order of offset arms from December. I am from the same town (about the same age) as one of the owners so I have been pretty lenient due to her being a classmate and she is cute, which means she likely had nothing to do with me back in high school and bad memories will now commence.

murphyreedus

Post by murphyreedus » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:37 pm

I still like my DIY belt squat out of a 70" Titan crossmember, but I don't' think Titan has the stuff available to build one.

Curious what the weight ratio is on that Coahulla belt squat...50%?

Those offset arms look sweet and I'm tempted to order some.

bobmen10000

Post by bobmen10000 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:39 pm

murphyreedus wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:37 pm I still like my DIY belt squat out of a 70" Titan crossmember, but I don't' think Titan has the stuff available to build one.

Curious what the weight ratio is on that Coahulla belt squat...50%?

Those offset arms look sweet and I'm tempted to order some.
I really want the arms to come in sometime before I prep for a meet, say within a few more months... They look good and would be very useful for me but Coahulla is so overwhelmed right now due to the influx of Candito fans. They should shut down all orders (assuming they haven't) for a few months to catch up.